High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Trees you've cut

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
After u cut all the trees on one strip, do you plant new trees there?
For sure! I am a contract timber faller, so all I do is fall timber. However, another forestry contractor who specializes in planting, spraying, etc. comes in and plants it.
We want to grow trees here. It is a law to replant, and it should be. I can go back to units I cut 7 years ago and see a beautiful stand of reprod.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
2:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For sure! I am a contract timber faller, so all I do is fall timber. However, another forestry contractor who specializes in planting, spraying, etc. comes in and plants it.
We want to grow trees here. It is a law to replant, and it should be. I can go back to units I cut 7 years ago and see a beautiful stand of reprod.
It should always be required to replant or leave seed trees, in my opinion. Continued cultivation is the key to sustaining product.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting that the replanting is mentioned.
I am in the process of clearcutting 1.5 acres for a homeowner. Based on a forestry management plan from the town that he lives in. Everything was marked off and everything gets cut. ‍♂️
Nothing gets replanted, except by nature. Homeowner says arborist told him it was last clearcut 80 years ago.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting that the replanting is mentioned.
I am in the process of clearcutting 1.5 acres for a homeowner. Based on a forestry management plan from the town that he lives in. Everything was marked off and everything gets cut. ‍[emoji3603]
If it's hardwood, there's no need to replant. Better to start with a good management plan. If it od'd crap soil on west facing slope, dosent matter if you plant quality trees, there's not a sustainable enough soil to keep them alive. Some places just will always have crap timber.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is all hard wood. Not a single pine tree or variant. Mostly red oak, beech, black cherry, maple, etc...

It's on a West embankment.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wish I could cut trees, my wife is an RN and her unit receives all the patients that test positive for covid 19. Out of respect for my employer (we're not a big company, family owned) I'm not going to subject him to being around it. Work is 50 miles from home and its "not" in that county "yet".

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have seen a awful lot of Chestnut Oak growing on rocky, worthless steep slopes … they seem to like it and I think they are quality trees.

I'm still kicking myself for not milling the large one I dropped several years back, but I just wasn't doing it then!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry Colton. I am not liking that post.
Much gratitude and thanks to your wife and her profession.

I haven't even looked at the growth rings. I have been too busy cutting. I will grab some pics. These are a few I took. I was just interested in how my chain was working.
Trees seem to be about 24" diameter for the largest trees, with most about 18-20" diameter range.
efc6286d2c0b5da6404c973330a382a3.jpg
1b6c431c9ff5e22b6e53e58ee2f2956b.jpg
531ecd57b7f2aea185844c60c557c2a4.jpg
e8be15d2947415a8db89471f48c0d104.jpg
9fe28f94ec392137f3e65357b22e6188.jpg

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have seen a awful lot of Chestnut Oak growing on rocky, worthless steep slopes … they seem to like it and I think they are quality trees.

I'm still kicking myself for not milling the large one I dropped several years back, but I just wasn't doing it then!
Quality with what you think is good, often differs from what a saw mill thinks is good. They want consistency. Poor ground dosent produce straight consistent trees. The poor soil trees are often perfect for a homeowner hobbyist. If it's is got bad shake or more than one ring of shake you might as take a 12 foot stick off ifnits not to big for pulp, or let it in the woods. General rule of thumb is it has to be at least 60 percent perfect. Not to much rot not to much shake. Knots dont do much but knock it into a lower grade, but it's at least marketable. Then you get into the predicament of weighing out weather you should sort it out for low grade or just lump it in the pulp wood pile. That is sorta relative to where the job in location to your wood outlets......rambling...I miss work.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like mtn oak. Not that bad of quality, but not like wood that came from a hollow etc....that's exactly the kind of wood that your cutting that can break a guy. Gotta know your markets and where to sell to to utilize the product the best. In a logging situation that is.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The rings look pretty uniform and consistent now that I look at them.
But I'm just firewooding all of this. There are a few oaks that I want to try and mill. Learn on them. Maybe get lucky and get a few decent pieces to use.
I'm really just a hacker. Lol

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The rings look pretty uniform and consistent now that I look at them.
But I'm just firewooding all of this. There are a few oaks that I want to try and mill. Learn on them. Maybe get lucky and get a few decent pieces to use.
I'm really just a hacker. Lol
Hahaha yep. Logs log that if I had to market them I would probably take the butt log to a grade mill ,second cut if it was big enough and sound enough to a low grade mill and then the rest to scrag or pulp. Small diameter like 14 inches on the small end and smaller just aren't worth much in todays markets especially if they aren't slick and clean.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. I hear you. Is this normal sized stuff for 80 years old? I would have thought they would have been larger diameter for 80 year old growth. Most every tree is the same size. They are all just about equal. No big standouts.
I am going to try and mill the 24" sized oaks. All the rest will go to warming up homes. Lol