Your saw shop’s air compressor

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
6:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 131909 20 gal Iron Horse. Bought it from a guy bout 5 yrs ago along with couple box store chainsaws he threw in for $35. Some minor plumbing and it works well. Never had to wait on it but sometimes the pressure does get a little low
Iron horse bit the dust. Cost of new motor extremely prohibitive. Replaced with 20 gal HF McGraw model. We’ll see how that holds up. Thinking bout plumbing the IH tank in to the mac compressor. Any of yas done that? Should be fairly simple.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oil less compressors are all loud. If you want quieter than get one that requires oil

You must not ave heard of California Air tools. I have a 2 horse
Model # 4620AC so quiet that you can talk right next to it when running.This one is over 5CFM @ 90PSI and claimed at 3000 hrs before rebuilding.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There is also a 5hp v-twin in the out of town garage that is a bit louder than the Cali mentioned above, and another 5hp twin in the home shop. Initially this one was loud, I did some modding on the intake with adding a much larger filter assy, the changes reduced the run db's a LOT.

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Iron horse bit the dust. Cost of new motor extremely prohibitive. Replaced with 20 gal HF McGraw model. We’ll see how that holds up. Thinking bout plumbing the IH tank in to the mac compressor. Any of yas done that? Should be fairly simple.
Had the HF Chinese McGraw for over a year now. No problems.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Beware of what I like to call "sears horsepower". They like to use locked rotor amp draw to calculate hp rating. They use the term peak hp. Total BS. If you want to know what the real hp is measure running amps times voltage to get watts and devide by 746 and you get the real hp.
Most people didn't know that ,I did .Miss - representation is an old marketing trick .They use it on just about everything .
With old compressors old names like Quincy or Kellog-American, Worthington are the real McCoy made to last almost forever .An old trick for high volume use on a smaller compressor like spray painting is tying in another pressure tank . For that I use a portable air tank like you use to blow up a flat tire in the middle of no where ,works fine .

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ratings on compressors are sales tricks.
If you want less noise go with a large displacement low RPM pump. A cast iron pump is quieter than aluminum.

At work i have a Saylor-Beal 4 cylinder 2stage 71/2 hp 3phase with a 160 gall. tank. It is also pressure lubed. USA made.
The pump runs at 740 rpm. Sounds like a thumping Harley instead of a screaming chainsaw.

My little DeWalt portable at home makes more noise than the Saylor-Beal.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A cast iron pump is quieter than aluminum.
I was told that. Bought a small, cast iron, oil lubed Craftsman compressor several years ago: noisiest thing I ever heard. Keep it in the garage to inflate tires, and to blow things off, but won't run it after dark - would really disturb the neighbors.

I don't go by the HP ratings, but by the air delivery. E.g. 10 CFM @ 90 PSI.

Philbert

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've put together some real Rube Goldburgs that worked real good when I was so poor to even pay attention .One used the after burner injection pump from a Chevy and a 1/2 HP electric motor .I could blow a tire up with it though, no tank just a rotary compressor with a clip on air nozzle .It did take some time though to blow up a tractor tire .Beats a bicycle pump .

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Quincy low speed7.5 cfm on a 60 gal, aQuincy 15 cfm (ls) on a 80 gal and A Westinghouse 50cfm on a 120 gal. all are 3 ph. The Westinghouse is a 2 stage w/ intercooler 3 cylinder unit powered with a 10 hp motor- paid the horrific price of $100 for it some 12 years ago. ( yep deal of a lifetime) powers my blasting apparatus. That 7.5 Quincy is going home one of these days with a replacement 1ph 220 v motor.

As was mentioned its all about CFM, hp means next to nothing. dosen't help if you have wait 5 or 6 minutes to get enough pressure up for another squirt on an air wench or other items- some of those tools are real air hogs another area where paying attention to the cfm requirements ( not just the pressure) comes in to play

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well yes on impact wrenches .Mine at the house with a little dinky Craftsman at about 85- 90 PSI they don't do good. At the shop with about 140-150 PSI and two 60 gallon tanks they do just fine .I might add at the shop I have an air over hydraulic car hoist that will lift a pick up truck with about 60 PSI .I can raise that hoist 4 or 5 times with both tanks at full pressure before the compressor kicks on .I might add on that set up which I built I have a continuous run switch that bypasses the pressure switch .It's a small 4 cylinder Quincy and I can get 200 PSI but it takes a long time to get there .