Your saw shop’s air compressor

J. Loe

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I inherited an oil-less craftsman 1.5horse 15gal that blows alright but holy chit is it loud.
Migraine making and doesn’t seem like she blows that good.
spin_prod_206527001

I’ve never been around a decent compressor.
All the ones I’ve been able to use are beat and busted.

Discussing this at werk, I was suggested an oil lubed unit that should blow and be quieter.

For my car wrenching I use a plug in 1/2” impact that does the trick but I figure every decent shop has air sooo..

What do you fellows like for saw cleaning and mechanical tools.?

I wouldn’t use these for painting as I absolutely hate painting and sanding.

What blow guns do you like?
What other tools do you find handy? (Die-grinders?)
What size regulator/hoses?

I’m really in the dark about these but I was thinking something like.

1910441_700x700.jpg

Or

campbell-hausfeld-portable-air-compressors-vx4011-64_1000.jpg

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bit the bullet a year ago for the shop and sold the 1946 PAR and bought a Quincy QT54. All made in america. Added a magnetic starter to save the pressure switch and an automatic tank drain. Gets used every day. No complaints yet. I have a bunch of air tools. I like Milton fittings. HF ones kinda suck. I hate the oil less compressors. The technology was developed for small low volume compressors to be built into machines. They suck for a real shop compressor

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you use an high powered Aircat like I do then you should look into the V style connectors as they allow the use the M style along those tools that need the extra air flow. At 100 ft of 3/8 hose the M style couplers and plugs was dropping my pressure at the impact to 20 psi effectively making the impact useless. I couldn't even loosen lug nuts torque 50 ft-lbs. There are other hi-flow couplers and plugs on the market but they are dedicated to using the same style on all your tools. Since I change over I can now easily remove metal type locking nuts that tighten to 300 ft-lbs and even drive them back on while cross threading.

And your right about those HF couplers and plugs as they not even M style flow rated.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an ancient Sanden 115v compressor with about a 30 gallon tank. It was, and is, a quality machine but leaks pretty bad and needs to be completely replumbed. It works great for blow guns, air ratchets, and small impacts but just barely functions my Matco branded IR-232 1/2" impact. Rural King sells some nice ones that are made in Kentucky, I forget the brand. I really need to get a new one but I'm cheap and lazy. Probably glue the old one together with Permatex Form-a-Gasket and try to squeeze another 40 years out of it.

J. Loe

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an ancient Sanden 115v compressor with about a 30 gallon tank. It was, and is, a quality machine but leaks pretty bad and needs to be completely replumbed. It works great for blow guns, air ratchets, and small impacts but just barely functions my Matco branded IR-232 1/2" impact. Rural King sells some nice ones that are made in Kentucky, I forget the brand. I really need to get a new one but I'm cheap and lazy. Probably glue the old one together with Permatex Form-a-Gasket and try to squeeze another 40 years out of it.

Hero.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Basically it is the same power class as my Aircat 1150 and I have no problems with power levels with my 40+ yr Manga 25 gallon compressor except on long hard removals even then the compressor keeps up fairly well. For most removals through just a bump or two is all is needed. I actually need watch it so I don't send a nut, bolt, and/or socket across the yard. The old Campbell Hausfeld would drain the tank; I actually just gave it away because it was so useless.

What I suggest is to do a pressure drop test by installing an gauge at the impact and you probably find you connectors are the problem. No matter how much line pressure you have an restriction will effective kill it. It is like running your race car or lawn mower with restrictor plates. Yes there lawn mower engines that I work on that has restrictor plates.

Also as you mention you should either repair your current setup or upgrade. Currently you are just wasting a lot resources. Being cheap and lazy is actually can cost you enough to pay for a new setup. Just a small leak at one couple was costing me an extra $20 per month on my electric bill as the compressor would fire up several times a day when it was not in use but of course my setup has a 5hp electric motor driving it.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At the house I have a 3HP Craftsman single stage which does okay .At the shop I have a 5 HP thrown together from parts,two stage set at 145 on,160 off dumping into two 60 gallon tanks .
I've been tinkering with a 10 HP set on top of a 125 gallon tank I haven't finished yet . This one is three phase so I'll need to throw together another phase converter large enough to run this one .

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When it comes to filters it depends on what you plan to use the compressor for. If you plan to do painting or sand or soda blasting you need a particulate filter an oil coalescing filter and possibly a water separating filter. If just using power tools then a filter, regulator, lubricator will do. I don't want oil in my air so I just lube my tools manually and use a particulate/water separater and coalescing filter.
Home garage grade filter
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/SMC-AC40-N04E-Z-B/p50991.html

oologahan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very quiet, 60 gal tank, paid 50.00 dollars for it and put a new pressure switch on it. I bought it on an auction site and had no idea how large it was. We had a crane and three guys slide into the back of my Dodge B2500 van and I made a ramp to slid it out onto a dolley by myself. One reason you should never date from internet pictures, size in picture may be larger than what it appears.

Attachments

• 20160307_175234.jpg
    20160307_175234.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 69

Hacksaw

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I dont have a picture of it but i bought a ingersol rand from a friend that did their warrenty work,it has a 7.5 hp industral motor
( way more than i need) 80 gallon tank,with auto bleeder and intercooler, set to cut off at 180psi,it was practically new with a brand new motor and all new aluminum lines for 700.00 installed pretty good deal i thought,i never run out of air.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dont have a picture of it but i bought a ingersol rand from a friend that did their warrenty work,it has a 7.5 hp industral motor
( way more than i need) 80 gallon tank,with auto bleeder and intercooler, set to cut off at 180psi,it was practically new with a brand new motor and all new aluminum lines for 700.00 installed pretty good deal i thought,i never run out of air.

Sweet deal! And that's a you suck deal lol.

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a kobalt 60gal,wish I had got a 80gal. I had started with the roll around 30 gallon kobalt after getting 5 warranty replacement I got the store manage to sell me the 60 gal for the cost of the 30 gal

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your compressor does not seem to blow good, is it getting up to pressure? Does raising the regulator pressure help it blow better? It won't blow very long at high pressure with a small tank.
My wife got me a Craftsman oil less 60 gallon almost 25 years ago for my birthday. At the time, they were made by Devilbiss. It does everything I want it to do. Loud? Yes. It reminds you to wear ear protection in the shop. If not, hearing aids later in life that cost as much as a 2 stage compressor (ask me how I know). I had to resleeve and rering it about 5 years ago after I overheated it sandblasting, but I should have known better.