Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of talk about cycle time .Do 2 or 3 seconds really matter ?My home built has an 11 HP Briggs, 16 GPM two stage pump and a 5" cylinder .The transfer is set right at 1000 PSI ,relief set low at 2500 PSI .It seldom shifts to high pressure .It will cycle faster than I can feed it and I don't run the engine much above 2/3 throttle .
I might add that big cylinder is a Parker-Hannifin super duty rated right on the tag at 4500 PSI .It had spent it's life of at least 40 years as a clamp cylinder on a large piece of industrial machinery in the manufacture of automotive engines .It's doubtful I will ever wear it out on a log splitter .

For a dozen or less cords per year, it probably doesn't matter much. I burn about 20 between my house and my syrup operation. I plan on increasing my syrup production, so that number might go up. Also, I'd like to sell another 10-12 per year. I'm planning on keeping my splitter in service for at least 20 years, so I wanted to buy once and cry once. I do really like the fast cycle time and 4 way wedge. It's awesome to see a pile of splits appear in a hurry. Everyone has totally different needs though.

mncutter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think a log lift would be nice to have on a splitter. I'm guessing my pump on the tractor would be fast enough for me. I will have to start looking at different brands. I just want it to last a long time. Ryan thanks for the offer to look at yours. If I know if I'm going your way sometime I will try to get ahold of you in advance and try to work something out to look at yours. Thanks everyone for your ideas.