Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think porting level and saw design is speculative, who cut fire wood branches with a piped 088?
I think a few simple upgrades will suffice on an already good saw ,to make it the one you grab all the time.
Frankly if you spend the time being the best chain sharpener you can you'll out cut most saws.
I agree, a sharp chain will make up for a saws perceived lack of power!

One of my 3120s is ported. Have a mountain of this to cut. Along with lots of other random weekend warrior cutting jobs. View attachment 297085
How much to get one of those logs shipped to me? :D
I'd like to try my sharpening skills on something petrified like that. ;)

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I think your over thinking it :rolleyes: lol... like we all do.

Keep a small light 35-42cc saw for brush work not ported. You can mod the mufkin and do a base gasket delete if you must. Good for general trimming but not bucking. Lighter is better in the heat.

Keep a medium sized saw not ported for storm cleanups, dead dry wood or cutting fire damage. You need to be clogged up with screens so a minimum of a dual port. That will be a long time runner to take into the bushes or chopping up dead stuff during the dry hot weather. It will sip gas and not start a fire, hopefully. It might run a bit cooler by not being messed with. Other than that or a mild climbing saw... port it.

The known good factory runners usually just get the warm over with a big mufkin mod, advanced ignition timing and no machine work to get more grunt. If your not doing machine work with the full monty you need to go chase RPMs in the cut. Simple changes like a better air filter with more flow will be your best friend in your usually cutting conditions there. Just moving the transfers and not doing a bunch of hacking around on the right model can change everything. I have a few ms361's that responded to specific mods in a big way. The mufkin was always crap so that got partially gutted with a port added, base gasket delete, transfers went up and the exhaust roof was widened a smidge. Base gasket delete and half off the key got me half way there. Not anywhere near a full port job and no machine work. Port gasket match, mesh filter and a polished band is about it. Blows 175psi with a very tight squish. It runs away from any mufkin modded base gasket deleted and timing bumped 362 here or the other modded 361's. The ported saw is apart, again for more work. Making more timing changes to out run the modded saw.