The Official Farming Thread...

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree wholeheartedly with the above replies about grounding. My Dad & brother can never keep cattle in with an electric fence, they only use an old rusty steel post for a ground rod, put it in the ground about 2’. When I ran it I used 8’ ground rods & put them in the ground about 6’-7’, I never had any issues.
Around here another problem is deer hitting the wire & knocking insulators & wire down.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
10:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got a really long rod prolly 5 ft in the
How's your grounding? Any problems I've had in the past ended up being bad ground more times than not.
ground or longer. Not saying it isn’t that. But I’ve been there myself. I’m wondering if my old charger is just getting sad on me.

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree wholeheartedly with the above replies about grounding. My Dad & brother can never keep cattle in with an electric fence, they only use an old rusty steel post for a ground rod, put it in the ground about 2’. When I ran it I used 8’ ground rods & put them in the ground about 6’-7’, I never had any issues.
Around here another problem is deer hitting the wire & knocking insulators & wire down.

Yup
Exactly

Sent from Hoskey hilltop

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From time to time I will run an extra wire just for the ground along with the hot wire. Takes care of the problem of completing the circuit when its dry like now. I was hitting the fence at dad's couple weeks ago and didn't get shocked because of the dryness.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got a really long rod prolly 5 ft in the

ground or longer. Not saying it isn’t that. But I’ve been there myself. I’m wondering if my old charger is just getting sad on me.
I agree that should be enough, as long as everything is working like it should. Maybe the fencer is getting tired, or there's a loose or corroded connection somewhere.

Mine is a pair of 4' copper ground rods, plus one of the copper rods is also tied into the barn roof and siding with a #4 wire, so it makes a million little ground contacts.