XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
6:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
51/55 muffler bolts will work on these.
Looks a little funny with the squares on the front but theres enough meat to grind them down to a 5/16 (8mm) hex.
Most everybody has a carcass or four of those laying around...
Thanks for the tip! Never even crossed my mind because they are the floating type. I’ll Check my dealers junk pile on the way home from fastenal if they don’t have them.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Them metal seal container can be used to set the flywheel bearing in correct depth, it has the same dimension as the service tool has (#502 50 30 10).

PTO seal is 1.5mm above the surface, not sure how deep it can be set before the seal start to have fun with the bearing

Thanks Tor. I test fitted the seal carrier without the o-ring on it to make sure there wasn’t any interference with the bearing and it was good.

To be honest I couldn’t remember how deep the PTO side seal was when I tore it apart. I did seat it flush with the case, it didn’t feel like it bottomed out on the bearing. Hope I don’t have any problems.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excellent clean and mechanically great build here Josh. I loved my 254, it was my baby. I was naive and thought it was too old and sold it on. I think if they improved the AV and threw away the EPA rule book then it would still be a great saw for the current market.

Btw FWIW I would liberally brush on some 2 stroke mix all over those plastics and leave it overnight to evap the fuel and then buff the residue off with a cloth by hand. Oil with the fuel seems to penetrate the plastic pretty well over night and will bring back some of its colour and lustre.
Thanks Adam, glad you enjoyed the rebuild, I did:).
I’ll try that on the plastics, they definitely need something done to them. I’ve heard pledge works good also. I tried some progressive sanding on one side but I need to get some finer sand paper to finish it.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
11:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Adam, glad you enjoyed the rebuild, I did:).
I’ll try that on the plastics, they definitely need something done to them. I’ve heard pledge works good also. I tried some progressive sanding on one side but I need to get some finer sand paper to finish it.
PLEDGE! Well at least it will smell nice ;)

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found the exhaust deflector if you still need one. The muffler bolts are still available too. (which are shared with the 242 series). Can toss them in the box with Joe's 242 stuff if you'd like.
Yes I still need the heat shield, thanks much for hunting it down. I’m not sure when Joe was planning on getting his stuff from you, if he’s going to wait a bit I’d rather just get the deflector and bolts sooner. Let me shoot him a text and I’ll let you know. Thanks bob!

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a new fuel cap and tank vent assembly at my local dealer yesterday. Yeah, the cap leaked despite replacing the o-ring and the vent leaked also. I also ordered an 18” , .325 Tsumura bar from Nate this morning. Once the bar and muffler bolts arrive I’ll be making a video of its first cuts. Excited to run this saw :)

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Replaced the cap and fuel vent today. Cap sealed up, vent still leaks a little when the Saw is on its sideo_O. It leaks less than it did before but alas it still leaks. I seated the new vent as firmly as I could without damaging it, same with the new puck in the vent tube. Did I miss something? Is this telling me I need a new tank eventually?

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
11:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Replaced the cap and fuel vent today. Cap sealed up, vent still leaks a little when the Saw is on its sideo_O. It leaks less than it did before but alas it still leaks. I seated the new vent as firmly as I could without damaging it, same with the new puck in the vent tube. Did I miss something? Is this telling me I need a new tank eventually?

It is telling you that Husqvarna tank vents are useless. Stihl has the market regards tank vents. Gotta give them one advantage [emoji6]

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is that vent the type that takes two pucks?? One large and one small?? The 359 had that type and I made the mistake of not noticing and it did leak with just the one small puck in place. Put the second one in and voila.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that vent the type that takes two pucks?? One large and one small?? The 359 had that type and I made the mistake of not noticing and it did leak with just the one small puck in place. Put the second one in and voila.
The kit they gave me only had the small puck for the vent tube itself in it. Guess I better look at the IPL and see if I’m missing something. Thanks joe.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is telling you that Husqvarna tank vents are useless. Stihl has the market regards tank vents. Gotta give them one advantage [emoji6]
Not useless, it’s venting quite well but is being an over achiever by venting fuel in addition to vapor...lol

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hmmmm..... stupid pucks....

I didn't end up replacing the vent and puck on the 242 when I put it together last weekend because I didn't want to brave the cold to go down to the barn and get more tools again! LOL!

I'll swap it out later...when it's warmer