Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always try to wear my hearing protection when working with gas powered tools. Even wear it with battery powerd tools. So it doesn't bother me if they are loud
Loud as in not just loud to me, but also the neighborhood when I buck someone elses log pile.

MMed saws tend to scream so loud at WOT they can be heard far away.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 7900 brand new. After the muffler mod. with using Aspen2, this is how the spark plug looks like now, after 3 tank of fuel.
It is strange, that I made all the photos, in the same time, same plug, but between differet light circumstances. (indoor,outdoor,garage)
Do not You think running a little bit "lean"?

View attachment 329513 View attachment 329514 View attachment 329515 View attachment 329516 View attachment 329517
Looks good to me.

You don't want a ceramic white plug color, light brown is fine.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't even F-ing care anymore!

I have too much, more important, things to worry about than the only saw brand I ever used leaving the market.

With 20ish saws I think I am set up for the long haul anyway.

Yeah, I am grumpy this morning!
Just leave me alone . . .

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi folks,
I have been a bit lazy here during the last weeks having other things on my mind...

About a year ago I showed a DCS-5200 I traded for a couple of decals and other NOS replacement parts.
https://opeforum.com/threads/the-of...ar-chainsaws-thread.694/page-286#post-1217188

Finally I have found time to deal with the smurf and after finding more and more faults and glitches I decided to abandon the project.
This is a bit disappointing since the saw was announced to me as "a DCS 5200 it’s running and in a used condition"
and what I received was a pile of crap, well not exactly a pile but a saw that simply is garbage.

- It was announced as DCS 5200 but it turned out to be a DCS 520 where the cylinder has open transfers as opposed the the closed ones on a DCS 5200.
zylinder2.jpg

- Worse, the piston was seized and the mug was beyond repair with deep scratches even after etching for some hours:

kolben.jpg

zylinder3.jpg

So far it would have been acceptable given the value of the traded goods. But glitches continued to pop up.

- Bar mounting studs had been replaced with some home-made replacement thread bolts

falsche_haltebolzen.jpg

but the replacement studs don't even align:

fluchten_nicht.jpg

- More glitches are: Noticeable traces of wear on the crankshaft, oil pump drive entirely worn and unusable, main crank-bearing tight ...

No hard feelings but this is very disappointing considered that I did ship quality goods in exchange for crap.

Maybe I'll have some use for spares gathered from this saw in the future.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi folks,
I have been a bit lazy here during the last weeks having other things on my mind...

About a year ago I showed a DCS-5200 I traded for a couple of decals and other NOS replacement parts.
https://opeforum.com/threads/the-of...ar-chainsaws-thread.694/page-286#post-1217188

Finally I have found time to deal with the smurf and after finding more and more faults and glitches I decided to abandon the project.
This is a bit disappointing since the saw was announced to me as "a DCS 5200 it’s running and in a used condition"
and what I received was a pile of crap, well not exactly a pile but a saw that simply is garbage.

- It was announced as DCS 5200 but it turned out to be a DCS 520 where the cylinder has open transfers as opposed the the closed ones on a DCS 5200.
View attachment 329976

- Worse, the piston was seized and the mug was beyond repair with deep scratches even after etching for some hours:

View attachment 329978

View attachment 329977

So far it would have been acceptable given the value of the traded goods. But glitches continued to pop up.

- Bar mounting studs had been replaced with some home-made replacement thread bolts

View attachment 329991

View attachment 329990

- More glitches are: Noticeable traces of wear on the crankshaft, oil pump drive entirely worn and unusable, main crank-bearing tight ...

No hard feelings but this is very disappointing considered that I did ship quality goods in exchange for crap.

Sorry to hear that!
I had a PS-5105 purchase similar to that, paid more than the seller asked, received a saw in much worse condition than was advertised.
Parked the saw in a corner, unclear whether to part her out or rebuild.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi folks,

View attachment 329976

View attachment 329978

View attachment 329977

View attachment 329991

View attachment 329990

Sad to hear about this. I knowingly bought a large Poulan with some things "repaired". It's hard to imagine how someone can spend so much time on a repair, and screw it up so badly that it cannot be actually fixed!

crowslayer17

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have issues running 87 octane at 40:1?
I usually run 91 octane at 40:1 but last time I got gas they didn't have it so I went with the 87. I have 2 saws that started and were running fine and after a while my ported 6100 started having a high idle and also started dying in the cut. My stock 5105 was also dying in the cut. Initially I was using the 5105 with the remaining 91 / 40:1 and it ran fine then started acting up with the new mix which I didn't realize right away until I set it aside to look at later and grabbed the 6100 and then it started acting up after a while, it was the end of the day so I just picked and haven't checked them out yet. They both would start right back up but would die quickly with a load on them. Later that night I realized that it had happened to both with the new can of 87 mix gas. Has anyone had an issue like this? Could it be a simple tuning issue? Or possibly they do not like 87? I am going to dump the 87 and go back to 91 for starters. I use Dolmar mix oil.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up a really clean Makita 4300 today and it’s going to need a new clutch drum. Is there a replacement drum that is a rim drive in place of the factory spur drive? Thanks.