Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good stove wood there, about like throwing some coal in.
I am spooked to burn it as I know it burns real hot. I have heard the horror stories of burning stoves up. I have a Central Boiler outdoor stove now and I do not want to burn it up. I grew up with a bowwood and you sure did not put hedge in it. When I moved back to this farm I put a Menards special in and was not chancing it either

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am spooked to burn it as I know it burns real hot. I have heard the horror stories of burning stoves up. I have a Central Boiler outdoor stove now and I do not want to burn it up. I grew up with a bowwood and you sure did not put hedge in it. When I moved back to this farm I put a Menards special in and was not chancing it either

I have a Century stove from Menards & have no issues burning Osage in it. My cousin has a Central boiler & feeds it a steady diet of Osage.

Air control ( leaks/poor dampeners) seems to be the biggest issue with over firing in wood stoves.

The biggest issue with Osage for me is the coals I get when pushing my stove in really cold temps. I have to throw in some box elder or pine to burn down the coals to make room so I can stuff if again.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Century stove from Menards & have no issues burning Osage in it. My cousin has a Central boiler & feeds it a steady diet of Osage.

Air control ( leaks/poor dampeners) seems to be the biggest issue with over firing in wood stoves.

The biggest issue with Osage for me is the coals I get when pushing my stove in really cold temps. I have to throw in some box elder or pine to burn down the coals to make room so I can stuff if again.
The beauty of Locust is it burns so hot all you have is fine ash

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
4:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How close is this “hedge/osage” to mulberry? Pictures look like mulberry to me? I’m in Delaware state (when I tell people Delaware farmer they always assume Ohio)

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How close is this “hedge/osage” to mulberry? Pictures look like mulberry to me? I’m in Delaware state (when I tell people Delaware farmer they always assume Ohio)
They are in the same family, mulberry isn’t as hard or rot resistant. Both are yellow wood heart wood & turn brown when exposed to air.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had something simple to eat and she waltzed down those shop steps.
She ate some bread I gave her, then jump up those steps back outside without using her wings at all (runner ducks rarely utilize their wings to get up or down of something).
Crazy bird!

IMG_20240326_144435.jpg IMG_20240326_144443.jpg IMG_20240326_144451.jpg

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
4:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had something simple to eat and she waltzed down those shop steps.
She ate some bread I gave her, then jump up those steps back outside without using her wings at all (runner ducks rarely utilize their wings to get up or down of something).
Crazy bird!

View attachment 413487 View attachment 413488 View attachment 413489
What do you do with these ducks wilhelm ? Eggs? I know you love those ducks. I think they’re pretty cool. I just never was a huge duck egg fan. They would be easy to sell around here though

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you do with these ducks wilhelm ? Eggs? I know you love those ducks. I think they’re pretty cool. I just never was a huge duck egg fan. They would be easy to sell around here though
Mostly pets, but yes we consume their eggs.
Not much different than chicken eggs really, just much more dense.

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good stove wood there, about like throwing some coal in.
I wish we had some hedge or locust to burn up here. I purchased two ton of coal to run through my boiler this winter and it worked amazing !! My Crown Royal stove is rated for straight coal so no worries there. I’ll definitely be doing it again next burning season.

A neighbor of mine tosses a few shovels of coal in his central boiler and says it works great. I don’t think burning it straight would be a good idea though.

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yesterday Pops and I cleaned the steer barn out. 27 big loads like this in there. Roughly 22,000lbs in a load or around 300 ton total. That’s a lot of poooooooooooop !
IMG_0940.jpeg

It’s not full until it’s falling off the sides 😂
IMG_0939.jpeg

Today’s project is to replace 140ish light bulbs in the chicken coop. Sure hoping this little bulb changer deal I cobbled together makes it easier to do than last time I did this. Last time it took 2hrs 🤬
IMG_0941.jpeg

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20240330_113631.jpg
Local Vermeer dealer had their annual customer appreciation breakfast today. My $500 cup. They do drawings as well for door prizes, I was hoping to win the roll of net wrap so I didn't have to buy one. Few years back I won a new Husqvarna weed eater.

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My $500 cup.
You got off cheap !! I “earned” a heavy winter coat a few years back when two of our green machines ended up at the dealer’s shop at the sale time to fix things we couldn’t. Always hate seeing their lowboy pull in the yard 🤬

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a crappy note, my brother had a bull die a couple weeks ago. He chalked it up to bad luck thinking he just got his head down hill, earlier this week he lost another one. The vet came down & posted it, apparently it had a bad heart.

Both bulls came from the same breeder…

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
9:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a crappy note, my brother had a bull die a couple weeks ago. He chalked it up to bad luck thinking he just got his head down hill, earlier this week he lost another one. The vet came down & posted it, apparently it had a bad heart.

Both bulls came from the same breeder…

Luckily that don't happen too many times Jim but it sucks when it's a breeding Bull

Reactions: Lnk

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was helping Chase wean calves, sort off some replacement heifers & sort off some cull cows. Apparently last week, pound cows were bringing $1.70 # at local sale barn.