HELP! Stroker crank

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
5:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are crank weights typically just mild steel?
If I had to guess, 8620. Some of the top companies may use 4140 or 4340. Buuuut, being that most are mass produced, I'm leaning towards 8620... most auto-manufacturers etc use 8620 for their gears, shafts, etc...

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I had to guess, 8620. Some of the top companies may use 4140 or 4340. Buuuut, being that most are mass produced, I'm leaning towards 8620... most auto-manufacturers etc use 8620 for their gears, shafts, etc...

Regardless of the material, they are forged and don't cut very easy.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regardless of the material, they are forged and don't cut very easy.
Just gotta use Good carbide, proper speeds and feeds and they cut nicely resulting in mirror/rainbow finishes. Lol

Edit: Providing the setup and machine is rigid.

Last edited:

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just gotta use Good carbide, proper speeds and feeds and they cut nicely resulting in mirror/rainbow finishes. Lol

Edit: Providing the setup and machine is rigid.

Sure, but if you use carbide meant for cast/mild steel it will only shine up the surface.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sure, but if you use carbide meant for cast/mild steel it will only shine up the surface.
Well, you wouldn't try to cut a tree down with a butter knife, right? So yeah, it's important to select the proper tools for the job... 😆

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even so, takes a pretty sizable machine to cut cranks very well. Been done without, but I don’t recommend 😂
Tit for tat... small lathes that are rigid do just fine...
You can cut them on a Bridgeport if one was feeling ambitious.
Or in a lathe with a angle grinder attached... whatever works for the individual.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
4:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Tungsten inserts are often used to balance engine cranks; the density is more than the steel and they weigh more. This could be an option to offset the additional weight of a stroked crank

You could drill and ream a hole through the counterweight, press in an old carbide endmill shank, and then TIG a little bit around the edges of the hole to hold it in place.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
3:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just thinking about how you bore the hole, what you use for a shim and how it all welds together.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If I were offsetting the hole, I would fixture the crank half vertically my mill table (held by 3 jaw chuck clamped to my table, probably), pick up the center, align the existing hole in-line with my y-axis, and then move to the center of where the new pin will go. I would use an offset boring head to bore open the hole, to about 1/64" smaller than finish size. I would use a reamer to finish the hole, for a press fit on the crank pin.

Repeat for the second half.

I've never welded a crank, though, but I've straightened a couple on dirtbikes back in the day before I had money.

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I were offsetting the hole, I would fixture the crank half vertically my mill table (held by 3 jaw chuck clamped to my table, probably), pick up the center, align the existing hole in-line with my y-axis, and then move to the center of where the new pin will go. I would use an offset boring head to bore open the hole, to about 1/64" smaller than finish size. I would use a reamer to finish the hole, for a press fit on the crank pin.

Repeat for the second half.

I've never welded a crank, though, but I've straightened a couple on dirtbikes back in the day before I had money.

Better have a carbide reamer, it's hard enough to roll the edges on a HSS reamer.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The cranks are around the low to mid 40s on a Rockwell hardness tester... "C" scale... I checked a YZ250F crank with low hrs and it was 38 in a couple spots... the cranks may work harden.

Carbide would be best with harder material, there is no denying that. I regularly ream out pin holes in 400 series stainless where I work, which have been hardened to 450-500 brinell, which is mid to upper 40's on the rockwell C scale. 8% cobalt isn't obsolete, by any stretch of the imagination.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carbide would be best with harder material, there is no denying that. I regularly ream out pin holes in 400 series stainless where I work, which have been hardened to 450-500 brinell, which is mid to upper 40's on the rockwell C scale. 8% cobalt isn't obsolete, by any stretch of the imagination.
It should work. I try and use what makes the job easier and faster... providing I have what I need... if not, I'll interpolate it on the HAAS. Lol

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It should work. I try and use what makes the job easier and faster... providing I have what I need... if not, I'll interpolate it on the HAAS. Lol
And I'd interpolate in the prototrak after-hours as well, given the chance!

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We also just received our New VF3 HAAS... I'm not a fan of the controls/touch screen. The 2013 VF2 is Much more friendlier to navigate... more direct.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We got a new white prototrak, late 2023... very nice machines!

The last Haas I ran regularly was a little TM-1 that had been ridden hard and put away wet for years.... but it still did alright. 22 years making chips for money this year; you run a bit of it all eventually.

I'm a fan of the conversational programming aspect on prototrak machines, and really want to add one to my home shop. Great for one-off parts and short run production.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm a fan of the conversational programming aspect on prototrak machines, and really want to add one to my home shop. Great for one-off parts and short run prproduction.
We have a Trak K4 that's been used... I wouldn't mind having it in my garage... I'd gladly get rid of my Bridgeport

Last edited: