What did you cut with...

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
10:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve always run pro saws. I’m not “old,” so I started with a Stihl 041, Farm Boss, that my dad used. Dad and his dad also ran an 048, 038 Mag II and their first and only Husqvarna they owned was a 55 until I built my dad a 346, OE. We were… You know, farmer/landowner types. But whacking hedge apple patch firewooding wasn’t a lot of fun, and I was kinda, okay, very bookish at the time, so I never really got into it. Chainsaws were just a tool, no more, no less.

When I got my first “job” on another, much larger horse farm, I was older, and running 044s and the early 440s with 20” bars were lightning fast through what we were cutting. The 044 was a much nicer saw to run than anything my family had, too. A half wrap with a short bar makes for a very nimble setup. The wood also didn’t have nasty spikes poking you, didn’t smell bad, and I was getting paid. I liked running a chainsaw, and I knew it.

Not too much later, I got into the fire service. Working in the urban/wildland interface I got my red card, a pair of White’s boots, and a used Stihl 046 with a 3/4 wrap handle, a 32” bar and several loops of skip sequence chain. I learned to cut some big wood. It was a similar time I was introduced to the Husqvarna 372XP (OE) and the 395. At that point I was a convert. I dunno if there’s ever been a better all-around saw for general falling and bucking “normal” size trees than the original design 372XP. They were very smooth for their day, very quick to accelerate, light, and easy to live with. The 395s had just gobs of power and it never seemed to run out as your bars got longer. I was hooked. So at this point I own the most chainsaws I would ever own, 5. I was big into square ground chains, and lightweight bars had recently made their debut so I was trying them out. I was really big into the saw game, Brad Snelling was the king of another site and the threads there were super interesting… It was a good time to be hooked.

Since then I’ve not spent as much time in the woods and only own two saws, and have been that way for most of the last five years or so. I ran the 046 up until last year, and it found a better home. I sent my 461 down the line, as much as it pains me. I now have a Mastermind 441in west coast trim that runs a 32” bar, and a standard model 441 that I usually set up with a 25” bar. Dad likes to run the standard one, he never understood the long bar thing, and the only saw he ran regularly with a 3/4 wrap was a 460
rescue saw from where he and I were and currently are both volunteers on a ladder company, and he’ll tell you it feels “off” to him.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My first was a small Rancher from Husqvarna. Seems like it was a 40 or something like that. About 1980. Replaced it with another similar. 44 or something. Never knew about pro saws then. No such thing the Net.

nixon

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Being as I was in the USAF ,and subject to moving fairly frequently ,If I was in a place where I needed a saw , I would always buy something cheap from Sears . The reason being , was that when you moved , it was shipped to your next base , or put into storage . Either way , there was a decent chance it would show up broked ,or not at all . So, I didn’t buy a really nice saw ( 044 ) until I moved here in 99 and built a house . Then came a 346xp ,372xp ,390xp . I had the 390 ported . That’s where I think things got out of hand . . .

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I started with 2 bit ax as splitter boy and carrier, the Elders handled the saws.
Homies and Macs untill I took a job in log house restoration then it was Jred and huskys. My first new one was a 51. Still have it and several like it.

The saws never had gender, weight, or feelings complex until the web lol.
If you have seen hand hewn log houses from long ago, in Pa, WV, Oh, or NY.
My sweat might be in there.

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That comes out to a saw about every week and a half. That's an impressive pace! I was hoping someone would post a crazy number so mine looks a little less crazy.
I think the actual number is about 235ish when I add up all the stuff that's in pieces. We won't talk about the NOS Jonsereds, Partner and Pioneer parts I picked up in the last truckload 🤣

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@

That comes out to a saw about every week and a half. That's an impressive pace! I was hoping someone would post a crazy number so mine looks a little less crazy. I'm at about 150 saws. Have unloaded a few, but have so far built another 4 or 5 in my now abundant spare time.

A friend of mine has over 1000 saws in his shop. He's not on any saw forums either. He used to be a jonsered dealer, then dolmar, he also bought out several stihl dealers inventory, when they went out of business.

Now he's retired and no longer sells saws to the public, he's a packrat, never got rid of anything, he has piles of dolamrs, jonsered, stihl's, mac's, old poulans and some huskys also. Last time I was at his place, I talked him outta of about 30 saws, You could hardly tell I even hauled anything out. He's told me a few times I should come back, and load up again. When I was there I bought every 044, 046, 440, and 460 I could find. A few weeks later he texted me pictures of more 1128's he found in his shop.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A friend of mine has over 1000 saws in his shop. He's not on any saw forums either. He used to be a jonsered dealer, then dolmar, he also bought out several stihl dealers inventory, when they went out of business.

Now he's retired and no longer sells saws to the public, he's a packrat, never got rid of anything, he has piles of dolamrs, jonsered, stihl's, mac's, old poulans and some huskys also. Last time I was at his place, I talked him outta of about 30 saws, You could hardly tell I even hauled anything out. He's told me a few times I should come back, and load up again. When I was there I bought every 044, 046, 440, and 460 I could find. A few weeks later he texted me pictures of more 1128's he found in his shop.
Any makitas?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I walked around most of my childhood with a 20” coleman machete and a Vietnam era K-bar. I’ve been obsessed with blades since I could walk. I carved a small dug-out canoe when I was 10 with the hatchet we used to split kindling. First chainsaw was Dad’s Homelite Zip, then I moved to California and harvested firewood with an Echo 3600. Moved to Utah and ran a small fleet of 455 ranchers at Utah State. Only saw I used for ten years after that was a snow saw to cut avalanche test pits. Finally moved to CO and started doing tree work. 201t, 346, 372, 395 got me hooked bad. I wanted my own saw so I bought an 026 off of craigslist. The guy told me it was piece of junk and I was a fool for buying it. I bought it anyway and that guy turned out to be a good friend. He still gives me grief about that saw. I liked the 026 and got an 066 red light to mill with. I killed and rebuilt a 346oe from work about the same time. I ported it 6 years ago based on Brad Snellings recipe from AS. Been obsessing over saws ever since. Probably have 30 or 40 now. Not to mention axes, cross cuts, chisels, pocket knives etc…I even collect scissors.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@maulhead Any Partners? Pioneers?

Not sure I would have to ask, or go look. I know there's saws there I don't even know about.

I walked around most of my childhood with a 20” coleman machete and a Vietnam era K-bar. I’ve been obsessed with blades since I could walk. I carved a small dug-out canoe when I was 10 with the hatchet we used to split kindling. First chainsaw was Dad’s Homelite Zip, then I moved to California and harvested firewood with an Echo 3600. Moved to Utah and ran a small fleet of 455 ranchers at Utah State. Only saw I used for ten years after that was a snow saw to cut avalanche test pits. Finally moved to CO and started doing tree work. 201t, 346, 372, 395 got me hooked bad. I wanted my own saw so I bought an 026 off of craigslist. The guy told me it was piece of junk and I was a fool for buying it. I bought it anyway and that guy turned out to be a good friend. He still gives me grief about that saw. I liked the 026 and got an 066 red light to mill with. I killed and rebuilt a 346oe from work about the same time. I ported it 6 years ago based on Brad Snellings recipe from AS. Been obsessing over saws ever since. Probably have 30 or 40 now. Not to mention axes, cross cuts, chisels, pocket knives etc…I even collect scissors.

The guy you got the 026 from named Bill?

Sierra_rider

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not that old, so my list of "cool" saws is rather short and modern. I grew up in the mountains(still live nearby) and grew up helping my dad and grandfather cut firewood and clear their properties. I just had some cheap plastic clamshell Huskies, but enjoyed cutting.

Fast forward a couple years, I got a fire job and got hooked on saws. When out and bought myself my first new "real" saw, a 372xpw. That was quickly followed by a new Stihl 192t...my old man gave me his old climbing gear(I still climb with his big old 3.5" Buckingham gaffs that he climbed redwoods with,) and I was off and climbing. I also picked up a used 3/4 wrap 066 and a new 550xp around the same time.

I ran that 4-saw plan for a few years, both climbing and falling trees for some friends' businesses on the side. I finally wore the 192t out and I decided I needed a pro grade climbing saw. I ended up with a new 201tcm. I eventually ended up with a few more new saws, a 500i, ms400, and an Echo 2511t. Also a couple chi-com saws(543xp clone and an 880 kit.) Some more used saws entered the picture(most were free and needed work,) I got a couple of 044s and 365 special.

The 044s were my "testbeds" for learning about saw porting/machining, which has become another hobby of mine. I ended up acquiring both lathes and mills...partly for working on saws, but also because they are incredibly handy tools to have. Besides doing saws, I've started dabbling in tuning other 2 stroke motors. If money was no object, I'd have full-fledged CAD. As it stands right now, I count 12 running saws, I've got a couple of old Homies, but they're just wallhangers ATM.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't remember exactly, 80cc McCulloch front tank saw, may have been a 200? Manual oiler only, 19" hard nose bar, stack "muffler", it kept us warm for a number of years before corrosion destroyed the fuel and oil tanks. Once I started "collecting" I had to have one like it, this is a 1-45 that I used a few time just for the sake of nostalgia...from there I moved up to a Jonsereds 621, gave up more than a few cc's and gained incredible cutting speed and ease of operation. I ran that 621 for over 25 years until the PTO side bearing failed, which ultimately led me to the internet, and the rest, they say, is history...

1-46 Action.JPG

Jonsered 621 1 (3).jpg

20210605_182938.jpg

Mark

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes he has blue makitas.
Sweet. I would love to get my hands on a few models that are blue. Small to big.

DCS3410 top handle.
DCS4300i.
DCS5200i.
DCS6401.
DCS7301.
DCS9000 or DCS9010.

Right now with the way things are going I veiw this as a dream. I don't need em, just want em.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Started out bucking and limbing on the landings at around 10 running 357’s when they were brand new running 28’s. After that spent time breaking in falling timber with 372’s and 385’s for quite a few years burnt a few of those old girls down. Got into my 20’s falling timber daily running the 390’s and 395’s everyday the anti vibe and filters were better than the Stihl’s at the time especially in the second growth doug fir fines. 20130604_171843051_iOS.jpegWP_000095.jpeg
Early 20’s kind of you gives you an idea of what I was working in all the time and how I broke out.

FloodWW

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had a Stihl 011AV for 30 years, never knew how to take care of it, left gas in it all year and used it once a year to cut down a Christmas tree and never understood why it had so much trouble running. Also used it once to cut roots and had no clue why after the first root it would just smoke and bounce off the next root. Used 044 Magnums for the good part of my career firefighting to cut holes in roofs to ventilate fires using carbide chains. I had a good understanding of that use but no clue about cutting trees. I retired and a friend asked me to help clear some burnt trees from a parcel. I bought a 500i and started to educate myself. That led to a falling class in Oregon and now 5 saws later plus a collector Mac 15, my midlife crisis is in full swing. I cut 1-2 days a week clearing trails and occasionally fall hazard trees. Kinda like drinking from a fire hydrant, the knowledge I am picking up and super glad I found this forum thanks to @Normzilla

Lawton 02 after.jpg