The new 70cc ECHO saw

Piston Skirt

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why ...... aren't they tough enough ......

Judging by average lifespan of the chainsaw (at least in some European countries) forestry is the toughest place you can use a saw :)
Some local firewood cutters are still using old 560XP with mag cases, forestry guys still can't squeeze a year from aluminum version (mag ones went dead in 300-400hrs)

Piston Skirt

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So saws are dead in 9 weeks ...... I think the problem is the operators not the saw ......

Yes, basically the conditions, neglection and usage are overly harsh. However tougher saws withstand this torture longer. Also all the points where those were failing were revised by manufacturer which is also a hint. Anyway, let's get back to the silence and waiting for the last few months before sharp plastics will hit the fan. Not so much of them left on this new saw, eh..

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
7:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems like this is echo’s first foray in years into a real 70cc 5 cube class forestry saw, a majorly popular selling class of saw. Which peaks my interest if it runs good and they sell it for a good price point. Not that I need another saw lol... but I like to have options :). The rest of echos are mostly smaller firewood saws or top handle arborist saws. The 680 and 800 are ancient. The 620p is kinda a hotrod yes... that competes with the 562xp and ms362. But it’s a bit small for a primary logging saw in bigger hardwoods and the proprietary bar mount is also a bit annoying imo. That hole in the lineup could be filled by this new saw.

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems like this is echo’s first foray in years into a real 70cc 5 cube class forestry saw, a majorly popular selling class of saw. Which peaks my interest if it runs good and they sell it for a good price point. The rest of echos are more firewood saws. The 680 and 800 are ancient and the 620p is kinda a hotrod, but a bit small for a logging saw in bigger hardwoods.
What's the difference between a "firewood saw" and one for logging? Durability or power output? Just curious.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the difference between a "firewood saw" and one for logging? Durability or power output? Just curious.
70cc like a 372xp is about the smallest I’ll run for a logging saw here in bigger hardwoods. The 60cc don’t quite have the power or oiler capacity to bore cut with a 24-28” bar in hardwood like hickory or oak. Really it’s about using the right tool for the job. Smaller wood/smaller saw, bigger wood/bigger saw. Simple really. Firewood is a bit different for variety of reasons. Durability doesn’t seem to be a issue with echo at all. They are just lacking in features, ergonomics and power in the segments that sell against saws like the 572, 390, 462, 461, 661 and 7900 for example.

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makes sense. I cut firewood with a 90cc, for the speed primarily, and it is the heaviest I'm willing to run around with. Although I wouldn't mind trading it out for a well modded 490 or 261 with how extra light and strong they are.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
70cc like a 372xp is about the smallest I’ll run for a logging saw here in bigger hardwoods. The 60cc don’t quite have the power or oiler capacity to bore cut with a 24-28” bar in hardwood like hickory or oak. Really it’s about using the right tool for the job. Smaller wood/smaller saw, bigger wood/bigger saw. Simple really. Firewood is a bit different for variety of reasons. Durability doesn’t seem to be a issue with echo at all. They are just lacking in features, ergonomics and power in the segments that sell against saws like the 572, 390, 462, 461, 661 and 7900 for example.
You have learned, grasshopper lol

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makes sense. I cut firewood with a 90cc, for the speed primarily, and it is the heaviest I'm willing to run around with. Although I wouldn't mind trading it out for a well modded 490 or 261 with how extra light and strong they are.
You use a 90cc saw but are willing to trade it with a 50cc saw?

Um...... Huh?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

So you're saying I can run a 32" bar on my Husky 55?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you're saying I can run a 32" bar on my Husky 55?
Well no lol. I’ve ran a 24” bar and even a 28” bar occasionally on a stock 562xp cutting firewood. It does the job bucking rounds straight through and the occasional big piece bar buried if you let it work at its own pace. Not a speed demon but good on fuel, you can be productive cutting firewood with it. Now out in the log woods, that same setup wouldn’t be as productive. Lacks power bore cutting/felling and doesn’t have the torque bumping crotches and knots. A 372 has the oiler and torque to do that. Chassis is stronger. Now in pulpwood or limbing hemlock/pine I would use the 562 if the wood was on the small side. It comes down to the same thing, using the right tool for the job.

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You use a 90cc saw but are willing to trade it with a 50cc saw?

Um...... Huh?
Sure for cutting firewood 24" and smaller, I might use a very strong 50cc just for how light weight it is. It depends on how much I'm cutting. I'm talking about which of my saws I'd pick for the job, not literal trade Joe my 90cc for his 50cc, I have to keep a big saw around for big wood. Last time I cut firewood was with a ported 490, and I was really impressed with the speed (8t .325 rim and the depth gauges filed a bit on the chain), and no muscle cramps afterward.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well no lol. I’ve ran a 24” bar and even a 28” bar occasionally on a stock 562xp cutting firewood. It does the job bucking rounds straight through and the occasional big piece bar buried if you let it work at its own pace. Not a speed demon but good on fuel, you can be productive cutting firewood with it. Now out in the log woods, that same setup wouldn’t be as productive. Lacks power bore cutting/felling and doesn’t have the torque bumping crotches and knots. A 372 has the oiler and torque to do that. Chassis is stronger. Now in pulpwood or limbing hemlock/pine I would use the 562 if the wood was on the small side. It comes down to the same thing, using the right tool for the job.

image (1).jpg

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well why wouldn't it be fine?

And 55's are 53cc!!
What I was trying to say was that when I was cutting firewood I could get away with running a tad underpowered saw for the bar length as long as it wasn’t crazy and the bar isn’t fully buried all the time. When I’m logging bore cutting/felling a 1,000$ hard maple tree with the skidder chasing me, the last thing I want is a inadequate saw bar/chain combo. Comes back to using the right tool for the job. If you don’t believe me, try logging 2-3 foot hardwood with a stock 60cc saw and 24-28” bar full comp chain. Let me know how it works out.

Last edited: