cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
12:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is it?
Its called a sous vide (pronounced soo veed). Basically a hot water bath where you can set a precise temp (like 134 deg for medium rare steak etc) and more or less hold it at that temp, up to a couple hours. When ready, just sear quickly and you have a perfectly cooked steak every time.

cus_deluxe

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very common in restaurants that do a lot of steaks and dont have time to cook each one from cold. They can have a dozen medium rare or rare cuts held at the right temp and when an order comes you just pull it out of the bag and a quick sear is all it needs. Pretty cool

cus_deluxe

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, how did it work out?
It did its job well. They are very clear in the instructions that it does best with bigger cuts, steaks at least 1.5" thick, and the ones i had in the freezer werent quite that thick so after the grill they were a touch beyond where i wanted em. Where it really does great is with a whole tenderloin or really as big of a piece as you can fit in your vacuum bag.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
11:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It did its job well. They are very clear in the instructions that it does best with bigger cuts, steaks at least 1.5" thick, and the ones i had in the freezer werent quite that thick so after the grill they were a touch beyond where i wanted em. Where it really does great is with a whole tenderloin or really as big of a piece as you can fit in your vacuum bag.
Thanks.
Sounds like that might be just the ticket for a thick fillet.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I really like the results when I use souls vide for tri tip, going to do one tomorrow even.

cus_deluxe

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really like the results when I use souls vide for tri tip, going to do one tomorrow even.
The thing that got to mw a little when i opened the thing, theres absolutely no guide on how long to have you stuff in there. Instruction on mine literally say: seal in a bag, cook til its done, sear and enjoy. Well how fuggin long? Lol

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The thing that got to mw a little when i opened the thing, theres absolutely no guide on how long to have you stuff in there. Instruction on mine literally say: seal in a bag, cook til its done, sear and enjoy. Well how fuggin long? Lol

I hear you there. I do a bunch of googling and searching on YouTube for proven results. Tomorrow the tri tip will swim for about 6 hours before getting kissed by the coals.

I think the leaner cuts go shorter and the ones with greater fat go longer to help it all render.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ill have to try that, tho usually theres not much leftover with me haha
If I am firing up the Weber Smokey Mountain it isn’t just for the three of us. Always cook extra as it takes the same amount of fuel.

I think I just might need one.
Mine is an InkBird, lots of options out there.

0924F458-960E-4EBA-8EB9-1F7A8AABDA2F.png

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stock up on vacuum sealer bags or rolls too. Just upgraded my sealer this week, was having issues with the old one not sealing well enough.
Thanks.
My wife buys rolls of bags by the case.
We generally have to replace our sealer unit every couple of years. Ours gets used a lot.
If They weren't so large and cumbersome, I'd have a vacuum chamber unit.