Paul Fithian

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi folks, new member here, and I greatly appreciate the contributions others have made to this wonderful knowledge resource.

I purchased this 024 AVS new in March 1986 with a 16" bar, Serial 115000914. It has provided outstanding service, requiring only minor parts in the past 30+ years. Except for the one time I let someone else use it, he returned it dead with a scorched piston/cylinder by running staight gas in it. It has run perfectly for the past 2 years with a replacement 42 mm New West (NWP) P/C. Never been serviced outside of my workbench.

I have a need to cut some larger trees on our property and want to run a 20" bar. I have ordered a Meteor 44.7 mm P/C kit and an aftermarket 026 cover. Saw is stripped down and cleaned, waiting on parts.

I opened up the muffler a bit with 3/4" holes as shown.

Any other suggestions on this upgrade?

Stihl 024 AVS Left.jpg Stihl 024 AVS Right.jpg Muffler Mod.jpg

Last edited:

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
9:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Measure your squish when installing the new P&C. You may want to forego the base gasket to get more compression. A timing advance will also add a little grrr.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
11:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t ruin the look of the saw with the 260 cover.

In addition, it’s likely your 44.7 meteor will make less power than your current 42mm jug does.

See if you can return the meteor cylinder. I have 44.7 oem P&C if interested. Also have metal 024 airfilters.

Add a 194 carb to it.

The 2 rear 026/260 cylinder fins can be remove with a sawzall and smoothed w a belt sander.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, I did read every page of that thread a few days ago. Great resource!

Why would a new Meteor 44.7 make less power than the current New West 42 P/C?

Because aftermarket top ends almost always underperform compared to factory. In this case you gain a little displacement, but you sacrifice stuff like piston weight, port shape and timing, squish tolerance, combustion chamber shape, etc. There may be a few exceptions, and with some modifications maybe it's more common, but generally, the factory top end is gonna be the best performing option.

Paul Fithian

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Ryan!

My factory 024 S top end was destroyed a few years ago by an associate, the only time the saw was ever run by anyone but me. He mentioned ". . . it was "running hot, then stopped. Don't know why." Looked like this when he gave it back to me:

Stihl 024 OEM Piston Damage.jpg

It has a NWP P/C that I installed ~ 2 years ago. Runs perfect and I have cut a lot of wood with it since. Looks like this after I removed it the other day, maybe 10 tanks of fuel through it:

New West cylinder as removed 2.jpg New West piston as removed.jpg New West plug as removed.jpg

Last edited:

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Ryan!

My factory 024 S top end was destroyed a few years ago by an associate, the only time the saw was ever run by anyone but me. He mentioned ". . . it was "running hot, then stopped. Don't know why." Looked like this when he gave it back to me:

View attachment 355414

It has a New West P/C that I installed ~ 2 years ago. Runs perfect and I have cut a lot of wood with it since. Looks like this after I removed it the other day, maybe 10 tanks of fuel through it:

View attachment 355411 View attachment 355412 View attachment 355413

Gotcha. I missed the part about the new top end being aftermarket. Your best option, by a pretty wide margin in my opinion, would be to take the good doctor Al up on his offer for a OEM piston and cylinder.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I landed an 024 WB with a slightly scalded piston caused by a restrictive muffler .I've used it for around 10 years since with no problems by just gutting the muffler and retuning the carb .For a little saw it does okay but at 42 CCs it's not an oak slayer .I did however replace the clutch drum with a later model rim drive drum from an 026 that had a wire drive oil pump by cutting the drum down with a 12 "disc sander . It's got enough power unless you are looking for bragging rights .

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
9:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The metal air filter Dr. Al is offering will be an improvement over a flocked filter. I agree that an OEM 44.7 cylinder is the best call.