Reaction score
Good Lord Tom, I like your toys!!!!

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
5:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I wonder how hard it would be to fabricate a 4-way slip-on wedge for a special edition Super Split? That might be the cat's azz...

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
2573ms9.jpg
You have way too many cool man toys!!!
BBB

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hell, that looks like a working playground to me... Getting the trees on the deck is just the start of the job... What do you do with the chippings? I'd be even more impressed if you also invested in a hammermill for pellet making... Though you'd have to invest in a big one to make a worthwhile ROI between time and overhead...

Gary Courtney

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i am fixing to pull the trigger on a new splitter. I am leaning towards a yardmax 30 ton for 1499. any other suggestions !

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What type, how much and how often will you be splitting? You might get a plethora of responses without some qualifiers first...

Gary Courtney

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What type, how much and how often will you be splitting? You might get a plethora of responses without some qualifiers first...
5 cord a year,oak mainly however much time it takes to split 5 cords over several months. may drop down to 28 ton for 1099.00

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The 28 ton might be faster and be more user friendly. I definitely like speed, but I've always been an overkill fan and like having more capability then the need requires in my power tools. They seem to last longer that way.

Gary Courtney

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 28 ton might be faster and be more user friendly. I definitely like speed, but I've always been an overkill fan and like having more capability then the need requires in my power tools. They seem to last longer that way.
ordered the 30 ton yardmax today. will post pics when arrives

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tonnage ratings are highly exaggerated on most commercial log splitters .As far as I know the only company with true tonnage specs is Timberwolf .They rate their 5" cylinder models at 25 tons .If memory serves their 4" cylinders are rated at 20 tons .However for some reasons some manufactures give 28 ton ratings on 4" cylinders evidently as a selling point which is highly inaccurate according to the laws of physics --just saying ---

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Agreed and I didn't want to bring up the misleading marketing aspect as that horse has long been beaten dead... What I was implying was that, on average, the heavier built, more powerful unit is going to stand up to more use/ wear and tear than the underbuilt little brother. The 5.3l 325 & 5.7l 350 Chevys are wonderful truck engines and will get a lot of work done. That said, if it's going to be heavier work on a semi-frequent basis, give me a 6.0, 8.1 or Diesel, (or Ford/Dodge equivalents)... They'll usually last longer and perform better in the process. The upfront cost will be more, but the ROI is there later.

Bob95065

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Lickety EK308 that came to me for free. I fixed a Iron and Oak splitter for a family via a referral through our church. When I dropped it off they said there was an old splitter that was left in their field with a blown engine. They loaned it out and it was run with no oil. The "friend" took the engine apart and dropped it off. They asked me to haul it to the dump. Music to my ears.
I got a replacement K181 that needed a rebuild. I just got back from the machine shop when the phone rang. They found the missing parts for the original engine. I now have a spare. Recoil start Kohlers are hard to find.

100_1102_zps4bd03315.jpg

I move it around our property with my Cub Cadet 1000. I grew up on that machine in Illinois. I brought it out here and use it around our property in California. I usually throw a maul but pull out the splitter for the tough stuff. I'll stack a couple of rounds on the Lickety and set it to cycle while I go get more. It's pretty fast.

166, do you show a price for a EK308 in the price list you posted?

Super3, nice splitter!

Homelite410, nice 308