Strange find inside a ms390!!!!!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you scribe that mark around the piece of metal on top of the piston? It looks like to me someone tried to epoxy that piece on there, to raise compression. Perhaps that mark is where they lined it up.
No, I just happen to see that outline on the top of the piston, and when I put that slug on there it matched up perfectly....

I didn’t get a chance to look at it last night, we take the little one to swim on friday nights after work, so once agian I got no “saw time”, lol....

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
12:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
No, I just happen to see that outline on the top of the piston, and when I put that slug on there it matched up perfectly....

I didn’t get a chance to look at it last night, we take the little one to swim on friday nights after work, so once agian I got no “saw time”, lol....

Slacker!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
1:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't 390's have orange tank handles? Usually white handles mean pro Saw. I'm not up to date on the newer versions though...
Yes the the 390 have orange handles. But Stihl made the 391 with white handles in the hopes of tricking people to believing its a pro saw lol

Loanstar

When I grow up I want to be a "they"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
my local stihl dealer has a 391's for $599 next to 362's for $749. They look very similar and the description tags do not explain much so anyone who doesn't know the difference usually leans toward the 391

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my local stihl dealer has a 391's for $599 next to 362's for $749. They look very similar and the description tags do not explain much so anyone who doesn't know the difference usually leans toward the 391

Same deal here, and I've even heard the dealer "upsale" the 391 to people, because in his words, "Stihl messed up the pricing, you're getting more saw for less".

Keep in mind, this is the same dealer who threatened to have my house raided by the feds for having bought and built a huztl kit. Also the same dealer who has told me multiple times that "normal folks" shouldn't buy pro saws because, ya know, they aren't pros... Sigh.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same deal here, and I've even heard the dealer "upsale" the 391 to people, because in his words, "Stihl messed up the pricing, you're getting more saw for less".

Keep in mind, this is the same dealer who threatened to have my house raided by the feds for having bought and built a huztl kit. Also the same dealer who has told me multiple times that "normal folks" shouldn't buy pro saws because, ya know, they aren't pros... Sigh.
:facepalm:

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
12:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score

That douche needs a swift kick in the sack. For multiple reasons.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Why do people even talk to *a-holes like this?
Do business with them, never!

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes the the 390 have orange handles. But Stihl made the 391 with white handles in the hopes of tricking people to believing its a pro saw lol

Homeowners are orange or white or solid black. Every pro Stihl is white with the black insert on top.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'd stop going to that guy. He probably rips people off for servicing saws too.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry guys, did I mention I have been busy lately, lol...we have 5, yea I said 5-Christmas trees up threw out the house, and just got done decorating the “main” tree....the social director absolutely loves Christmas and she basically starts in the 1st of November....the channel basically stays on the hallmark show channel to....

The way I see it, she puts up with my strange hobbies/ways and what not all year, so I have learned to give her 2-months of Christmas stuff, LOL

Anyway back to the saw....I realized that this is ams290, not a 390.....as I said, it has been a few months since I tore this saw down....

Anyway her are some more pics......CBDA41DE-2AA7-4769-B18B-40C44B2310CF.jpeg700D57F7-97C1-4BDA-884C-C88464098AC7.jpeg E50B30B6-E36F-42EC-9357-C23FC1C1525D.jpeg

If you look close you can see the imprint at the top of the inside of the cylinder...7C051B8C-43C2-4692-B28C-13D959591C51.jpeg

Stihlsmoking

City Hillbilly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Homeowners are orange or white or solid black. Every pro Stihl is white with the black insert on top.
I don't think that's the case anymore? Seen some like 271 or 280/81 that have white/black handles !! I don't consider pro saws??

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Perhaps it was someone's idea of a 'piston stop'. Just slip it in the exhaust port to help get the clutch off, then he forgot about it or couldn't get it out. I'm surprised the engine didn't grenade. I would never have thought the engine would have run for more than a second with that in the cylinder.

Stihlsmoking

City Hillbilly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Perhaps it was someone's idea of a 'piston stop'. Just slip it in the exhaust port to help get the clutch off, then he forgot about it or couldn't get it out. I'm surprised the engine didn't grenade. I would never have thought the engine would have run for more than a second with that in the cylinder.
It doesn't appear to have" bounced "around in cylinder much ?
Just one mark one piston and cylinder.