Will a chainsaw run on Coleman fuel?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fuels by and large are often a bone of contention .Weather a two cycle engine can be driven to a point of actual "detonation " to occur is often debated .The original formulation I believe was simply heptane and isooctane .Over the years that has changed because unlike original refineries they no longer use vacuum distillation units .It's much more complex these days . I'm not saying a saw engine won't fly apart like a dollar watch because they will and do .Unless some brave soul decides to run some mixture of home made rocket fuel regular gasoline won't do it .Best advice on that is put on a set of plate armor before you try it .

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fuels by and large are often a bone of contention .Weather a two cycle engine can be driven to a point of actual "detonation " to occur is often debated .The original formulation I believe was simply heptane and isooctane .Over the years that has changed because unlike original refineries they no longer use vacuum distillation units .It's much more complex these days . I'm not saying a saw engine won't fly apart like a dollar watch because they will and do .Unless some brave soul decides to run some mixture of home made rocket fuel regular gasoline won't do it .Best advice on that is put on a set of plate armor before you try it .
I have personally seen detonation on high performance 2 cycle like bikes snomobiles and pwc. The detonation i saw was caused by different things. But all were from being close to the edge and something pushed it over the edge and they went lean.