Stupid primer bulb question

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
3:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ok i have a junky lowes special chainsaw with primer button. Saw has never been in wood and diaphram and fuel line were hard. Installed carb kit and primer bulb wont pull fuel. When i push it in it will not return out. I took carb apart and ck for blockages and reinstalled. Still no go. Unhooked fuel pine from tank and it seems somthing is stopping the air from pulling through carb. I would adjust and clean needles but you have to use a weird tool to turn h/L screw. Anybody had this problem before? I am ready to blow this homeowner junk pile up!!!!!

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
ok i have a junky lowes special chainsaw with primer button. Saw has never been in wood and diaphram and fuel line were hard. Installed carb kit and primer bulb wont pull fuel. When i push it in it will not return out. I took carb apart and ck for blockages and reinstalled. Still no go. Unhooked fuel pine from tank and it seems somthing is stopping the air from pulling through carb. I would adjust and clean needles but you have to use a weird tool to turn h/L screw. Anybody had this problem before? I am ready to blow this homeowner junk pile up!!!!!
Check the valve in the primmer bulb mounting as i think there is a 1 way valve in it and be sure the pipes went back the right way round.

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hoses are on backwards,pull the bulb off the instructions are stamped on it .
This would be unlikely since the saw has never been apart or even in wood. Got it from a old man who never even started it. But anythings possible. I will switch them and see what happens

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw will run and even rev pretty high half theottle but dies at full throttle

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Then you need to get a tool to adjust the carb needles. The high is to lean and that is why it dies at full throttle. CCW will richen it up and although I understand your frustration it does not always mean it is junk because you do not understand it. Lots of wood has been cut with saws like the cheap box stores sell.

decableguy2000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dave,
The tools are kind of cheap you can get them from ebay and amazon for about 20 bucks. The dolmar on my bench is the first one I have ever needed something other than a spline.

Jeremy

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the primer bulb make a squeak sound when using it? Far as my experience goes that tells you it should be working. I have had instances though where that was false.
Not sure. It just pushes once and never returns. Unhook the line to the carb and it pushes and returns as it should. I will switch the lines on primer. It might not be total junk but i dont understand why they just didnt leave the screws adjustable with a flat screwdriver.

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do alot of saws use this type of h/L screw? I dont usually work on home owner saws. Mostly older huskys and now stihl 460/046.

Ozarker

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It might not be total junk but i dont understand why they just didnt leave the screws adjustable with a flat screwdriver.

Because that would have been just too easy, and the factories don't want to make it easy for people to adjust carbs so that they'll have properly running ones, but ruin all the fine work that was done to meet the EPA regs at the expense of a decent running saw. Splined heads, or limiter caps, all work toward the same end. Buy the cheapo set of drivers, and adjust to your heart's content.

Last edited:

decableguy2000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well not sure what happened to @Motorhead post he said hoses
'Backwards ,pull the bulb off the instructions are stamped on it .'

I did switch without much hope and no results. Bulb still wont work right. There's got to be somthing stopping flow in the carb. Right? Come on guys humor a shade tree chainsaw mechainic here before i trash this little 235 husky lowes special.

decableguy2000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a thought Dave, do you have the return line and the pick up swapped around?

Jeremy

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope. I ruled that out too.

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will tear it back apart again and start over. Maybe even try to run and tune it first and if that works i will forget about the primer button. Ha