LOL. Cool. I was just giving you a hard time. [emoji16]

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This ash gave me nothing but headaches, it got hung up and I tried the double wedge cutting 2’ off the bottom where it was stuck in the frozen ground. Which didn’t work so then I attached the pulley higher which moved it back another twelve feet where is still sits tonight

I've not 'rolled' trees that big out of the canopy, but maybe a cant with some leverage could roll it out. If you could, it would probably be the safest way to drop it.

gyp69

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I used to run 385 then 390’s built by an old guy up in Bellingham Wa. But I went back to Stihl 660 before they did away with them. I love the 461’s. I sure like your saws & lw bars! I guess to answer your question Stihl 461r is about my favorite all time saw. But back when I was cutting for production I liked a well modded 390. I liked the power,the oiling capacity, and the true full wrap, but they were not as tough as the Stihl 660, dawgs required loctite and still came loose,and you had to be careful getting saw unstuck with those av springs. the Stihl 660 was built like a tank! Tough.

Last edited:

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About screws working loose. If Loctite can't hold the screws, then get some 3M Weather Strip Adhesive. We used to call it 'Gorilla Snot' when I raced in the desert. It is yellow and sticky.

After you clean up the bolts and holes and put it together with the loctite, then take some of the Gorilla Snot and put it on the bolt and the surrounding case. Essentially, you are attaching the bolt head to the case with the Gorilla Snot. Don't worry, you can always break it loose with a wrench, that's why we used it.

It works better than loctite, star washers, split washers COMBINED! The only thing that can beat it is to drill the bolt heads and wire them in place.

Try it once and you will be a believer.

gyp69

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Great info. Thanks, that’s what I like about this forum. People have solutions to problems and share them freely. I have sold most of my saws down to one 461r. I had a 462r for a while well only ran a little over a gallon mix through it I loved the mtronic my first computer saw, I’m curious on the husqvarna 572 did they redesign the way there dawgs mount or is it that same *s-wordty design especially on clutch cover that little bitty screw between bar nuts? That 20% off deal being offered by husky makes me want to try a 572 I already bought the wrap lol. If it is the same design I will try above mentioned gorilla snot.I have been a Stihl guy for yrs,I feel dirty even talking about buying a 572.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
10:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great info. Thanks, that’s what I like about this forum. People have solutions to problems and share them freely. I have sold most of my saws down to one 461r. I had a 462r for a while well only ran a little over a gallon mix through it I loved the mtronic my first computer saw, I’m curious on the husqvarna 572 did they redesign the way there dawgs mount or is it that same *s-wordty design especially on clutch cover that little bitty screw between bar nuts? That 20% off deal being offered by husky makes me want to try a 572 I already bought the wrap lol. If it is the same design I will try above mentioned gorilla snot.I have been a Stihl guy for yrs,I feel dirty even talking about buying a 572.
The 572 comes with a clutch cover with captive bar nuts. Yes, unfortunately to have a pair of large dogs on the saw it is required to swap the cover, losing the captured bar nuts and utilizing the silly little screw design that I also do not like. Fortunately the kit for the dogs, cover, and wrap handle cost around 30 dollars? Not shabby.

I get to use a 462 at work alot, its about as dandy a saw as anyone could want in the 70cc class...however, I personally feel like with the additional weight of the 572 you gain some...strength over the 462. Both are wonderful, but I feel like the 572 is a loggers saw and the 462 is an excellent tree service saw. Sure some will use them for whatever, but that's just this morons opinion. Your milage may vary! By the way...that 572 is probably the smoothest running saw I've ever used.

Last edited: