Tapatalk vs OPEforum App

bertfixessome

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brave browser seems to have been the best one I have ever used particulalry for add blocking .
I do not mind adds and used to click on them on other forums I haunt .
However the add writers have gone haywire trying to intimidate other add coders and show the world haw hip & cool they are so now they all seem to be into dynamic resizing so the actual text can not be read because the adds continaully resize causing the text to bounce up & down he screen like trousers in a brothel .
On some of the forums we have actually written to advertisers telling them that their adds have destroyed our viewing so we will never ever buy any of their products and will get our families & friends to boycott them as well
I appreciate that forums are expensive to run but there is no excuse for shoving add in that hyjack the processor for up to 1 minute while the adplacer interrogates your browser's cache then reads all of your emails and in one case was trying to access all of my files in order to "customise" the adds it worked out I might respond to
But apparently this is OK unless the add placer is Tic Tok .
So now I use Brave for all forums and see absolutely no adds ever
FWIW I run 2 apps that log what browsers are trying to do plus another that monitors CPU use and then reports back .
IT is frightening when you see what adds try to do.
This is a old Mac that is used excluseivly for web browsing.
I have it set up in multi user mode and my account does not have root privlidges ( set us as a child )
As such no routines of any sort can be loaded into the computer by an app without an administrator approving it.
So when I started to get multiple request per session to allow the browser to write routines onto my computer, I bumped those forums .

Now I might be really weird but I can not see any reason why any one would have to be on a forum full time on their phons unless they were a moderator who needs to toss out spam the instant it is loaded .

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
6:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you using iPhone? You'll need to stick with Chrome (or Safari, heaven forbid). The forum software creators have problems with Apple, so far we only have an Android app.

I’m using safari on an iPhone and it sucks. It’s constantly logging me off so I every time I want to check the forum I have to enter my difficult 12 character or more password or I have to view in public mode which is slathered with adds and shows the new posts in no particular order.

exCanuck

FartKnockerForum System Admin
GoldMember
Local time
5:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m using safari on an iPhone and it sucks. It’s constantly logging me off so I every time I want to check the forum I have to enter my difficult 12 character or more password or I have to view in public mode which is slathered with adds and shows the new posts in no particular order.
Anyone using iPhone, Safari have advice?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone using iPhone, Safari have advice?
My advice. Get rid of the iPhone. My wife needed a "new" phone....so yesterday I bought her a unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 from Ebay for 70.00. It will work well for her....and takes great pictures too.

calcutta250

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brave browser seems to have been the best one I have ever used particulalry for add blocking .
I do not mind adds and used to click on them on other forums I haunt .
However the add writers have gone haywire trying to intimidate other add coders and show the world haw hip & cool they are so now they all seem to be into dynamic resizing so the actual text can not be read because the adds continaully resize causing the text to bounce up & down he screen like trousers in a brothel .
On some of the forums we have actually written to advertisers telling them that their adds have destroyed our viewing so we will never ever buy any of their products and will get our families & friends to boycott them as well
I appreciate that forums are expensive to run but there is no excuse for shoving add in that hyjack the processor for up to 1 minute while the adplacer interrogates your browser's cache then reads all of your emails and in one case was trying to access all of my files in order to "customise" the adds it worked out I might respond to
But apparently this is OK unless the add placer is Tic Tok .
So now I use Brave for all forums and see absolutely no adds ever
FWIW I run 2 apps that log what browsers are trying to do plus another that monitors CPU use and then reports back .
IT is frightening when you see what adds try to do.
This is a old Mac that is used excluseivly for web browsing.
I have it set up in multi user mode and my account does not have root privlidges ( set us as a child )
As such no routines of any sort can be loaded into the computer by an app without an administrator approving it.
So when I started to get multiple request per session to allow the browser to write routines onto my computer, I bumped those forums .

Now I might be really weird but I can not see any reason why any one would have to be on a forum full time on their phons unless they were a moderator who needs to toss out spam the instant it is loaded .
Dude. That was deep. It seems like you know what you are talking about. You talk like ground level developer talk.

I’ve used safari and hoped for the best for iPhone app store security. I know android can have more intrusive issues since they are more open source availability.

But would you still highly recommend Brave over Safari? What about a VPN? Is that worth while so I could continue to use Safari.

The VPN thing has always been interesting to me. I’m curious to hear your opinion. I think I’ll have more questions too so I will probably PM you soon.

The Internet is changing fast.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dude. That was deep. It seems like you know what you are talking about. You talk like ground level developer talk.

I’ve used safari and hoped for the best for iPhone app store security. I know android can have more intrusive issues since they are more open source availability.

But would you still highly recommend Brave over Safari? What about a VPN? Is that worth while so I could continue to use Safari.

The VPN thing has always been interesting to me. I’m curious to hear your opinion. I think I’ll have more questions too so I will probably PM you soon.

The Internet is changing fast.
Keep in mind that we don't allow VPN servers to sign up.