High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What is the deal with tree service wood, Free?

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
9:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Other than that I don't specify size they can dump. If it didn't go in their chipper than it's perfect for the outdoor wood boiler.

If I had a wood boiler, or if I heated with wood, I would take anything they would dump also. Everybody's situation is different.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the past I did a lot of scrounging for wood, I'm very good at scrounging! Then as I got enough and learned what I wanted and didn't want I was able to be as picky as need be, these days if I'm not getting paid to take it it stays where it lays.
One of the best deals I had was with a guy who did lot clearing. I would get in touch and see where he was working, if it works out and he was going to be fairly close during the week I would keep in touch and figure out exactly when to be on his site. I would arrive to watch him chipping all the easiest trees, I hated to sit there and watch him feed all the 14-20" stuff into the chipper :eek:, but I liked it when he loaded all the dead standing wood on my trailer :campeon:. It was a great relationship because as @Hinerman was saying I was helping him and he was helping me.
If you have a lot of room and don't mind getting a bunch of junk mixed in then it's not as big of a deal, most who are set up that way also have a skid or a tractor to push all the junk into a pile and burn it, and they also have OWB so they can take about anything. For the guys who burn inside and have less accessible places and less room to store a bunch of junk they will need to be a bit more selective. The way I was doing it with my guy it was less he would have to take and dump when he was further away from his house, if you find someone who is working on the opposite side of town from the shop they may do whatever you ask if it helps them, if not I wouldn't mind paying a bit for some nice loads either as it would save the abuse on my equipment and the time in the middle of the day(which not everyone has).
Everybody's situation is different.
This :rolleyes:.
I always say, "what works for one doesn't work for everyone". Everyone has to figure out what will work best for them. Knowing what I know now, I should have just paid for wood the first yr I was here, but it all worked out and now I get paid to do tree work as well as to take wood that I burn for heat :D.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Big tree service here has a big dump spot on their acrage. on any given day you can drive by and there will be 4 to 10 pick up & trailers there with people running saws. they have it marked off in sections and when yu stop in they give you a section number and that is where you cut. I have no Idea what they charge either.
OH your wife wants a load of mulch for her flower gardens? you can buy that there also a couple trash bags in the back of your car a pick up load or a dump truck load. No that isn't free either.

I always figures if it burned it was better than a fuel oil bill and a poke in the eye with a sharpe stick.

:D Al

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If I have to go pick up the wood, and then pay them to help me load it I would be just as well off paying for logs.
You get loaded down with prime oak if you paying 50. You drop off the trailer or they drop off the wood. Real simple. Some guys cut the biggins to 16-18 whatever you want, no knots either, no Ys, no rot, and no ants. Simple really. No BS...you pay.
50 well spent. You can eat lunch or come back later if your picking up. If not it don't matter. Sharpen your chain. Get splitting.
Most tree service don't want wood. The ones that do only keep the prime. They give away limbs for free constantly to most people who just ask. If they have a mini skidder or bigger....makes their life easy. It has no effect on you, they load it.
I cuts trees. I take dead dry hardwoods and quality logs if possible, big long logs when they don't want them. Nobody gives up white oak even if you offer money except, tree services and builders clearing land or farmers. I have none right now but, I have locust and red oak.
Most companies who save wood have white oak logs and some straight hickorys and a few big beach logs. All the black walnut and white oak is under five foot I see already cut, shame. Might mill some of the fat ones. Tons of big *s-word on just these two company piles. One place has logs to eleven foot and mostly year or so old dead oaks to fresh green wood. 400 16ft can, dump, crane truck. Great logs to mill or firewood. That company gives me 11-16' pine, mostly white or dougfir trunks over 18", some 35" to 28" taper, delivered, for free, or go get them off the free pile, just long softwood logs to 17ft there. Some cedar....they firewood the maple junk. Few good maple logs or trees around here these days. Plenty of oak and locust. The other company has big old hardwood chunks up to six years old on the ground. Interesting wood.

I've found five places local to cut up hardwood piles of chunks for free...all you want. Tracks of forested land just waiting to fall down all over here.....standing or leaning dead red and white oak.

Last edited:

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You get loaded down with prime oak if you paying 50. You drop off the trailer or they drop off the wood. Real simple. Some guys cut the biggins to 16-18 whatever you want, no knots either, no Ys, no rot, and no ants. Simple really. No BS...you pay.
50 well spent. You can eat lunch or come back later if your picking up. If not it don't matter. Sharpen your chain. Get splitting.
Most tree service don't want wood. The ones that do only keep the prime. They give away limbs for free constantly to most people who just ask. If they have a mini skidder or bigger....makes their life easy. It has no effect on you, they load it.
I cuts trees. I take dead dry hardwoods and quality logs if possible, big long logs when they don't want them. Nobody gives up white oak even if you offer money except, tree services and builders clearing land or farmers. I have none right now but, I have locust and red oak.
Most companies who save wood have white oak logs and some straight hickorys and a few big beach logs. All the black walnut and white oak is under five foot I see already cut, shame. Might mill some of the fat ones. Tons of big *s-word on just these two company piles. One place has logs to eleven foot and mostly year or so old dead oaks to fresh green wood. 400 16ft can, dump, crane truck. Great logs to mill or firewood. That company gives me 11-16' pine, mostly white or dougfir trunks over 18", some 35" to 28" taper, delivered, for free, or go get them off the free pile, just long softwood logs to 17ft there. Some cedar....they firewood the maple junk. Few good maple logs or trees around here these days. Plenty of oak and locust. The other company has big old hardwood chunks up to six years old on the ground. Interesting wood.

I've found five places local to cut up hardwood piles of chunks for free...all you want. Tracks of forested land just waiting to fall down all over here.....standing or leaning dead red and white oak.

If they would cut and load it without beating up my trailer that would be a good deal. I'd even hang around to load it if was cut to 16,'' but I doubt anyone here would do that. If they cut it, they would probably split it and sell it theirself.

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
In the past I did a lot of scrounging for wood, I'm very good at scrounging! Then as I got enough and learned what I wanted and didn't want I was able to be as picky as need be, these days if I'm not getting paid to take it it stays where it lays.
One of the best deals I had was with a guy who did lot clearing. I would get in touch and see where he was working, if it works out and he was going to be fairly close during the week I would keep in touch and figure out exactly when to be on his site. I would arrive to watch him chipping all the easiest trees, I hated to sit there and watch him feed all the 14-20" stuff into the chipper :eek:, but I liked it when he loaded all the dead standing wood on my trailer :campeon:. It was a great relationship because as @Hinerman was saying I was helping him and he was helping me.
If you have a lot of room and don't mind getting a bunch of junk mixed in then it's not as big of a deal, most who are set up that way also have a skid or a tractor to push all the junk into a pile and burn it, and they also have OWB so they can take about anything. For the guys who burn inside and have less accessible places and less room to store a bunch of junk they will need to be a bit more selective. The way I was doing it with my guy it was less he would have to take and dump when he was further away from his house, if you find someone who is working on the opposite side of town from the shop they may do whatever you ask if it helps them, if not I wouldn't mind paying a bit for some nice loads either as it would save the abuse on my equipment and the time in the middle of the day(which not everyone has).

This :rolleyes:.
I always say, "what works for one doesn't work for everyone". Everyone has to figure out what will work best for them. Knowing what I know now, I should have just paid for wood the first yr I was here, but it all worked out and now I get paid to do tree work as well as to take wood that I burn for heat :D.

I made a deal with a guy that I know from another forum and youtube. He was clearing a lot and the stuff was going to get hauled to the land fill. He was a couple hours away and in a big city so the cost for him to dump in the landfill was insane. I was going to give him fuel money to haul me loads, but his trailer was not ready. He said someone else got the wood, but he was going to keep me in mind. It would have been a good deal for both of us. I have a customer that is in the earth moving business. I told him if he got into a clearing job, let me know. He said he does not do much clearing.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also tree service wood. IMG_3888.JPG
The stuff most people are afraid of! Had to borrow a dingo to get it cut up. Didn't have a bar big enough to cut through from one side, needed room to cut on both sides of those big ol logs.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Also tree service wood. View attachment 219136
The stuff most people are afraid of! Had to borrow a dingo to get it cut up. Didn't have a bar big enough to cut through from one side, needed room to cut on both sides of those big ol logs.
That is nice stuff Rob!
Boarders on chainsaw mill logs. Nice fat ones indeed.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I made a deal with a guy that I know from another forum and youtube. He was clearing a lot and the stuff was going to get hauled to the land fill. He was a couple hours away and in a big city so the cost for him to dump in the landfill was insane. I was going to give him fuel money to haul me loads, but his trailer was not ready. He said someone else got the wood, but he was going to keep me in mind. It would have been a good deal for both of us. I have a customer that is in the earth moving business. I told him if he got into a clearing job, let me know. He said he does not do much clearing.
You just solved your own problem. More people more companies equal more deals for more wood.

I think your going about your search all wrong, maybe. People should be calling you?....your ready. You have got a trailer and a saws.

You need an add that says something like this.

Hey...this Bullet. I can cut and load quick. Where is my firewood?
Part time independent with saws and balls. Show me the trees and I'll make them go away. Hardwoods only. Give me a shout to see when I'm available to help you clean up that mess.

PS I don't mess with brush unless you pay very well.

Three things here.
1. They know you can show up with gear, cut and remove firewood.
2. Homeowners and small companies need your services now, everywhere.
3. They are not sure if you take the wood for free or get paid to remove material. Some people on both sides of this will be willing to pay you. Homeowners will call you back if you leave them a number.

When us small guys are starting out and not selling or burning wood you are like the, the guy....the guy who takes all that wood....call him again :sisi3:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If they would cut and load it without beating up my trailer that would be a good deal. I'd even hang around to load it if was cut to 16,'' but I doubt anyone here would do that. If they cut it, they would probably split it and sell it theirself.
I see guys cutting 16"everywhere around here all the time. I bet they wood sell you the, ready to burn now, dead ones, pretty cheap in chunks if your close by to drop it off. They give it away if you pick it up.

So so much tree work around here a lot of hacks don't have a chipper so they haul everything to the dump or get half the money when they haul the tops and limbs off. Some who get money at any point may vanish and leave the wood. Some get half and fell and run. People get stuck with wood sometimes. It shows up all over on Craigslist and Marketplace on facebook.

Many people won't pay to have it hauled off. They get the landscapers to buck it and then give it away from blow downs. Someone has to cut it up. I work at all levels of completion. I do drop, chop and run correctly. Love it. Smash, cut, get some pay and walk away!

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's -46° below here this morning and 16"-18" rounds I've given away for free over the years are burning nicely right now.
Thanks to the local Facebook buy and sell I have access to on my phone... I send a pic of it sitting on the address's curb and post "free wood" .

Fun to watch responses within 5-10 seconds. :D

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, he does. Sounds very similar to my relationship with a tree service. In the past, I have dropped off a trailer in the morning, go back and pick it up after work and it is loaded with rounds cut to 16"!!!!!! I also, if the customer agrees, will go process the wood on the ground after the tree service is gone (sometimes that day or on the next weekend). The tree service chips the brush and leaves the firewood. It saves the customer money and it saves the tree service time.

Also, I have loaned them saws. They have rented my saws. I have loaned them a trailer. I have let them park their equipment at my wood lot. They have stored stuff in my shed. I have fixed a saw for them. I have "tried" to teach them how to sharpen chains...LOL

The relationship you have with your guys is as good as it can get! Takes time to cultivate something like that, and guys looking to develope something similar with a local tree company have to have a little patience. And also accept that not every tree company will warm up to such an idea at all. First reaction to any guy who may get involved at a job site will be does he have a clue about running a chain saw? Do we want him anywhere near us?

In some cases it could come down to what do you have to offer them? And the answer to that might be that most guys on this forum are decent to excellent saw techs while most tree companies have no one who can even do the basics maintenance wise. Helping them out with their saws like @Hinerman is doing adds a ton of value to them helping you with firewood. In a way you could be more valuable to them than they are to you. You'll never run out of wood again!

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What he said... ⬆️

One hand washes the other. I work on their equipment. Help fix things at the owner's house, cabin, and rental properties any time I can. Keep them happy, they will keep you happy! I'm quite happy with my tree service wood and the little corner of their lot I get to process it in.
20200203_154236.jpg 20200203_154302.jpg

Battle Cross 2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a tree company that I would go to there job sites and cut and haul away what I wanted. Thought I had it made. Got wood from 4 or 5 jobs and was happy. The last job site i cut on was an older ladies property less then 5 minutes from home. They were on site the first day I cut. When i went back to cut the next day they had told the lady i would clean up the brush as i cut up the logs. I asked to see the contract she had and explained my name wasn't on it and she needed to get them back to remove the brush. They came back and half assed cleaned the place up. A local farmer and I cleaned the rest and split the wood that was left between us.
Most of the post here seem you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. But there are shady tree companies out there that will try to take advantage of you.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh there's plenty of hacks and cons out there. A 'tree service' showed up at my buddy's neighbors house doing a little door knocking. He had a tree he wanted down. They said they would drop it for 400. Got paid in advance. They did actually drop it though... right on his wife's garden and picket fence. Needless to say, they already had their money so they were loaded up and down the road as quick as could be.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh there's plenty of hacks and cons out there. A 'tree service' showed up at my buddy's neighbors house doing a little door knocking. He had a tree he wanted down. They said they would drop it for 400. Got paid in advance. They did actually drop it though... right on his wife's garden and picket fence. Needless to say, they already had their money so they were loaded up and down the road as quick as could be.

No one should ever hire gypsies that go around knocking on doors looking for tree work. They likely don't have any for a reason. Real tree companies are usually booked out with work; they don't go knocking on doors.