High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

The Wood ID Thread ( or name this wood type )

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
4:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I realized I confused those pieces with a different type of wood with similar bark. View attachment 381099
It has a darker brown sapwood, it splits hard, and it pulls apart these long chunky fibers when it does split. If I can find a piece with bark I’ll post it.
This looks like red elm. Does it stink?

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not maple. Bark is all wrong
That’s what I thought initially, now I’m leaning towards them being two different types of tree while my other post is a 3rd. My tree guy is great but I’m always getting random trees I never seen before.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is from my tree guy, somewhere from North Jersey. I’m guessing it’s Elm but I’m not too familiar with it. Other pieces of this tree get a weird punkiness and split super easily after it’s been wet and dry too many times or maybe just too dead. This piece was bucked recently but felled at least a year ago. Any ideas?View attachment 381046
Looks like elm to me. The only thing off imo is the ease of splitting; maybe you got lucky and got an elusive easy splitting elm...

FYI, There are a lot of trees in your area that I am unfamiliar with...

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the mystery wood I’m pretty sure it’s red elm. That’s been hard to split even though it’s super dry. The wood in the 3rd picture was the my initial mystery and I’m going with red elm.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The two pieces I posted in post 1098 were different from the red elm. I think the second one might be a silver maple hybrid and the first another maple hybrid. They split easily, compared to the red elm, and had an earthy maple smell.

My tree guy does land clearing jobs so I wonder if he gets a lot of 60 year nursery trees. You could probably buy a palm tree from the back of a comic book in the 70s so who knows.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I realized I confused those pieces with a different type of wood with similar bark. View attachment 381099
It has a darker brown sapwood, it splits hard, and it pulls apart these long chunky fibers when it does split. If I can find a piece with bark I’ll post it.
That pic looks like Red Elm.

skippy

Husqvarnas Sawyer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Easy Peasy. And it doesn’t get punky like other wood, it gets super light but stays hard. I’ll try to find some different pieces of it, because it’s got me stumped.
So its not gum . It could be 1 of the 1000 different maples or elm but not positive.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks kinda like poplar.
Guy swears it's white ash.

Any ideas?...my eyes are not what they use to be...:rolleyes:
1694664720628.png

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
10:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Them leaves don’t look like ash leaves to me

The pic isn’t the best for zooming in thou

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe green/red ash instead of white. White is normally a little bit tighter pattern but I’m also looking it through a beat up phone

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pokies? I've got something that my parents planted. Looks like something of a Russian Olive family. Little fruits and all.
It will readily grow from cuttings tossed in the mulch pile.
Sprouts skinny (about half inch thick at base, 12~15 ft long) shoots, all dang summer, and has singular thorns (1.2"~1.5" ish) that can puncture a car tire once they're dry and hard.
Not at home or I'd post a photo.