What do you have to burn?

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
3:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What type of wood do you have the most of in your neck of the woods that's the most available for you to cut and burn?

Last edited:

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me Iam spoiled alot of Dead Oak red mostly with a little white here and there.

Last edited:

the GOAT

87, k2 40:1
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Mostly white pine. I have acres of black oak, maple and ash to cut but I have an arborist drop off whatever he doesn't want.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
EAB hasn't made it here yet.
Your lucky, for now. They are coming.
I've noticed that most of the affected trees around me are what I would call juvenile trees. 4"-18" stems. The younger trees haven't been affected as badly and the older mature trees(18"+) seem to still be somewhat ok. I don't know why this is but it is something that I've noticed. Maybe the older trees have tougher/thicker bark and the younger trees just haven't matured enough to be quite right for the EAB, IDK. Again this is just what I've noticed

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is not many ash where Iam at.Recently found a ton of Beech about 20min to the east of me.The cuttin I doi s on Federal land with a permit we are aloud 3 permits a year 20 cord per permit.In Michigan we can cut standing dead or down on federal land but on state land different set of rules no standing dead has to be on the ground.

d.l.d

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Red and white oak is what i burn and its plentiful here in my neck of the woods in Arkansas.

HuskyHill

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Got a good mix of hardwood to pull from here in PA. Red and white oak, beech, hard maple, lots of black cherry. Run into some shagbark hickory now and then but oh so hard on chains. Gotta keep some of the beech and hickory around to supply buddies for smoking our speed beef!

Gravitas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just about anything you could want is available in my area. Mostly take red, white and chestnut oak, hickory, cherry and locust. Burning the last of some short cut white oak for the next couple weeks, then it is onto some proper length locust and cherry for the remainder of the serious heating season.

If you didn't want to cut it down yourself, they give away all the poplar, maple and more than you could burn in northern VA/DC with all the tree service work that goes on. Just have to drive up to that *s-wordhole to pick it up.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
2:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
any wood i get my hands on even pallets.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Red and White oak, walnut, cherry and beech. Mostly the red and white oak though. Also some sparse chestnut oak.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lot of maple, oak,mostly red, and ash. Also seem to have a lot of black cherry past few years, and some good size hardhack. We were always told hardback was the hottest burning wood you could get, but it usually dies before getting very big, so lots of sawing per cord.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yikes. That looks like it smarts. My Great uncle, a horse farmer, lost half a finger in a baler. Another uncle used to joke that was just a story, and that he had really just worn it down over the years helping the girls up in the saddle, lol.

Last edited: