Why Do People Complain About Trufuel?

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally, I always thot it was pretty good stuff and convenient. Yet there are internet know-it-alls who bad mouth that brand of premix. What is the complaints, beside price?

Buckin Up

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I`ve gotten far better results running Red Armor or VP gas. Any time i`ve tried TruFuel in the past, engines seemed lazy and ran hotter. But i`m no fuel expert, i let the equipment do the talking.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FRom the comments I have seen - my guess is that it is a low octane rated fuel- the symptoms mentioned jive with that assumption. a 93 octane -no ethanol fuel will run cooler and give performance up to snuff, using synthetic oil for the mix. 2.6 oz oil to 1 gal gas. 50-1 for most current saws. only note is that new out of box saws are tuned a bit to lean from the factory to make epa regs.

Brad Button

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally, I always thot it was pretty good stuff and convenient. Yet there are internet know-it-alls who bad mouth that brand of premix. What is the complaints, beside price?
This guy test all sorts of things. This video is testing Tru Fuel. One thing I might add, a friend of mine sells Tru Fuel and we got to looking at the 1 gallon can, you only get 3/4 of a gallon, not a full gallon. It was the same on all sizes of cans.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
when 93 octane (Ethanol free) + 2.6oz of 2 stroke oil costs me 20/gal i might look at it, ops it's only 3/4 gal in tru fuel can- guess it will be awhile before i do that.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I for one don't give two shakes of a lamb's tail what people feed their chainsaws .I'm just not going to pay the price that stuff costs nor am I going to run aviation gasoline in a danged chainsaw like some promote .IMO all this stuff is good for is to promote lively conversation .

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Known to cause run issues….irrational idle and not letting equipment reach its full RPM potential. Seen it first hand. I don’t recommend it.
My local stihl dealer showed me a fried 261 and a fs90 from the same owner
That had the same fuel from the Same can
He tested it and found little to no oil in the can.
He'd gotten many complaints about equipment running poor with truefuel
Over the year's these were the only one's he's seen burned up.

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One thing I might add, a friend of mine sells Tru Fuel and we got to looking at the 1 gallon can, you only get 3/4 of a gallon, not a full gallon. It was the same on all sizes of cans.

I'm not a truefuel fan, but no where on the can or by them do they use the word "gallon" on the gallon sized can. It says right on the bottom 110 oz. If I had to guess, maybe the mass manufacture of that can (same for the 4.75gal size one) is a full 1 or 5 gallon at 100%, but u need to leave some air space to allow for expansion. I've only bought one 110-oz can years ago, of the 4-cycle fuel, specifically to reuse the can to mix my own 40:1 in 80 oz batches (which lasts me the whole year) using a pyrex measuring cup.

until i see some reliable testing, it's all marketing words, and i would not trust their mass manufacture oil mix fillup for their cans. Local gas station gas (even with ethanol) is still the best and most reliable is mixing [quality] oil yourself.

Also, u tune your carb for ethanol gas station gas, which is a ~11:1 stoich ratio because of the ethanol, and it'll run fine. But non-ethanol gas that has the traditional 14.7:1 stoich ratio you have to adjust the carb or it'll run like crap. Whenever you use a different fuel, EFI in cars with O2 sensors can accomodate that [today] but bikes/boats/OPE with carbs cannot, and it's more noticeable when going from hot summer to cold winter.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I for one don't give two shakes of a lamb's tail what people feed their chainsaws .I'm just not going to pay the price that stuff costs nor am I going to run aviation gasoline in a danged chainsaw like some promote .IMO all this stuff is good for is to promote lively conversation .
Bring on the aviation fuel. Love it.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another example of It making stuff run like crap.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting. I’ve bought and used it several times just to have a handy metal fuel can. I didn’t notice any differences after tuning the saw up.

Also - almost all these metal fuel cans have a metal cap under the plastic safety cap. The safety thing wears out but you can easily pry the plastic cover off. Just install cap and pry up with a screwdriver! I do it to all of mine

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To me it's comical .About like Coleman mantle lantern and camp stove fuel .Originally designed to use "white gas " which you can still buy in gallon cans at about 14 bucks a pop .News flash they don't use lead in modern gasoline and it sells for around $3.50 a gallon .However I suppose if you wanted a nice metal can that says Colemen that would be the way to go .Kind of like go faster bumper bolts on a '57 Chevy .

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The big ploy here is no ethanol in the true fuel. and we all know what that ethanol does to small engines even with stabilizers. White Gas is difficult to find now days, 93 octane no ethanol is around in certain areas /stations. what ever going rate is still cheaper than Coleman and Trufuel. People buy into the hype though- that is what marketing is all about..

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My opinion is these ae not your fathers Oldsmoniles or your grand fathers Homelite .That Olds engine would not last for 200 thousand miles .In recent years the designs on chainsaw engines and automotive stuff has been modified to be almost ethanol proof .As for the Colemans back in the day they did just fine on leaded gasoline but too much would foul the jets if used in excess .Back in the days of the model A Fords that was low octane rated gasoline but they run just fine on modern gasoline.Fact so do my old 50 plus year old tractor engines .

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To me it's comical .About like Coleman mantle lantern and camp stove fuel .Originally designed to use "white gas " which you can still buy in gallon cans at about 14 bucks a pop .News flash they don't use lead in modern gasoline and it sells for around $3.50 a gallon .However I suppose if you wanted a nice metal can that says Colemen that would be the way to go .Kind of like go faster bumper bolts on a '57 Chevy .

what do you mean? I don't get the sentence jump from white gas in gallon cans to lead in modern gas.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
During the time Coleman mantle lanterns and gasoline camp stoves were popular the reason for white gas was because the tetraethyl lead

in regular gasoline used at the time period could foul the jets . The lead was an anti knock compound removed during the early 70's . The mention of gallon cans which Coleman fuel comes in was an attempt at humor because some people collect vessels with trade names on them . I thought it was funny but I suppose some people would not .----I could explain go faster bumper bolts if you like or porta walls for tires if you want a history lesson .

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
go fast goodies- primarly design to attack pay check, that list is endless - even today.