The dogs of OPEforum

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Poor old Cole is running on fumes these days. He is mostly blind and just lays around with little appetite. He is at least 14 but probably more. I'm hoping he clocks out on his own before we have to make that call to the vet, we shall see. Still, he has had a great life and I'm glad we were a part of it.IMG_20240512_095346104.jpg

full chizel

ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Poor old Cole is running on fumes these days. He is mostly blind and just lays around with little appetite. He is at least 14 but probably more. I'm hoping he clocks out on his own before we have to make that call to the vet, we shall see. Still, he has had a great life and I'm glad we were a part of it.View attachment 423367
Iā€™d make the call especially if heā€™s suffering

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
GoldMember
Local time
5:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. He isn't suffering from what I can tell, just lays around. He is still happy to see us when we walk into the garage.
My uncles Gold Ret is running on fumes.
He is deaf and mostly blind, gets barely up on his paws from a resting pose.
But he barks, cuddles, takes regular walks on his own.
He gets some joint meds and vitamins with his food, but he is not in a condition that calls for having him put down.

My sisters pup Odin is 15 this year.
He is a very energetic breed prone to joint issues - which he has including a list of other health related problems.
But my sister won't hear of having him put down.
Her reasoning, we don't euthanize our sick elders either - we care for them as best as we can.
Odin is HER pup, the new pup Taron is my BIL's pup.

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think he is at the state where we need to help him go right now, but it may come soon. Taking it one day at a time. My last pet that died was my cat Rose. I do believe she held on until she could go while laying in my lap, and I am grateful for that. I may pull up a chair outside and sit by Cole, see if he will make his exit that way.

full chizel

ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think he is at the state where we need to help him go right now, but it may come soon. Taking it one day at a time. My last pet that died was my cat Rose. I do believe she held on until she could go while laying in my lap, and I am grateful for that. I may pull up a chair outside and sit by Cole, see if he will make his exit that way.
Sorry man, i hate to hear its coming to that. We had to put our 9yo chocolate lab to sleep 4 years ago. Its real tough to do but it was the right decision. We have a 3yo black lab now.

The problem is they donā€™t live long enough. I like my dog more than most people.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. He has gotten to where he can't walk but just lays on the cool garage floor next to his food and water and sleeps mostly. He is still happy to see me when I come check on him. I think he has entered the stage where his body is undergoing a gradual and orderly shutdown, as I have observed in other pets. Before bed last night I told him that he could go whenever he wants to, and we'll meet on the other side.

Wilhelm

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry man, i hate to hear its coming to that. We had to put our 9yo chocolate lab to sleep 4 years ago. Its real tough to do but it was the right decision. We have a 3yo black lab now.

The problem is they donā€™t live long enough. I like my dog more than most people.
I like every dog I meet for the first time, unlike most people I know for decades.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey gang, I could really use your prayers right now. I think Cole is ready to check out. He hasn't eaten or drank water today and is just resting quietly. I believe he is ready to shed his blind and arthritic body. I'm just sitting here with him. Thanks!

Wilhelm

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey gang, I could really use your prayers right now. I think Cole is ready to check out. He hasn't eaten or drank water today and is just resting quietly. I believe he is ready to shed his blind and arthritic body. I'm just sitting here with him. Thanks!
Cole, may You peacefully go to dog heaven chew on meaty bones and chase the gals! šŸ˜¢