Symptoms of too much timing advance

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
4:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright guys, I have a few saws that I plan to play with a little bit, starting with muffler mods and gasket deletes then possibly timing advance and porting.

I am curious as to what happens if you advance too far. I assume it would have starting issues like popping back against the starter but really don't know. Would it become doggy in the cut? Run too hot? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ryan

ft. churchill

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The saw gets harder to start (harder to pull on the rope) and the saw will start to "kick back". It'll rip the cord and pull handle out of your fingers. I dunno what happens if you go further advanced than that.

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If to far it will spark well before top dead center. And the kick back is the fuel igniting forcing the piston down before it has revolved the crank to go down correctly. It could even spark and give you the backfire through the exhaust. Anyone ever put a distributor in backwards in a small block Chevy? Firing with the valves open

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I usually do 20/1000, which is a # I stole from Randy. I think he said he usually did not find any benefit of going past that amount. Also, I would rather not over do it.