jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guarantee that no one in the first photo said, " ah is that gluten free?".

When I first started in fire - when you got to the food tent to get in line, there was a giant Rubbermaid tub full of real silverware and we all stuck our dirty, greasy, nasty hands
in the thing and pawed through it until we found the forks, spoons, and knives we wanted.

Now they give you this sealed packet with plastic silverware, little things of salt and pepper, and a wet-knap. Just even my lifetime, things have gotten weird.

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
2:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 307023 I can’t imagine what the wild land firefighters go through. Giving the OFB 2171 a little work. It’s 90* here in southern Ontario with 87 % humidity, hotter than Port Charlotte Florida, go figure

Can confirm, wildland sawyer duties aren’t very fun. What I went through a lot of was water, clean socks and underwear. Otherwise, RH is usually low in fire season so at least when I went out west in the late summer after cooking in the combination heat and humidity in the southeast US it was a welcome change.

Or at least that was my experience, last roll for me was November 2018.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
11:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 307023 I can’t imagine what the wild land firefighters go through. Giving the OFB 2171 a little work. It’s 90* here in southern Ontario with 87 % humidity, hotter than Port Charlotte Florida, go figure
What's ofb? Old farm boy???

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can confirm, wildland sawyer duties aren’t very fun. What I went through a lot of was water, clean socks and underwear. Otherwise, RH is usually low in fire season so at least when I went out west in the late summer after cooking in the combination heat and humidity in the southeast US it was a welcome change.

Or at least that was my experience, last roll for me was November 2018.
Were you in South Carolina 2018?

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Were you in South Carolina 2018?

I was not, I contracted a dozer that winter in eastern Kentucky, then spent most of the spring & summer doing my day job and then went out west as an AD employee as California blew up that fall. Ended up on the Camp fire in November and I haven’t been back in fire outside of a local level since.

That incident was brutal for everyone involved and selfish as it may seem, I have lots of other options other than fire.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was not, I contracted a dozer that winter in eastern Kentucky, then spent most of the spring & summer doing my day job and then went out west as an AD employee as California blew up that fall. Ended up on the Camp fire in November and I haven’t been back in fire outside of a local level since.

That incident was brutal for everyone involved and selfish as it may seem, I have lots of other options other than fire.

Don't take this wrong way, but I for one have seen enough fire, so I don't blame you.