The Official Craigslist & eBay Thread

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey there he is, how about some info on these super dupper magnums now that slacker boy is gone.....or is there some kind of secret hand shake?

Here is what I know;

I got mine from the PNW, and I made calls & sent emails to find out as much as I could on them.

A stihl distributor in the PNW, had mods done to them, and marketed them to local dealers, they had some port work done to the cylinders, a few mods to the carb, and they put a deflector on the flywheel side of the muffler. Stihl distributor is the ones who came up with the super magnum name & sticker.

I talked to the dealer were mine was sold new. Got that info from them.

I also emailed stihl, (for what it's worth) the guy from stihl who emailed me back, said yes a few stihl distributors (not just in the USA) had mods done to stock saws, and named them super magnums. Guy from stihl said it was only done for a short period of time, it did not go over as expected. So they stopped, he told me if I had one I should hang on to it, as they are pretty rare.

During my research, I stumbled on a saw site over in Europe, a member there had a 044 super magnum, and pieces of a 2nd one. I joined that forum, so I could view the pic's and talked with him a little in PM.

I talked with someone in WI, who was/is a dealer, he told me the subject of super magnums came up a few times, at dealer seminars, but he only heard about them he never got any in his store in his hands. Years later someone brought one to him in a box in pieces blow up.

----

It is just a neat piece of history. I've ran my super magnum against a few of my stock 044's and it's noticeably stronger, then a stock saw. I also ran mine super magnum against a ported 044 I had from a builder here, the super magnum did not beat it, but it was right on it's heels, needed a stop watch to tell which one was faster.

Super magnums are not just a stock saw with a sticker.

They are out there, I missed out on two others shortly after I bought mine, sure wish I could have got my hands on them also. A member on this site, found one also for sale to him locally.

That is what I know, take it for what it's worth, think that they are fake, or real.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
5:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Here is what I know;

I got mine from the PNW, and I made calls & sent emails to find out as much as I could on them.

A stihl distributor in the PNW, had mods done to them, and marketed them to local dealers, they had some port work done to the cylinders, a few mods to the carb, and they put a deflector on the flywheel side of the muffler. Stihl distributor is the ones who came up with the super magnum name & sticker.

I also emailed stihl, (for what it's worth) the guy from stihl who emailed me back, said yes a few stihl distributors (not just in the USA) had mods done to stock saws, and named them super magnums. Guy from stihl said it was only done for a short period of time, it did not go over as expected. So they stopped, he told me if I had one I should hang on to it, as they are pretty rare.

During my research, I stumbled on a saw site over in Europe, a member there had a 044 super magnum, and pieces of a 2nd one. I joined that forum, so I could view the pic's and talked with him a little in PM.

I talked with someone in WI, who was/is a dealer, he told me the subject of super magnums came up a few times, at dealer seminars, but he only heard about them he never got any in his store in his hands. Years later someone brought one to him in a box in pieces blow up.

----

It is just a neat piece of history. I've ran my super magnum against a few of my stock 044's and it's noticeably stronger, then a stock saw. I also ran mine super magnum against a ported 044 I had from a builder here, the super magnum did not beat it, but it was right on it's heels, needed a stop watch to tell which one was faster.

They are out there, I missed out on two others shortly after I bought mine, sure wish I could have got my hands on them also. A member on this site, found one also for sale to him locally.

That is what I know, take it for what it's worth, think that they are fake, or real.
Thanks for the information.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is what I know;

----

I found an 038 with the same badge a few years ago. Guy wanted too much for it as it had a leaky tank. Always wondered about it though.

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
7:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya just got to be careful:
4b22d58a2a2ac1ad4d66a142f4828539.png
f67182806658e85c5c04d6150048f05b.png
And the most coveted one
b4371bc70e4f5674581f91e12d34996f.png

Erik

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here is what I know;

----

Thanks for the info...gfy

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag