Whats on the Grill or Smoker?

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
10:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My oldest was with his other family for Easter and missed turkey and has been bugging us to make him some. Thankfully this was enough but just...

F2B525D5-E6A9-4CD2-9EFB-EFAF8C44C11E.jpeg

Some Sesame Snap peas.

77390AC0-E09D-425C-9A92-FF65DF6A5B66.jpeg

Still some heat in the charcoal so toasted some marshmallows.

500BDA1E-8774-4764-8197-F75E74CB0ABF.jpeg

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
11:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can buy these ThermoPro TP-03 models for a fraction of the cost...about $15 each. These three have maintained within a single degree of each other for a couple of years now.

We ain’t reinventing the wheel here...buy these, be done with it. No sense in spending $75-100 bucks in a single meat probe thermometer.

FFED7771-333F-492F-8C11-4C56BD801259.jpeg

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can buy these ThermoPro TP-03 models for a fraction of the cost...about $15 each. These three have maintained within a single degree of each other for a couple of years now.

We ain’t reinventing the wheel here...buy these, be done with it. No sense in spending $75-100 bucks in a single meat probe thermometer.

View attachment 256067

Yeah, there's plenty of cheaper options. Before owning a thermapen, I never would have considered buying one. They really are great though, and there's a good reason they're the industry standard. Backlit, rotating display, completely waterproof, faster reading, excellent warranty, and NOT MADE IN CHINA.

No, they aren't for everyone, and they're not the cheapest tool for the job. But they're worth every penny in my book. Saying to buy the cheap crappy version is kinda like recommending a poulan from Walmart versus a 372. Yeah, for lots of guys, it's a better choice, but some of us know better....

crowslayer17

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought my father a Thermal end years ago and haven't had any issues with it. It was probably the original model, no backlight and it was $100 then. It has been worth it in my opinion. Might pick up the newer version for the light, seems like I'm always grilling or finishing in the dark. Especially in the winter when days are short. Still nice to have a head light to see your food though!
I'm sure these other brands have come a long way since then. I know I keep a cheap one in my truck just in case. It's nice to have cheaper options and I see those Therm Pros are rated 5 star and they have a waterproof version for ~ $21.00. Makes good gifts too for people that like to eat dry leather.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
http://enews.thermoworks.com/q/tGMd...5lQGdtYWlsLmNvbcOIHgugIe35fqLtOD7NAxQKT3R0Mog

Got an email about some 30% off thermapens. They're pretty spendy at full price, but worth it. If you've been waiting for a sale, this is as cheap as I've seen them. Full warranty.

I love my Therma Pen. Wouldn't consider being without one.
The instant read is great if you're checking temps on a lot of different pieces of meat.
For checking temps on a load of sausage in the smoker, there's nothing better.
I have the cheaper version but since getting a Therma Pen, haven't pulled it out of the drawer.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, there's plenty of cheaper options. Before owning a thermapen, I never would have considered buying one. They really are great though, and there's a good reason they're the industry standard. Backlit, rotating display, completely waterproof, faster reading, excellent warranty, and NOT MADE IN CHINA.

No, they aren't for everyone, and they're not the cheapest tool for the job. But they're worth every penny in my book. Saying to buy the cheap crappy version is kinda like recommending a poulan from Walmart versus a 372. Yeah, for lots of guys, it's a better choice, but some of us know better....
Lmfao...so if I recently bought within the last few years, or suggest the ‘cheap ass *s-wordt’ version of Themo-Pro manufacturing is a bad move...yet they maintain within a single degree temp of your ‘372’...where’s your lead now, how much ground have you gained in the race? Exactly what I thought...

I’m willing to bet my two Thermo-Pro TP-20, remote, dual-probe meat thermometers are the same thing...just ‘cheap ass *s-wordt’ righto?

I’ve been doing this grilling/smoking *s-wordt for over four decades, was on a competition team for a few years, many, many yrs ago. Do you even remember slow ass analog meat thermometers...I’m willing to bet not. The only option avail decades ago.

But hey cowboy...”some of US know better”, righto? I can’t wait until I have to invest in ‘372’ meat thermometers...til’ then...these Wally World, Poulan Wild Things will certainly suffice.

Something tells me my grills and smokers are “cheap ass *s-wordt” as well...no doubt.

Carry on!

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lmfao...so if I recently bought within the last few years, or suggest the ‘cheap ass *s-wordt’ version of Themo-Pro manufacturing is a bad move...yet they maintain within a single degree temp of your ‘372’...where’s your lead now, how much ground have you gained in the race? Exactly what I thought...

I’m willing to bet my two Thermo-Pro TP-20, remote, dual-probe meat thermometers are the same thing...just ‘cheap ass *s-wordt’ righto?

I’ve been doing this grilling/smoking *s-wordt for over four decades, was on a competition team for a few years, many, many yrs ago. Do you even remember slow ass analog meat thermometers...I’m willing to bet not. The only option avail decades ago.

But hey cowboy...”some of US know better”, righto? I can’t wait until I have to invest in ‘372’ meat thermometers...til’ then...these Wally World, Poulan Wild Things will certainly suffice.

Something tells me my grills and smokers are “cheap ass *s-wordt” as well...no doubt.

Carry on!

I tell you what, if owning the more expensive version means I don't have to walk around with a chip on my shoulder about having the crappy knock off, it's worth every penny. Your post comes off with you sounding like a big blowhard. To me, anyway. Frankly, I don't give a crap what you cook on, what thermometer you use, what you drive, etc. You do you, man.

I literally posted a link for guys who might have been waiting for these to go on sale. That's not you. Why you responded telling me to buy the knock-off and be done with it is a mystery to me, but it was your choice. I stand by my response: those are probably great for lots of guys. I'm happy for them. And the analogy to the 372 still holds, if you cook burgers once a month, it's just like cutting up some 2" limbs when a storm rolls through. A poulan and a 372 will cut the same speed at that task. Perhaps if you ever have the joy of owning a thermapen, you'll understand how different the knock off is. Until then, carry on.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I apologize to the remainder of the participants of this thread. I don't know why I engaged in a stupid spat about a thermometer. Anyway, this is what's cooking here today. A shoulder, a fresh ham, and a couple little rib chunks a found in the freezer. I used a super sticky aged balsamic as the binder on the ham and I'm not super happy with the bark, but we've got another couple hours. Meat is around 165 right now. Not gonna wrap anything because I'm feeling lazy.rps20200827_144113_741.jpg

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I apologize to the remainder of the participants of this thread. I don't know why I engaged in a stupid spat about a thermometer. Anyway, this is what's cooking here today. A shoulder, a fresh ham, and a couple little rib chunks a found in the freezer. I used a super sticky aged balsamic as the binder on the ham and I'm not super happy with the bark, but we've got another couple hours. Meat is around 165 right now. Not gonna wrap anything because I'm feeling lazy.View attachment 256319
Ain’t no apology necessary...we all grown adults in here young man...everybody gotta method of madness. I don’t need a Therma-Pen to tell me accurate temps. Are they fine, absolutely. My comment about the cheaper version Thermo Pro temp/meat probes was not geared towards you and you only, young man...simply a suggestion to folks reading this thread. Simply an alternative that is spot on. And nothing wrong with posting the link you provided, to catch a Therma-Pen on sale. You did fine with that, and I’m sure some folks have jumped on then in here.

What you got smoking right now looks fine. Looks a heap better than killing out microwaved lemon&pepper, garlic, and hot wings, and a side of some celery and bleu cheese dressing on my end.

Don’t fret!

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Time to turn the AC on!
Got that right...can get a little warm out in the shop. I’ve got a 2.5-ton, vertical package a/c unit for it, just never installed it...yet. Too damn afraid to see the power bill the following month running the thing coupled with the house a/c.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I started the summit at 7:00am yesterday. Ran it between 215-235f (measured at the grate, dome thermometer read about 15 degrees higher) until 7:00pm. There was some leftover fuel when I started, and I added about 1/3 of a bag of Kingsford professional briquettes.

Opened it up to grill some corn and peppers for some pulled pork nachos (baked in the summit too, of course), and this is what was left after yesterday's cook. Pretty amazing in my book.

rps20200828_134702_744.jpg