The forestry and logging pictures thread

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
3:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another view of that state thinning unit. It was supposed to be 160 acres of ground, surrounded by usfs on 3 sides. Mostly sub alpine and alpine for with some patches of mountain hemlock. Is pretty high up, right at 6000 feet in elevation, the timber growth rings are very tight in this stand. The preexisting skid trails are nice, no road building required. I did find some cool old d6 cat sprockets buried in some debris when I was locating and marking trails.IMG_20210710_104139088.jpg

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree, but some people are just ignorant/uninformed. I spent 3 months in a city environment where I was the only hick in the room. In the course of that time I wound up chatting with city folks a lot. When I told them my major interest was forestry, they'd typically respond with, "Oh, are you trying to get a degree in Environmental Sciences (or some similar degree)?" "No, I wanna run a saw." "..... Oh."
Then I would explain how overgrown where I lived was, how dangerous that was, and how thinned out the forests need to be in order to be healthy. I'd also explain how loggers have a vested interest in the survival and re-growth of our forests since that is what their livelihood depends on. The typical reaction was somewhere along the lines of, "Oh, there's too much brush and forests are too thick? They aren't in danger of being logged to extinction?"
I found most people were receptive and interested in what I was telling them, and it obviously was not what they were usually told.

You think you can change minds it really doesn’t work up here all that well especially with Portland.
19d0d8976194db2e83c2657605457320.png

These are great examples of it, they think the ground would be so much better managed if the state or feds had control of it. That said do I agree with how the companies are managing the ground no it’s not forestry with such a short cycle but it is what it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the main problems we have out here (apart from negligent land owners) is that the various governments and land management agencies cannot agree on how they want their individual lands managed. In Oregon, the state aggressively suppresses fire and never manages a fire (i.e. allowing a fire to burn to mitigate fuels build-up). They do a lot of prescribed fire but some of their projects aren't all that effective. The local city and county governments do little or no prescribed fire, mainly because they just don't have the expertise. Many of the counties log or thin some of their property but don't dispose of the resulting slash properly.

Many of the federal agencies here aggressively pursue prescribed fire but intensive smoke control regulations shut down a lot of the projects because they'll potentially smoke out a heavily populated area. Some of the Interior agencies have managed fire policies so they can let fires burn when they don't threaten homes or infrastructure, and that seems to be the most effective way anymore of dealing with heavy fuels in the woods (smoke management rules don't really apply to "emergency" wildland fires).

It's a complex problem and the solutions are going to be equally complex, but the bottom line is all the agencies, local & municipal governments, and large private landowners will need to get together, agree on solutions, and then implement those solutions together. I'll bet it takes near to 100 years before we start to get a handle on western Megafires.
Does homeowners cut the treeline back
To help reduce loss
Or does it even help as fast as the fires move?
I cut mine back a couple hundred feet
Just because we get a lot of blowdowns here not fires.

Allanb8d

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does homeowners cut the treeline back
To help reduce loss
Or does it even help as fast as the fires move?
I cut mine back a couple hundred feet
Just because we get a lot of blowdowns here not fires.

Just my 2 cents, been reading a couple books about Wildland Firefighting and stuff. There's an issue with folks buying land and building houses in "fire zone". Not generalizing, but usually urban folks who wants a "cabin in the wood" type deal. Surrounding by trees with no firebreaks, and no usage of FIRE RETARDANT building materials.

When firefighting, the usual consensus is if someone's property is in the way, they will do their best to save it because it's heartbreaking to see folks lose everything. That pressure put wildland firefighters in more danger.

I think that the same standard when it comes to building houses in coastal flood zone should apply. "You want to build a house in this inherent dangerous place?" "Go ahead, but if it's destroyed by known natural forces that are unpreventable. You're not allow to build it back."

If you're gonna build in these fire zones, definitely clear out the boundaries and use the proper building materials.

Last edited: