High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Works for 1/4in and 3/8in chains? (Harbor Freight)

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This disc in the link below is for the Harbor Freight el cheapo grinder and says it is for both 1/4 and 3/8 inch chains. Does that compute, is that possible?

My brother gave me a HF grinder; I don't have much confidence in it, seems poorly made, sloppy but seems I have read some who like it just fine and we have a local friend who swears by his!

My bro bought one for himself but I am not even sure he has 1/4 or 3/8 inch chain, he has a Stihl saw and I think it is a ms180 (he used to have two, a 170-ish model and a 180-ish model and gave one away) and I see that the 170 and 180 come with a 3/8 PMM3 chain, whatever that is. Not sure that would be compatible with regular 3/8" pitch. If anyone knows, advise!

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-14-...nding-disc-for-chain-saw-sharpener-68243.html

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This disc in the link below is for the Harbor Freight el cheapo grinder and says it is for both 1/4 and 3/8 inch chains. Does that compute, is that possible?

My brother gave me a HF grinder; I don't have much confidence in it, seems poorly made, sloppy but seems I have read some who like it just fine and we have a local friend who swears by his!

My bro bought one for himself but I am not even sure he has 1/4 or 3/8 inch chain, he has a Stihl saw and I think it is a ms180 (he used to have two, a 170-ish model and a 180-ish model and gave one away) and I see that the 170 and 180 come with a 3/8 PMM3 chain, whatever that is. Not sure that would be compatible with regular 3/8" pitch. If anyone knows, advise!

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-14-...nding-disc-for-chain-saw-sharpener-68243.html
Is it the 1/4 wheel for 3/8 low profile chain? I believe that is what comes factory on an MS170/180.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
7:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have one. The only thing I use it for is if I really rock a chain. I have used it to get cutters back to even. It will cut whe. You’re done using it but it’s not like a good sharpening. I use the grinder. Then I sharpen that with a file. I kinda like it but I don’t use it much. Just occasionally

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it the 1/4 wheel for 3/8 low profile chain? I believe that is what comes factory on an MS170/180.

If you look at the link you see that it is one wheel and says "for sharpening 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch pitch chains." And I am no chain expert but how can it be both, I am asking does this make sense that this one wheel is for both of those sizes.

And I would also need a wheel for .325 inch, as well, because I also own saws with that. I do not see a Harbor Freight wheel for .325 inch.

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm guessing a thin wheel will sharpen any chain as long as very small advances are made with the chain stop and a very light hand is used when working with .375 teeth.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’ll sharpen any chain, but will leave more of the gullet to file by hand.

Typically, 1/8” wheels are for 1/4, 3/8 lo pro, and .325

3/16 wheels are for 3/8 and .404
^^^= That! =^^^

Manufacturers often neglect to clearly point out "3/8" Picco/LowProfile/Hobby", instead they just say "3/8".

Full size 3/8" and 3/8" Picco/LowProfile/Hobby are two completely different chains, even though the 3/8" would suggest otherwise!

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From my experience it works a little more like a chop saw vs slipping up and under the tooth. That’s why I file after I’ve ground on that machine. It will make a dull chain cut again though. Lots of people really just can’t sharpen. So for those. I’d recommend the unit. It’s ok

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From my experience it works a little more like a chop saw vs slipping up and under the tooth. That’s why I file after I’ve ground on that machine. It will make a dull chain cut again though. Lots of people really just can’t sharpen. So for those. I’d recommend the unit. It’s ok
I had a cheap supermarket grinder, to me it wasn't worth the electricity it spent.
Had it sitting on the shelf for years collecting dust, finally sold it a couple months ago.
The new owner is delighted with its grind, says that his saw cuts great.
I don't even want to know what his idea of "sharp" is.

So far I "like" my MAXX grinder, far from perfect but acceptable.
Grinding a rocked chain sure beats filing away at it.
And, I agree - touching up a ground chain with a file will give it a sharper edge.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The HF grinder is a ‘cheap’ tool in every respect. I do not like the fine grit, red/brown wheels that current models come with. And by the time you upgrade the wheels, you might as well have bought a better grinder to begin with.

I posted a multi-page thread on it on A.S. if interested in the details of my trip down those rabbit holes.

But, to your specific question, ‘Yes’ different thicknesses grinding wheels are recommended for different pitch chains. While there are 5 diameters of round files recommended (5/32” to 7/32”, by 1/64” increments), there are usually only 2 wheel thicknesses recommended (1/8” and 3/16”).

As noted, above, you can shape your cutters in multiple steps, or you can dress / profile an A/O wheel to different edge shapes to match a different cutter shape.

This applies to any grinder, in general. But some of the smaller, cheap grinders do not have enough arbor threads, or clearance under the guards/covers, to mount thicker wheels.

Philbert

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a fairly inexpensive grinder I bought from Bailey's, but, I ended up replacing it with a more expensive Oregon clone. Unless I am doing ripping chain, I usually use the 1/8" wheel for the .325, 3/8 low pro, and regular 3/8 chain. I have had various cheap grinders, they end up being more trouble then they are worth, especially in the repeatability department because of loose tolerances or knobs vibrating free or just having an inferior chain stop.

Kind of like buying a cheap auto darkening welding helmet. You can not appreciate how bad cheap $590ish auto darkening helmets are from HF and NT until you use a much better one for $130 from Lincoln. Chain grinders are the same way in my experience.