STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I finally got the long awaited 051AV today.What a basket case! It's missing the choke rod assmbly & the clutch cover & outer bar plate (I knew about the clutch cover & bar plate).Also missing the kill switch.The recoil has the ;ower rear ear broken off where the screw holds it on to the crankcase.Three out of the five AV mounts are shot.I took the plug out to see if it was correct & now it doesn't want to screw back in.The top of the piston looks like it has either rust on it or carbon build up.The decompression valve doesn't work,constantly stuck open.To top it off it doesn't have spark,it looks to have an electronic ignition,but I won't know for sure till I pull the FW.This is going to turn into a major project & money pit.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A little review I made for some new parts For my MS441.

I don't know why WCS didn't add one of the rubber buffers from the 462/500 kit to complete the 661 kit. It fits behind the coil and is the final piece that would make the saw stiffer but smooth. I'm not sure why they just have those 2 pieces.

You can buy those 2 parts from pro-line for about 5 bucks.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know why WCS didn't add one of the rubber buffers from the 462/500 kit to complete the 661 kit. It fits behind the coil and is the final piece that would make the saw stiffer but smooth. I'm not sure why they just have those 2 pieces.

You can buy those 2 parts from pro-line for about 5 bucks.
Got a link? Or what to search for (description) for the proline part? Ill definitely check it out.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This one their out of stock, but I'll order a couple of the other ones .

The rubbers that come with the WCS 462/500 kit work on a 261 and 661 on the flywheel side, I'm not sure on a 441..I can't remember.

They take the squish out as much if not more than the other 2 buffers.

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The rubbers that come with the WCS 462/500 kit work on a 261 and 661 on the flywheel side, I'm not sure on a 441..I can't remember.

They take the squish out as much if not more than the other 2 buffers.
I noticed that the proline side buffer has a post hole thats not closed off either, which won't matter if its fit works.
There's just not alot of 441 stuff out there as far as fixing problems, and the junk pile one I built takes some licks.
Thanks for the heads up.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They're common across the board for all the saws with that a/v setup. OEM is about the same price (or less) from a dealer when you factor in the ProLLine shipping.

And let's not forget, the extra range in the 461 a/v (and the others) is actually a selling point and a desired feature by lots of folks!

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They're common across the board for all the saws with that a/v setup. OEM is about the same price (or less) from a dealer when you factor in the ProLLine shipping.

And let's not forget, the extra range in the 461 a/v (and the others) is actually a selling point and a desired feature by lots of folks!

I've never seen a rubber option that's OEM from stihl in place of those foam pieces of sh!t that wear out quick and make your bar feel like a diving board when it's on it's side, if there is I'll buy a ton tomorrow.

A 461 isn't anywhere near as floppy as a 441.

WCS is making those kits because of demand, bars above 28" make these new stihl saws with spring mounts bounce around too much.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never seen a rubber option that's OEM from stihl
Me either. Also never said they existed. Just indicating OEM availability at about the same price given the others are "out of stock".

A 461 isn't anywhere near as floppy as a 441.
My bad there. I meant 441. Which brings up the question of why someone would buy a 441 over a 461 in the first place anyway considering the minimal price difference for the actual performance increase at nearly the same weight..., unless they wanted the 'smoother' a/v -- as compared to say, an 044/MS440, of course. Never made sense to me.

The only Stihl dealer in my area with a clue never even stocked 441s. Sold plenty of 461s, though. Still has a couple NIB stashed away along with a few 200Ts for his personal retirement bonus.

Last edited:

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Strangely enough I have never run across a used 461 in my area?
The 441 should have been offered with a 52mm top end.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the 045 AV Super today.What a difference between that & the 051 I got yesterday,like a difference between day & night.First thing I did was pull the AF cover off & found that it'd never been cleaned.It was like dirt on the filter.I cleaned it off & it's like new.Next I tried pulling the recoil rope & it wouldn't retract properly.I pulled the recoil off & cleaned it & then lubed the spring with Deep Creep.It worked like a charm & I put it back on &* gave it a pull & it fired on the prime I'd given it about 40 min.earlier.Next I checked the settings on the carb & they were fairly right on.Next I checked the fuel filter & could blow through it,but probably should be changed.I put some fuel in the tank & had to prime it again,but it fired right up & stayed running.The saw came with only a 20 in.bar & chain,so I'll pull the 25 in.bar & chain off my MS310 & swap them around.I don't think the 045 had been used much at all.I went to shut it off & got zapped by the switch.It may need a new switch & a new adjuster pin.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 6
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 6

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the 045 AV Super today.What a difference between that & the 051 I got yesterday,like a difference between day & night.First thing I did was pull the AF cover off & found that it'd never been cleaned.It was like dirt on the filter.I cleaned it off & it's like new.Next I tried pulling the recoil rope & it wouldn't retract properly.I pulled the recoil off & cleaned it & then lubed the spring with Deep Creep.It worked like a charm & I put it back on &* gave it a pull & it fired on the prime I'd given it about 40 min.earlier.Next I checked the settings on the carb & they were fairly right on.Next I checked the fuel filter & could blow through it,but probably should be changed.I put some fuel in the tank & had to prime it again,but it fired right up & stayed running.The saw came with only a 20 in.bar & chain,so I'll pull the 25 in.bar & chain off my MS310 & swap them around.I don't think the 045 had been used much at all.I went to shut it off & got zapped by the switch.It may need a new switch & a new adjuster pin.
Someone put a modern pull cord on it

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad you got an easy one Ed!

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I swapped the bars & chains around yesterday from my MS310 to the 045.The 045 looks more "menacing" with the 25 in.bar & chain on it now.The MS310 looks to be more ?normal" with a 20 in.on it.While I was at it I sharpened both chains.The 20 in.chain was all over the place,one cutter would be half sharp,the next would be dull,etc.The 25 in.only needed to be touched up.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran the 261 side by side with the Echo CS-500P today. The Stihl is definitely faster on the same log, however I think the chain takes bigger bites too compared to the Echo. Also, the Stihl sounds a bit lean to my ears. Gonna have to delimit the carb. The Echo really isn't that far behind power wise and definitely weighs less. The Stihl definitely has better anti-vibes, the Echo is kind of springy feeling. Would be interesting to compare the non-Mtronic 261 to the Echo CS-501P.

Both are excellent saws and I think roughly the same in terms of quality and durability. If I had to pick one, I would go with Echo because it costs less to begin with, weighs less, parts are cheaper and easier to source, and I'm very familiar with them. Of course, someone who is used to Stihl would pick the 261 for different reasons. I can see the Stihl being my saw of choice for the really big logs with the bar buried, the Echo for anything smaller.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, got the carb de-limited and reinstalled. The worst part is the 8mm nuts that secure it all together. The bores for the studs are super tight. Only tool I had that would work is a Snap-On deep well 5/16 and I had to grease it to go in there. I reset the carb to initial settings and she fired up and runs quite nicely. Factory RPM at WOT is 14k, probably set it to 13.5 or so.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I finally got the long awaited 051AV today.What a basket case! It's missing the choke rod assmbly & the clutch cover & outer bar plate (I knew about the clutch cover & bar plate).Also missing the kill switch.The recoil has the ;ower rear ear broken off where the screw holds it on to the crankcase.Three out of the five AV mounts are shot.I took the plug out to see if it was correct & now it doesn't want to screw back in.The top of the piston looks like it has either rust on it or carbon build up.The decompression valve doesn't work,constantly stuck open.To top it off it doesn't have spark,it looks to have an electronic ignition,but I won't know for sure till I pull the FW.This is going to turn into a major project & money pit.
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/stihl-056-av-magnum-ii.370506/
Nevermind I thought you had a 056