High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

The forestry and logging pictures thread

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I can help with servicing some of the stuff for sure, like splitting cases on the saws and installing new bearings and seals. If you end up with it, I'd like to check out that power pump
unit, those are pretty cool.
You might know the cutter, Jamie White? This is some of his stuff.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How do those power units work? Powerhead turns a hydraulic pump and you use a lever or button to control the rams? I’ve never seen in action
I’ve never personally used one, but there is a lever on there that you can throw into pumping gear, neutral, or flow back to retract the rams. I hear they are great, particularly for danger trees. Smooth, continuous lift.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have access to several sets of backpack jacks, and I have my own self-contained pump and ram. I love the self-contained jack except in old-growth on steep ground. I prefer hoses and some distance there, lol.

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have access to several sets of backpack jacks, and I have my own self-contained pump and ram. I love the self-contained jack except in old-growth on steep ground. I prefer hoses and some distance there, lol.

A good set of jacks, and learning to use them
properly is on my list this year. I mostly do residential and we have a lot of pull trees that end up with a cable and and a come along in them. I’d love to have an option to jack them over,either standalone or with rope assist. I thought about a Bontrager setup but $2k us a lot of cash for something that comes out once every 6 months

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
D19167C7-C8DD-41FD-B335-49BECE1AF0B5.jpeg 10ACDD7F-049F-4C21-A431-7AA4C02FA23D.jpeg 9495890B-8A2B-42A6-94BE-C8A3268DFF8F.jpeg 95099D6C-116A-4853-A367-36C0FD891101.jpeg 2D73A821-AC62-4367-A350-D47CB7A6E0E5.jpeg I wish @HYPERSAWS and I had some pictures of some of the extreme trees we’ve lifted with jacks, but we weren’t thinking as much about taking pictures at the time. But here’s a few.
We have had trees we thought were not possible to be lifted, and the Bullbuck at the time, Frank, gave us the “I used to do it in my day” speech, and that gave us the nerves to try it. He was mostly right, lol.
Jacks can make life a lot easier out here sometimes.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 284468 View attachment 284469 View attachment 284470 View attachment 284471 View attachment 284472 I wish @HYPERSAWS and I had some pictures of some of the extreme trees we’ve lifted with jacks, but we weren’t thinking as much about taking pictures at the time. But here’s a few.
We have had trees we thought were not possible to be lifted, and the Bullbuck at the time, Frank, gave us the “I used to do it in my day” speech, and that gave us the nerves to try it. He was mostly right, lol.
Jacks can make life a lot easier out here sometimes.

They sure beat beating your guts out some days or if you have something special that only has one shot to save out. Some of the coolest jacking pictures are on Madsens down in the redwoods.

If you need I have the parts diagrams still of the rams and I think of the pump sections.

Are you guys far enough south to start seeing the reds naturally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A good set of jacks, and learning to use them
properly is on my list this year. I mostly do residential and we have a lot of pull trees that end up with a cable and and a come along in them. I’d love to have an option to jack them over,either standalone or with rope assist. I thought about a Bontrager setup but $2k us a lot of cash for something that comes out once every 6 months

I had the Silvey "Hi-Jacker", which I bought when they first came out. A Hi-Jacker and a good running 046 was mainly what a guy needed in the woods in the mid-late 90's. The Hi-Jacker would pretty much do anything a guy needed except when you had to be away from the stump. I bought my Tree-Savers from a retired H&W faller. The good thing about those is you can just run one ram in medium timber.

I've heard good things about the powered jacks myself. In Alaska during the 80's and 90's, those guys would mostly double-jack. One guy would pack jacks and odds & ends, and the other guy would pack the saw, jugs, axe, and boards
if they needed any. I saw a home video at Roger Smith's place of him and his cutting partner putting a big Spruce down with four rams.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe so. He lives in Bandon, looks and sounds like Sam Elliot, and is never without a cigarette, lol.

Sounds like the same guy I'm thinking of. He was on a fire in 2005 down near Cave Junction. He'd just gotten back from Alaska and one of his NWTF buddies pulled him to go do fire duty.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They sure beat beating your guts out some days or if you have something special that only has one shot to save out. Some of the coolest jacking pictures are on Madsens down in the redwoods.

If you need I have the parts diagrams still of the rams and I think of the pump sections.

Are you guys far enough south to start seeing the reds naturally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Except for some planted sites, no. I don’t know for sure where they start at the coast. Gold Beach? Probably farther I’m guessing. They are starting to plant more of it here, though.

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Except for some planted sites, no. I don’t know for sure where they start at the coast. Gold Beach? Probably farther I’m guessing. They are starting to plant more of it here, though.
There is a beautiful stand in gold Beach
With a few that are scattered north of there

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got to see the Croman boys doing some heli-logging above the Rogue River, near Prospect, Oregon:

I knew an old WW1 veteran & trapper that was doing that in the late 70's & early 80's around the Siletz river area. It was about maybe 10 miles north of the town of Siletz. I was a kid in high school and I believe his saw was an 045 or 056.

Last edited: