The Husqvarna 550XP

Sty57

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
@Tor R
Can you install new seals without splitting the case? Or are they part of the bearing?
77db10466605506f0b60814d9584285c.jpg

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any of you guys doing a timing advance on the 550 / 2253?

I did a hack-saw muff mod on my 550 (Cut 3 slots on the PTO side, then used a screwdriver to make them into 'gills'). I've been test running it to see if there are any issues. I plan on pulling the muffler soon and seeing how things look, but it woke the saw up for sure.

Not sure about timing advance. I haven't messed with that yet.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One other thing I noticed on that 550 - I used a golf piston, as it's really just a toy / test mule for me right now, so no need to spend $$ on OEM.

Anyway, the little cutout in the intake side of the piston skirt just clears the intake port at TDC. The OEM piston that was scored in it did not do that - it left a little bit of piston skirt showing at TDC.

Since I didn't run the saw without muff mod, or next to the other 550 I built with an OEM piston, I can't comment for sure. Is it possible the little bit earlier opening of the intake be part of what woke this one up?

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 550 that will not idle at all. what is the first thing to check?

also
the springs are out of the clutch, it is the 2 C spring style. how do I get them back in?

Sty57

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a 550 that will not idle at all. what is the first thing to check?

also
the springs are out of the clutch, it is the 2 C spring style. how do I get them back in?
David did you check all the normal stuff on it...... Plug, Air / Fuel filter, Spark screen?

My dads 550 had the ring stuck in the land and was down on compression.
The J-Red that I just did must of had an air leak from day one. I'm guessing it was over fueling trying to keep it's self alive. When I pulled the screen out of the muffler, it was almost completely plugged shut.

Attachments

• 545 550 XP 550XPG ALSO TRIO BRAKE.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 16

Scott555

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
brand new here, hi all.

I bought a brand new 550xp in late 2017 - just realized by its serial number that it was made in 2013.
It's a triobrake model, so maybe it was hard to move, or what not. Regardless, with only about ten hours or so on it, it's now in shop because it's lost nearly all compression and won't start.

My question here is - should I be concerned about having gotten such an old saw? I'm trying to see what improvements I may have missed out on. I've come across a few, a venting improvement on fuel tank - anything really meaningful?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
brand new here, hi all.

I bought a brand new 550xp in late 2017 - just realized by its serial number that it was made in 2013.
It's a triobrake model, so maybe it was hard to move, or what not. Regardless, with only about ten hours or so on it, it's now in shop because it's lost nearly all compression and won't start.

My question here is - should I be concerned about having gotten such an old saw? I'm trying to see what improvements I may have missed out on. I've come across a few, a venting improvement on fuel tank - anything really meaningful?
It is worth reflashing the autotune to the newest update firmware

Scott555

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It is worth reflashing the autotune to the newest update firmware

I've since learned that newer 550XP saws have revised crank, bearings, piston, cylinder, oil pump, and 4 different revisions to the carb. Will definitely be pushing for a new saw !

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've since learned that newer 550XP saws have revised crank, bearings, piston, cylinder, oil pump, and 4 different revisions to the carb. Will definitely be pushing for a new saw !
If your gonna throw it out send it my way

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lesson learned. Next time asking for a serial no and date of manufacture are wise questions. Some saws brands/models it don't matter so much but 5 series Hooskies...