High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Compression Tester Hitting Top of Piston? Old Echo GTR-200R Curved Shaft Trimmer

cao-2000

OPE Member
Local time
1:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am diagnosing an old Echo GTR-200R Curved Shaft Trimmer for my neighbor.

I grabbed my compression tester, and I'll be darned if it doesn't seem to be hitting the top of the cylinder when it is screwed in all the way. So I grabbed a different compression tester, and same thing.

Is there a different (shorter) threaded piece I need for these smaller 2-stroke engines? Or maybe a different compression tester kit that might have it?

See photos for my current compression testers. One is an older generic, and the other is a new Lisle.

Thanks,

Chris

IMG_5605.jpeg

IMG_5604.jpeg

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
4:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ditch the adapters and just use the threads on the end of the hose.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If those adapters do not have valve at it’s end, you will get low reading.

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
match the tester fitting to the spark plug, see how much of a distance difference there is.

you can back off the tester with whatever adapter fitting that's hitting the piston, a 1/2 turn or whatever until it doesn't hit the piston - open the tester valve so there's no compression to facilitate spinning the motor. Then wrap a little teflon tape on the tester fitting threads and don't screw all the way in only to the distance that seems appropriate, it'll seal well enough to get a good enough compression reading, just don't get the tape into the cylinder.