High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

The things you've found in trees, logs and firewood.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't know they did that. I've always wondered about steel core bullets. Now I want some.

It's just a soft steel core. There are some with some tool steel or tungsten that's AP but that's getting pretty expensive. Lots of different stuff out there.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe I have some tungsten core .277 Barnes bullets that have since been discontinued. I bought several boxes of them when they were discontinued. They are shorter than the all copper bullets of the same weight and will stabilize better.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's just a soft steel core.

It may be mild steel, but it still penetrated our helicopters very well in 'Nam. I remember seeing my first one and the core was bent and damaged. I thought that the NVA didn't know how to make a proper AP projectile.

It was only later on, after I studied the cartridge, that I understood the genius of the round. It was INEXPENSIVE, even the case used mild steel. The BC was very high and the inexpensive steel core was positioned in the back of the round to give it more stability. The front of the core was flat, that left a cavity at the front of the projectile. That cavity would tend to collapse when it hit, which turned the round into a 'dum-dum'. Not only was it hard hitting for it's velocity, but the steel core could keep on penetrating. - Rather than being a piece of junk, the Russians had put some thought into it.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It may be mild steel, but it still penetrated our helicopters very well in 'Nam. I remember seeing my first one and the core was bent and damaged. I thought that the NVA didn't know how to make a proper AP projectile.

It was only later on, after I studied the cartridge, that I understood the genius of the round. It was INEXPENSIVE, even the case used mild steel. The BC was very high and the inexpensive steel core was positioned in the back of the round to give it more stability. The front of the core was flat, that left a cavity at the front of the projectile. That cavity would tend to collapse when it hit, which turned the round into a 'dum-dum'. Not only was it hard hitting for it's velocity, but the steel core could keep on penetrating. - Rather than being a piece of junk, the Russians had put some thought into it.
Good point.

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe I have some tungsten core .277 Barnes bullets that have since been discontinued. I bought several boxes of them when they were discontinued. They are shorter than the all copper bullets of the same weight and will stabilize better.

will stabilize in a slower twist barrel, but greatly dropping your ballistic coefficient in doing so. Luckily most manufacturers are hopping on the band wagon these days and putting faster twist barrels on their rifles...unless you’re a tikka or sako and made outside the US...

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't know they did that. I've always wondered about steel core bullets. Now I want some.

Most of the cheap Russian ammo uses them. They will wear your barrel faster than domestic ammo, even though the steel jacket is copper washed. I like to pull the bullets and seat a Hornady or Sierra soft point, so I have cheap ammo with good bullets.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
even though the steel jacket is copper washed.

The stuff I ran into was not 'copper washed' it was fully jacketed in a copper jacket. The jacket would peal off and the steel core would continue to penetrate. There was no possibility of the steel core being able to touch the rifling.

Another thing was the chrome bore. Since a priority was being inexpensive, the rounds used the cheapest powder, which was a corrosive powder. The chrome bore allowed them to use the cheap powder as it would not corrode the chrome bore.

Some guys in Oz used a conversion chamber that allowed them to use the 7.63x39 rounds in their .303 Enfields. However, they had to clean their barrels after every shoot to avoid the corrosion.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The stuff I ran into was not 'copper washed' it was fully jacketed in a copper jacket. The jacket would peal off and the steel core would continue to penetrate. There was no possibility of the steel core being able to touch the rifling.

Another thing was the chrome bore. Since a priority was being inexpensive, the rounds used the cheapest powder, which was a corrosive powder. The chrome bore allowed them to use the cheap powder as it would not corrode the chrome bore.

Some guys in Oz used a conversion chamber that allowed them to use the 7.63x39 rounds in their .303 Enfields. However, they had to clean their barrels after every shoot to avoid the corrosion.
Good point on that powder. Some of my buddies shoot trap They use every shell known to man. Wolf brand shotgun shells perform fine but they’ve told me the powder is just very dirty. They clean them up after every shoot

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good point on that powder. Some of my buddies shoot trap They use every shell known to man. Wolf brand shotgun shells perform fine but they’ve told me the powder is just very dirty. They clean them up after every shoot

I just want to find some powder...

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to find shooters world match or some varmint. I haven't found any what so ever.
Not familiar with it, but then again I'm not familiar with any of them, I haven't reloaded since I was 15. I just shoot them, I find whatever I need.
I'll ask around a bit, do you have an FFL by any chance.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, what is a pound of Red Dot going for nowadays?

I haven’t loaded a 12 ga in ten years.
The last I found made reloading very economical. Still have a tub left. As far as actual numbers I honestly cannot remember. I know it was a pain to try to find it.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not familiar with it, but then again I'm not familiar with any of them, I haven't reloaded since I was 15. I just shoot them, I find whatever I need.
I'll ask around a bit, do you have an FFL by any chance.

Nope no FFL, But I've seen very good results online for this powder in both my match 223 and 6.5x47L. Which is mainly what I would use it for and reload for.

Right now I'm using CFE223 and RL-17, but I would like to condense to a singular cheaper powder.

RL-17 was for awhile, the only decent powder I could find mainly due to people thinking it wasn't temp stable. But it was reformulated and is now a stable base powder. As more people found out the more people bought it. Now its both unavailable and expensive comparatively speaking to what it once was.

As for the CFE 223, I bought some as an experiment and it's "OKAY". Not much to write home about.

The Alliant VARMINT powder shows really good velocities and consistency but is about $30 more expensive for a 8lb keg when compared to the shooters world.

For my pistols and other things I just run cheap steel case.

SWMR.jpg

Last edited:

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope no FFL, But I've seen very good results online for this powder in both my match 223 and 6.5x47L. Which is mainly what I would use it for and reload for.

Right now I'm using CFE223 and RL-17, but I would like to condense to a singular cheaper powder.

RL-17 was for awhile, the only decent powder I could find mainly due to people thinking it wasn't temp stable. But it was reformulated and is now a stable base powder. As more people found out the more people bought it. Now its both unavailable and expensive comparatively speaking to what it once was.

As for the CFE 223, I bought some as an experiment and it's "OKAY". Not much to write home about.

The Alliant VARMINT powder shows really good velocities and consistency but is about $30 more expensive for a 8lb keg when compared to the shooters world.

For my pistols and other things I just run cheap steel case.

View attachment 295818
I'll run about anything in most mine, if I can hit a pie plate at 10 with the pistols or one at 100 with the rifles I'm fine.
Not too hard to hit a chipmunk with the .17 at 50yrds so no need for anything special.
Snagged these up last weekend, little fun for the pistol(this one does fine at 100 with the green dot) and a few to set aside with the others.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 2.14.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 2.14.06 PM.png
    943.8 KB · Views: 13

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm glad I stocked up on everything a long time ago. If prices come down, I may add to my inventory.

Favorite powders are IMR 4350, 4064 and H-335. I have also played with RL 19 and 22 (it is the older stuff).

I just ordered a "bolt" peep sight for my Model 71 - 348 Winchester. Will be good to get that gun back in action (my eyes got too old for iron sights).

I shoots real nice with 60 gr of IMR 4350 under a 200 gr bullet.

Seems no one makes those bullets any more, so if I run short on the 1,000 plus that I have, I'll try the Barnes 220 gr (if they ever come off back order).

My Model 71 has "period correct" engraving on the side slabs, so the common peep sights were not an option.

It is a pretty gun, real nice shooter, and heavy hitter.