Trees you've cut

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. Some tight rings on that stick makes for strong tough wood.

dirter

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We’ve been doing a TSI thinning project on acreage that we did a select cut sale on back in ‘95. This chestnut oak responded dramatically to the additional sky to bask in. The same pattern is in most of the beech and red maples we’re cutting too. F8A7AB92-2CE5-4CB6-ABD8-24488B287EA7.jpeg

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We’ve been doing a TSI thinning project on acreage that we did a select cut sale on back in ‘95. This chestnut oak responded dramatically to the additional sky to bask in. The same pattern is in most of the beech and red maples we’re cutting too. View attachment 292287
Hows the epicormic sprouts on the trees you saved in 95?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that a vertical plunge cut I’m seeing in the face of your notch? If so can you explain its purpose? My knowledge of felling is fairly limited. Thanks!
I do it to reduce chance of barberchair (ash is bad for that) on a leaner and reduce fiber pull on sawlogs. It helps let the top roll off another tree during the fall if that is the desired effect as well. I don’t do it on every tree though. I would try to avoid doing it on a tree that had side lean for example. I’m sure there’s lots of other techniques out there, it’s just what I do and what works for me.

Last edited:

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We’ve been doing a TSI thinning project on acreage that we did a select cut sale on back in ‘95. This chestnut oak responded dramatically to the additional sky to bask in. The same pattern is in most of the beech and red maples we’re cutting too. View attachment 292287
Does such a drastic change in growth rate affect price?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This one is alive for example. D0993E2F-C5BF-46F0-A7D7-7FC519C979BD.jpeg Redfin’s is dead. Has that brown staining already. Usually cuts softer and has a distinctive musty non-fresh smell. It can be tough to tell sometimes.

Last edited:

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got this tornado damaged tree down. Much of the top was blown out and there was a split all the way down to the stump. We wrapped it with a rope/strap and had to pull/wedge it against a lean towards the house. By the time it hit the ground the tree was separated into two main trunks. (it was a bifurcated tree) This beast measured a circumference of 15' 2" at the cut level and was significantly larger diameter at breast height. That's a Stihl MS660 with a 36" bar on the stump.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The landowner was out there after it fell and noticed sap streaming out of the tree and making a puddle on the ground. I said it's bleeding. That's the trees life blood (the sap). I didn't realize she was already crying and it wasn't the right thing to say. She loved this tree and had been admiring it for years before they even purchased the property some years ago. It was a sad day for her. (plus the emotional trauma of all the rest of considerable damage to their property.) Got my boot pried out of my mouth and continued cutting. Used the MS660 with the 36", an 046 with a 32" and an MS460 with a 24". Groundi cut up some of the smaller pieces with her MS180 and then started moving wood.

dirter

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hows the epicormic sprouts on the trees you saved in 95?
Not too good. Of course the red maples went hog wild. Some got to be like little jail cells with bars 8” in diameter. Many were big enough to stand inside but they all took up a lot of sky. The white oaks that have survived are still in the 2 to 4 inch range and most aren’t straight. Chestnut oaks have done the best with some near a foot in diameter because most self thinned to 2 or 3 stems. The poplars grew the most but are curved and hollow at the stump. Nearby saplings have done much better in all species. Though it would have been a lot of work, we would be much further along had we just killed off the stumps and let the small trees have their day in the sun. We will be doing that this time around.

I guess I should point out that all the above applies to stump sprouts. The true suckers never really became a problem. Some of the white oaks bushed out a bit but have since smoothed up.