Chains used on log cutting machines

Dave Sr.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have built a log cutting machine and I am currently using a Stihl 034 AV chain saw with a 20" bar. Is there anybody on this forum that is familiar with the chains used on log cutting machines. My understanding is most of these that use a chain for cutting use hydraulic motors to drive the chain. From videos I've watched, they zip right through a big log real fast. I am wondering if they use a chain that is different than a regular chain saw uses, are the depth gauges filed shorter, what RPM the chain drive sprocket turns. I am currently designing a specially built chain saw that would be driven by a stationary 4 cylinder motor which should give me plenty of power and torque. Please let me know if you have any info, suggestions or questions. The machine works pretty well with the chain saw on it now but I must feed the saw fairly slow.

Thank You, Dave Sr.

Attachments

• 100_1885.JPG
    100_1885.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_1893.JPG
    100_1893.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 28

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
5:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of them use a semi chisel chain so it stays sharp longer. But those chains are driven by hydraulic motors powered by 20-30? hp and up engines. The chain spins fast and gets forced through the log quicker than your saw.
I’d use a full chisel chain if your wood is clean. Semi chisel will last longer but won’t be as fast

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
3:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have built a log cutting machine and I am currently using a Stihl 034 AV chain saw with a 20" bar. Is there anybody on this forum that is familiar with the chains used on log cutting machines. My understanding is most of these that use a chain for cutting use hydraulic motors to drive the chain. From videos I've watched, they zip right through a big log real fast. I am wondering if they use a chain that is different than a regular chain saw uses, are the depth gauges filed shorter, what RPM the chain drive sprocket turns. I am currently designing a specially built chain saw that would be driven by a stationary 4 cylinder motor which should give me plenty of power and torque. Please let me know if you have any info, suggestions or questions. The machine works pretty well with the chain saw on it now but I must feed the saw fairly slow.

Thank You, Dave Sr.

I think most of the new ones use a 1/2” or 3/4” Semi Chisel chain on a big Harvester bar driven by hydraulics. The big chains are a lot more durable. Even .404 will cut faster for longer if you have the power to pull it.

Dave Sr.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the replies guys. Building the new saw will be my Winter project. I'll check around to see where I can get 1/2" or 3/4" pitch chains, bars and drive sprockets for them. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Dave Sr.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the reply huskihl. I don't know if you would call it a powerhead or not. The power source that I'm planning on for the saw is a 4 cylinder car engine that is mounted on the log cutters frame ahead of axle and drives the saw with a drive shaft and then chain or belt drive to the saw. This should give me plenty of HP and torque for the saw and also can run an air compressor for the air over hydraulic system that I'm using to move the saw. You can check my thread (Log cutting machine under Tree Work Equipment) on this Forum if you want more info on how I built the machine.

Thank You, Dave Sr.

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
.404 .080 is super common on processors and the likes around here. I have a box full of it that I will probably never use. I'm not sure how much HP you are planning on running, but the .404 .080 is generally good up to 65 hp, 3/4 you will find is good to 90-100HP.
While it is more complicated to build, I would lean more towards using your stationary engine to run a hydraulic pump and turning the chain with a hydraulic motor, as they generally don't want a whole pile of rpm.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
3:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s some huge stuff. May as well start up an OSB mill to get rid of the chips.
Yeah. I made some bolo ties out of it for a friend’s wedding and ended up with a roll. I thought I might try to build a chain mortiser, but the roll is just taking up space. It’s cool stuff. Could be fun on a bike saw or something. .404 is probably more practical in the long run.

Dave Sr.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. I've done some checking with google on 3/4", 1/2" and .404 chain and bars. 82f100swb you say you have .404 on hand, can you make that up into chain loops I'm thinking about a 30" bar. I don't think I'd need anything bigger than that probably 24" would do. Do you have any suggestions on where I can get a bar and a drive sprocket for .404 .080 chain. Can any of you guys tell me what RPM the chain drive sprocket would need to be when making a cut.

Thanks Everybody, Dave Sr.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
5:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saws will turn about 10k with a 7 tooth. Not certain what a hydro motor turns but the math says 5k and a 14t would be the same chain speed. But no bogging if you pushed it. I’d look into harvester bars. Might give Stahl’s Sawmill in PA a call as I believe they sell quite a bit of processor/harvester type stuff and could probably help

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@ Dave Sr.

If you need bits & pieces that these gents don’t have you can check out this place.

Go to GB Products or Orbit sections.

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oregon recommends 8000 ft/mn on the .404, and 6000 on the 3/4.
I actually have a couple harvester bars hanging on the wall, and the chain that I have is all in 93dl loops for a Weratah processor head. I believe they are for a 27" setup, which I don't think either of my bars are.
Shipping would probably be rediculious from this side of the border though.

I too was going to suggest harvesterbars.com, I don't have any experience with them other than using their site as a reference, but they seem to have everything.

Dave Sr.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the replies and info guys. I checked out harvesterbars.com. Have any of you guys used any of that Orbit brand chain that they sell it sure is really low priced compared to other brands?

Dave Sr.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought 2 404 Oregon Harvester bars on Ebay. These are used bars, they looked good in the pictures but I won't know for sure until they are delivered. In the add it says they are 32 and 1/2" so they are probably 28" to 30" cut. I also have found a Dodge slant six engine mounted on a combine that I can have for free. It's about 60 miles from where I live. I went there yesterday and checked it out, it's been setting for about 6 years since it was last run but it turns over and isn't seized so when I get it home I'll put some oil in the cylinders and check compression to see what it's going to need. I was planning on a 4 cylinder but being this engine is free and all I have to do is remove it from the combine and bring it home it should work. These engines can be anywhere from about 90 to 140 HP. I have some more parts lined up for the saw and I will start a thread in chainsaws when I have something more to show.

Dave Sr.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a little more done on the new saw I'm building for my log cutting machine. I didn't get the 2 harvester bars I ordered on Ebay the seller never shipped them so I'm asking Ebay for a refund. I bought another brand new Oregon 75 centimeter 404 bar from another seller on Ebay and it's on its way and should be delivered tomorrow. I got a 14 slot 404 drive sprocket and the bearings for the shaft that drives the chain. I'm going to pull the six cylinder motor from the combine tomorrow and bring it home. I probably won't be posting on this thread unless I need more info on the 404 chains as this is supposed to be just chains. To see my progress on the saw check my thread Log cutting machine under Tree Work Equipment

Thank You, Dave Sr.

Attachments

• 100_1903.JPG
    100_1903.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_1906.JPG
    100_1906.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_1905.JPG
    100_1905.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Dave Sr.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anybody had any experience with Orbit chains from HarvesterBars.com. I just ordered a .404 pitch .080 gauge 88 drive link chain from them. The chain was $27.19 plus $15.16 shipping total $42.35. If you know anything about these chains or suggestion on what 404 chains are best and cost please let me know. I'll let you know what I think of these chains when it is delivered

Thank You, Dave Sr.