Which saw to use...

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
1:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have tried refueling when running ,if go to the top it shakes too much and the fuel splashes all over ,i can only fill till an inch or so below the cap when running ,it is hard to get the screw cap started also from the saw vibrating .I just kill the engine now ,because i do the bar oil at the same time .
Huskies don't have that problem. They're pretty smooth sitting there. The no spill jugs I can fill to the top.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mark I don't know what size he is trying to mill but I wouldn't use anything smaller that my 394s on my 30" Alaskan on local stuff here. 12' log , cutting 22-24" will take me 8-9 minutes to get through.

I milled with a 288 that had some extra bananas. It was OK... but I wouldn't strap a mill on anything less than 90cc's.

Your 2095 is a milling designed saw.

Chainsaw milling isn't cheap and if I knew I would spend as much as I did, I would have bought a band mill and been done with it.

Now the Super Whizz... I wouldn't even try. First off 1/2" chain is HARD to find. Second it's a manual only oiler. Buy something current and modern.. milling is hard on saws and you will have issues. I know at this point I despise my Husky front tension on the chain with an Alaskan Mill. 066/660 is a better saw by that respect; I feel they need porting work first though.

If you want come snag my mill and saw, play with it and see what you think.

unionvillecountryboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mark I don't know what size he is trying to mill but I wouldn't use anything smaller that my 394s on my 30" Alaskan on local stuff here. 12' log , cutting 22-24" will take me 8-9 minutes to get through.

I milled with a 288 that had some extra bananas. It was OK... but I wouldn't strap a mill on anything less than 90cc's.

Chainsaw milling isn't cheap and if I knew I would spend as much as I did, I would have bought a band mill and been done with it.

Now the Super Whizz... I wouldn't even try. First off 1/2" chain is HARD to find. Second it's a manual only oiler. Buy something current and modern.. milling is hard on saws and you will have issues. I know at this point I despise my Husky front tension on the chain with an Alaskan Mill. 066/660 is a better saw by that respect; I feel they need porting work first though.

Awesome info

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

5.5' long 27" wide cherry was 5 minutes a cut with my 046. No auxiliary oiler. This is with square filed chain. Semi chisel was a lot slower. I did some fuel tests in a 12x12 4' oak cant. Same saw and cut times were 1 minute 20 to 1 minute 40.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
5.5' long 27" wide cherry was 5 minutes a cut with my 046. No auxiliary oiler. This is with square filed chain. Semi chisel was a lot slower. I did some fuel tests in a 12x12 4' oak cant. Same saw and cut times were 1 minute 20 to 1 minute 40.
Mike I hope to mill some soon but having moved, baby due next month, work, etc... free time seems to escape me. I plan on trying some square milling next go round.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mike I hope to mill some soon but having moved, baby due next month, work, etc... free time seems to escape me. I plan on trying some square milling next go round.

I know you've been busier than me. You'll like the square milling especially with a grinder.

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I've done it more times than I can count. Probably more dangerous @ your 50/1 ratio Terry... :osvaisacagar::sing:
and WHAT possible reason could you have for that risky behavior? If saw is that hard to restart, (maybe) you need to address that problem? "Can't happen/ won't happen to me"? has sent too, too many to the ER/ ED or Morgue... your life, your family, but... (may I suggest) you Google "chainsaw fuel accidents" and/ or similar; here is one
http://www.wildfirelessons.net/High...tFileKey=73a6f0b0-a909-4560-a620-2c46dda2187c