drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
4:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, more to this build, they say the devil is in the details... To add to the story of this build, he acquired this saw from a guy who owed him some money, I believe for wood.. (I could be wrong)... so, the guy didn't have all of the money and he offered him this saw to settle the debt. Said it ran until it didnt... assuming the coil went... he took the saw for the remaining debt and it sat for 2yrs. This where i come into the picture with the 461, 462 etc... like mentioned, he asked if I could check it out and pep it up. After I notified him of the grim outlook I asked him if he would like me to toss it into a box and drop off one day after work... he said "nah, keep it for parts"... now, this guy is a straight shooter, I could tell he was upset about the situation... this guy would do just about anything for the people he let's into his circle... I've done business with him, mainly purchasing Cows/Angus etc... I can vouch that he's a stand-up guy... idk about you guys, but the older i get, the more i pay attention to how people are and it bothers me to see people upset... people have forgotten how to repsect and treat others.. people have become callus to others, that's not good. One night I was sitting at the bench and I'm looking at the pile of stihl saws... 460s, 440, 400, 009L, 020av, 500i, 462... I obviously didn't need the parts/junk saws... so I used what I had to build him a running saw... he offered to pay and I declined. I told him one hand washes the other... seems like that principle/ideology only resides in select groups of people who hold value to.... and it's those people that we as humans should back 100%.

Damn, soapbox moment... 🤣🤣😬😬
Do you have a belt sander?

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you took 40 thou out of the band, I am unsure why you’d need a popup piston. You’re probably around 200 psi with a flat top.
Does it need a flat top? No... you have to keep in mind that this saw was built using junked logging saws... the only items new on this saw are the gaskets, bearings and seals... lol with warn rings and a cylinder that was honed... the pop-up was to compensate for low compression due to the used parts.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
3:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it need a flat top? No... you have to keep in mind that this saw was built using junked logging saws... the only items new on this saw are the gaskets, bearings and seals... lol with warn rings and a cylinder that was honed... the pop-up was to compensate for low compression due to the used parts.
In my opinion (take it for what it’s worth) you would be better off with a flat top piston and new rings. Better investment IMO. Better flame propagation across the chamber and a better cylinder seal..

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my opinion (take it for what it’s worth) you would be better off with a flat top piston and new rings. Better investment IMO. Better flame propagation across the chamber and a better cylinder seal..
I completely agree.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm doing a pretty ruff 460 build myself, rusty ,corrosion, missing parts. It must have been smashed and spit the decomp into the cylinder, I think the piston was already toast from detonation?
I totally agree with treating people better, I recently traded a very strong ProMac 10-10A to a coworker for chicken and duck eggs, he's trying out homesteading and could use a good saw and I like eggs!

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's funny I came across this thread today because I literally just bought a FB Marketplace ms440 last evening on the cheap (175 clams), guy said he got it on a trade and tried to start it and it popped with gas dumped in the carb. He said he had too many projects and wasn't interested in the saw.....

I took it home and as it usually goes I couldn't keep my dickbeaters off of it, tore straight into it, had a heck of a time getting the clutch and worm drive off of it, and discover this......zoom in on those pics at that crankshaft......

20230321_215806.jpg

20230321_215814.jpg

Yes, those are spot welds directly on the crankshaft, right where the bearing spacer should be.....lmao.....all the way around.

No bearing spacer (hence absolute no sealing surface for crankcase vacuum, which is why the saw wouldn't run). Who TF does sh*t like this???

From what I can gather, the prior "mechanic" lost the bearing spacer and figured a few spot welds to jam the clutch in the approximate location it needed to be would do the trick.....the plastic worm was TRASHED!!

I've gotten the crankshaft cleaned up, seals and spacer ordered and on the way, along with a carb kit......definitely one of the crazier hack jobs I've seen in a while!!

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's funny I came across this thread today because I literally just bought a FB Marketplace ms440 last evening on the cheap (175 clams), guy said he got it on a trade and tried to start it and it popped with gas dumped in the carb. He said he had too many projects and wasn't interested in the saw.....

I took it home and as it usually goes I couldn't keep my dickbeaters off of it, tore straight into it, had a heck of a time getting the clutch and worm drive off of it, and discover this......zoom in on those pics at that crankshaft......

View attachment 370384

View attachment 370385

Yes, those are spot welds directly on the crankshaft, right where the bearing spacer should be.....lmao.....all the way around.

No bearing spacer (hence absolute no sealing surface for crankcase vacuum, which is why the saw wouldn't run). Who TF does sh*t like this???

From what I can gather, the prior "mechanic" lost the bearing spacer and figured a few spot welds to jam the clutch in the approximate location it needed to be would do the trick.....the plastic worm was TRASHED!!

I've gotten the crankshaft cleaned up, seals and spacer ordered and on the way, along with a carb kit......definitely one of the crazier hack jobs I've seen in a while!!
I have a couple 440 cranks... if you want one, it's yours.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After looking at the shaft, It looks to have a fracture... so this one is junk.. the other crank is for my next build... I do have a China 440 crank... surprisingly the crank material is hard, very compatible to oem hardness. But, I won't run it and I'm sure 99.9% of others on this forum won't either.
If you want the cranks I'll send them your way if not, trash bound they go.

Attachments

• 20230322_145505.jpg
    20230322_145505.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230322_145512.jpg
    20230322_145512.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230322_145524.jpg
    20230322_145524.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 21

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
*s-word maybe it's just a scratch... as the lines cross over the e-clip groove and they don't go into the groove... if it were a fracture it would carry through that valley.

Again, if you want it... it's free dollas

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
3:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is the worst Stihl 046 Mag that I ever worked on:
1679525941563.png
It had no compression at all in addition to the dirty face. I rebuilt the top end , added the outside bumper spike, fixed the pull cord, and cleaned it up:
1679526010137.jpeg
It's running fine today. I should never have allowed someone else to use it. He never gave it back to me.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is the worst Stihl 046 Mag that I ever worked on:
View attachment 370465
It had no compression at all in addition to the dirty face. I rebuilt the top end , added the outside bumper spike, fixed the pull cord, and cleaned it up:
View attachment 370466
It's running fine today. I should never have allowed someone else to use it. He never gave it back to me.
I don't understand... "He never gave it back.to me."... lol