Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
7:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As I said, I never had to remove one of those.

Generally yes, pry it out!
The outer part that You can see is a filter element, underneath it is a rubber vent nozzle.

Try using a needle or safety pin to remove the filter element.
I don't know how tight those are seated.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Should I just pry it out? Feels like I'm going to damage it enough to have to buy a new one
I don' t do this test often as they are ok on the whole so from memory......
To test tank vent in place.....
Drain fuel, put cap on tightly, take fuel line off carb and block the return from purge bulb to tank , use a vac/pressure pump connected to the fuel line to draw 7-10 psi. It should drop if the vent is allowing air ..IN..
Change to pressure setting and go to 7-10 psi ...should hold without loss . This helps to checks the fuel line and cap seal as well as the vent which is not supposed to vent ..OUT...
Some soapy solution on the tank cap should show you if there is a issue with it .
A combination of these test allow you to isolate any individual component faults.

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Uggh, I hate to do this, but thinking about offering my 5105 for sale here. Problem is, I just don't use it too often and my smaller saws cover almost everything I cut. The small amount of large stuff I cut can be handled by my Echo CS-500P. I don't have to sell it, but would rather see it go to a good home and get some use. If anybody is interested, I can make a post in the for sale section.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
1:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Uggh, I hate to do this, but thinking about offering my 5105 for sale here. Problem is, I just don't use it too often and my smaller saws cover almost everything I cut. The small amount of large stuff I cut can be handled by my Echo CS-500P. I don't have to sell it, but would rather see it go to a good home and get some use. If anybody is interested, I can make a post in the for sale section.

Port it.

Then it'll be your big saw:cool::coleman:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True, or I could sell my Echo 500. The 5105 would probably bring more money than the 500, at least I would think it would. My kid goes to the dentist tomorrow and I'm bracing for impact!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok folks, pics and prices on the 5105 and CS-500P are in the for sale section. My kid's dentist visit wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, the dentist wants to take another look at her in July. If no takers right now it's no big deal. I just don't cut that much stuff which requires a 50cc saw and maybe somebody else can put one to better use than just sitting around in my garage.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too late, done did it. The 5100 non-cat muffler is a perfect fit. Dolmar appears to have put some thought into the cat muffler design though. The catalyst is farther away from the exhaust port than others I have seen and there is a heat shield sandwiched between the muffler and jug. I found a long vertical scratch on the piston. It looks like it has been there awhile and doesn't extend to the ring or upper part of the piston as far as I can tell. I would guess that it inhaled something which scratched the piston back when the flimsy mesh air filter was on.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too late, done did it. The 5100 non-cat muffler is a perfect fit. Dolmar appears to have put some thought into the cat muffler design though. The catalyst is farther away from the exhaust port than others I have seen and there is a heat shield sandwiched between the muffler and jug. I found a long vertical scratch on the piston. It looks like it has been there awhile and doesn't extend to the ring or upper part of the piston as far as I can tell. I would guess that it inhaled something which scratched the piston back when the flimsy mesh air filter was on.
Everyone has different opinions but I hate those mesh air filters. Many complain that the flocked filters get plugged and dirty, to me that means that crap ain’t heading for the jug. Rather clean the filter than replace metal parts.

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True, or I could sell my Echo 500. The 5105 would probably bring more money than the 500, at least I would think it would. My kid goes to the dentist tomorrow and I'm bracing for impact!
A few years ago went on a business trip to buy a Rollback truck for our business,
Daughter went to the dentist while i was gone $16,000.00 for braces...
Plus turns out she needed double jaw surgery as well there went another $25,000.00 and that was with our free health care. I would hate to see the bill for that in the USA. It was a little over double what i paid for the truck

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everyone has different opinions but I hate those mesh air filters. Many complain that the flocked filters get plugged and dirty, to me that means that crap ain’t heading for the jug. Rather clean the filter than replace metal parts.
+1, flocked for work and mesh for gtg’s and racing is what I do