old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little bit more on the SD 120 super.
Today's finding: SACHS-DOLMAR 120 super, running.

sd_120_super-2-jpg.227655

As usual, the additional fuel pump went AWOL and was replaced by some kind of screw to close the hole in the tank's wall. I have a source for replacement.

The addtional fuel pump is a unique feature of the 120 super that sets her aside from most other saws.
Other than modern primers the pump doesn't flood the carburettor but rather spits drops of fuel into
the carb's intake funnel.
Everything in the setup was missing my saw only an unconnected fuel line from tank to intake-funnel was left.

The ball-pump is available new from Walbro but it's different from normal primer bulbs: There's only one line connector
and the pump is to be fixed into the wall of the fuel tank by a nut .

SD_120-super-Primer.jpg

Detail of the IPL:

SD-120-super-starter-pump.jpg

as one might expect: the custom check valve (48) is NLA. So I had to come up with an alternative.

SD-120-super-starter-pump-schema.jpg

This is the working scheme. It comes down to 2 check valves connected in line connected and having a third connector
between both for the primer bulb. First thought about using 2 separate laboratory check valves and a T-connector but
all the items I found had much to wide hose fittings so that further reducer would be needed an then, all of it has to fit
inside the saw's fuel tank.
But every diaphragm carb has exactly this very scheme built in. So why not just use an old carburettor as replacement part?

Here is my solution:

SD-120-valve-drilling-outlet-bore.jpg

I firs drilled a bore into the carb's body to connect to the screen chamber.

SD-120-valve-cutting-thread.jpg

The I cut a M3 thread into the new bore.

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Custom check valve continued...

SD-120-valve-cutting-off-housing.jpg

Then I cut the no longer needed part off the carb's body...

SD-120-valve-filled-canal.jpg

... screwed a hose fitting into the newly cut thread and epoxied the fuel channel that originally led to the needle valve. The diaphragm and gasket go into place as usual.

SD-120-primer-final-assembly.jpg

And this it: The original fuel intake still is used as intake and connects to a fuel filter, the new nipple holds the outgoing fuel line
that connects to the intake funnel and the impulse is now simulated by the primer bulb to which the third line connects.

Works like a charme!

Last edited:

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank You guys!

Why not a primer bulb from a Stihl br500?

As said, the primer bulb isn't the problem since it's available and matches the original one very close.
The problem was the check valve which is NLA.
And I'm not familiar with Stihl machines so I wouldn't know where to look for a potential match.

Edit: Because of the tip I have searched for the Stihl BR 500 primer.
It wouldn't do because it's a run-of-the-mill part to clip in but for the SD 120 super,
the bulb must be inserted into the side wall of the fuel tank and a clip-in
type bulb would never ever be leakproof.

Last edited:

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My mistake, sorry.
Never mind, its always good to get some hints beyond the things you already know.
And I have learned that Stihl apparently uses primer bulbs like all other competitors
which seem to be same as the ones you can buy at alibaba.com for 2,50 EUR the dozen.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dolmar PS-9010 first full wrap action, knotty turkey oak log, .325" Stihl RS (so smooth!) touched up with a Archer FastFiler jig
DSC02324.JPG DSC02326.JPG

Dolmar PS-550 took care of the knotty bits, no pictures though.

After lunch my Dolmar PS-6400 joined the party
DSC02338.JPG

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
9010 with .325???
Put some .404 on that bad boy and pull the trigger.
Yeppers, PS-9010 running .325" pitch Stihl RS with 9T sprocket - sooooooo smoooooth.

I also have a 3/8" pitch Stihl RS loop with 8T sprocket for the same bar (hard nose), I have to give it another try.

I tried to source a .404" Stihl RS loop, but there is none in .058" gauge locally.

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems I have failed to post some picts of my latest project, a Sachs-Dolmar 290 electric saw.
I hadn't seen this saw before until some months ago when one popped up at ebay.de.
Even dolmar.de didn't have downloads for this model when I last checked
(lately they have added a user's manual with IPL for this model and for the 201 as well).

Six weeks ago, my then future saw was offered in the bay for a 1 EUR start price
and it didn't pass the 2,50 EUR I offered. BTW: the other one, first appearing about November
last year with a price tag of 45 EUR is now at 29,99 EUR and still unsold.
Even if it seems this saw will not make it to high price collectible item, for a collector
of Dolmars and Sachs-Dolmars it still is a non-commonplace saw.

The saw was made by SKIL in their european subsidiary in the Netherlands and was also
sold as SKILSAW 1604H1 I believe. Reliable sources however are rare, electric saws
in the late seventies were even less sexy then they are today.

SD-290_finished_ls-halfback.jpg

SD-290_finished_ls-halffront.jpg

SD-290_finished_rs-halfback.jpg

SD-290_finished_rs-total.jpg

SD-290_finished_top.jpg

Last edited:

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Forgot to mention:
All decals on the SD 290 are original factory supplied. The oval one on the break cover needed a little glueing.
The hand protection at the rear handle is broken. It is one single part reaching from the back end of the rear handle
up around the saw body and the front handle's right base and bracing the oil fill plug. It is NLA.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dolmar PS-9010
Gave her a clutch cleaning, lubricated the drums needle bearing, sharpened both her chains, topped off fluids and swapped chains from .325" 9T to 3/8" 8T for any upcoming action.
Ready for action! :cool:

DSC02538.JPG DSC02539.JPG