Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to get a new trimmer for my wife to use this summer. I actually needed it last summer but never did. They do not like my clearing saws. I am far from a trimmer guy and well versed in the Stihl models. Is there any 2 strokes left in the lineup?

grassguerilla

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Fs55 and fs94 are both 2-strokes. 55 series is homeowner and 94 is a pro model. Fs90 has a good deal more torque than the 94 but "sounds funny" as it's a 4-mix. The fx100 is basically same as fs110 with a hollow drive shaft that isn't rated to drive attachments like the polesaw etc. The 90 will handle most attachments, but the fs110 and 130 are each a step up in power. The fs110 is the same engine used in the ht101 pole saw and the 130 is the same as the ht131 pole saw. Weight and price are so close many opt for the fs130.

The good, the 4-mix engines all start very easy. Usually one or two pulls and off they go chugging along like mini diesels. Your wife may appreciate the slight weight advantage the fx100 gives with the Hollow drive shaft if it's only duty will be trimming. The other side effect of the Hollow shaft is slightly better throttle response due to less rotating mass. Personally I didn't find it very noticeable if say the fs90 is properly tuned. Slightly better maybe. Only the power mongers among us will want more than the fs90 offers. It really is very strong. The fs130 is an absolute beast of a trimmer.

The bad, really, there isn't much bad about 4-mix engines anymore. Early models had some hiccups, those have all been addressed that I know of. Solid reliable machines now. I'm still no fan of the Stihl trimmer heads. Many opt to replace it immediately with a Speedfeed head from Echo or there are several variations like an Oregon.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you want the best Stihl 2 stroke it's the fs94r. I have the fs111rx 4-mix and it's great as well, heavier than the 94r but with more torque. If I had to choose just one it would be the fs94r. I know you didn't mention Husky but the 525ls or 525lst are top notch trimmers. Both Stihl and the Husky trimmers all have fully adjustable carbs.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have a FS90 and 130. Both are good trimmers. I came from running only Shinnys, so the 4mix was odd to me. These are used on the WMA I manage, so they get used quite a bit. Like stated above, Stihl heads suck! I replaced both of ours with echos. Overall I have been happy with them. The 90 was here when I took over and I bought the 130 to run a grass blade for heavy stuff. I tend to pickup the 90 for trimming around the house and shop. The 130 does better in heavy grass like the banks I only do three times a year.

I did purchase an Echo brush cutter and it runs great, but I can't find the carb adjustments on it! I guess EPA has them install plugs or something.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know last year I watched a you tube video where the guy said the 4 mix units were no good for up close trimming as you could not run them with a light touch. I have no idea if this is true

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Bill G the new 4-mix engines can be feathered just fine. Well, the FS111RX that I have can be feathered easily.

That is good info to know. I see a lot of guys say the Stihl heads are junk. Why is that? I do have have a speed feed on Husky taht I guess I could swap over

grassguerilla

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That is good info to know. I see a lot of guys say the Stihl heads are junk. Why is that? I do have have a speed feed on Husky taht I guess I could swap over
If you saved the bag o adaptors you can swap it, but the Stihl uses a different one then the Husky trimmer does.

The Stihl heads are rugged enough, work ok. But they are a pain to re-string. Some dealers will let you trade in the brand new head at purchase time for a speed-feed. Some won't. I'd opt for the speed-feed given the choice.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still trying to decide. I guess I need to see what a FS94 costs. I know the 250 has been a good 2 stroke horse

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i would chose either the fs 50c,56,70,94 you're wife would really like the 50c being a extended length curved shaft it was light and even the perfect size for me even though im 6'5.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You need the green adapter and black plastic spacer to make the speed feed head work on the Stihl. I got the 94R for $325.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also the homeowner models vibrate so badly that your wife may develop carpal tunnel. Don't cheap out on a trimmer. Buy commercial with great anti vibe. Buy once cry once.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also the homeowner models vibrate so badly that your wife may develop carpal tunnel. Don't cheap out on a trimmer. Buy commercial with great anti vibe. Buy once cry once.

There is no way in hell I am buying a homeowner/curved shaft trimmer. When I say I want to buy it for my wife it is because she does not like my clearing saws not if the little ones like the FS350. I have a few 20 year plus Huskys here that are all going good but honestly they take a bit of finesse to start and that is not good for her plus she likes a D handle.. The FS90 is the lowest end one I will consider. Awe heck I could get out the ole Homelite SXL trimmer unit........heavy

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought the stihl km130 a couple years ago with many attachments. It has plenty of power for everything I do. After reading this thread I will admit that the head that came on my trimmer attachment sucks to reload. Can someone help me with this speed feed head so I can get one that is better than what came with my trimmer

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the KM130 I'd use the 400 or 475 Speed Feed heads. The 475 holds just a little more line. What you have to do is buy the universal Speed Feed head and you need the green adapter and the black plastic washer in order for it to work correctly. It comes with the gold adapter from the factory that fits Echo, Shindy, and Husky trimmers.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@stihl livin @Bill G The universal Speed Feed head comes with the gold adapter. Just replace it with the green one and make sure that when you attach the arbor to the spool, the spool has the arrow pointing left facing up. If not all the line will fly off of it the first time it's bumped. Also you need the black plastic spacer washer to go on first then tighten the head down on the trimmer.20170416_175430.jpg

Joe Kidd

I reckon so
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to derail the thread, but I gave up on Stihl trimmers and went to Echo. Easy to re-string and only use 2-stroke engines, plus a 5yr warranty to boot.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to derail the thread, but I gave up on Stihl trimmers and went to Echo. Easy to re-string and only use 2-stroke engines, plus a 5yr warranty to boot.

You are not derailing the thread. It is all about information What model did you buy?

ny15

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Echo is a great trimmer, I've had mine for 3 years no issues.