Stihl usg

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@PA Plumber what do you do with a file that you can’t do with a grinder?

To be fair, I have not tested the Stihl USG ground chain against hand filed recently. I should get that freshened up in my head.

I have tested the Northern tool and Tecomec grinders against hand filing a lot.
I think the offset round file, deep gullet, and no heat is what made a hand filed chain sweet.
The other thing I noticed when grinding chain, the cutters needed to be fairly close in length or the saw would curve in the cut.
When hand filing, the cutters could be significantly different lengths and still get straight cuts.

Last edited:

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@PA Plumber what do you do with a file that you can’t do with a grinder?

I don't really know. I think it cuts a little better and is a little smoother.
If I remember correctly, The first pass or two with a file might be a little grabby then smooth. Smooth seemed to work for me.
I have not hand filed since I've set the USG at it current settings. It cuts fairly well in all types of wood.
I do have to be a little more careful about the how aggressively I grind the rakers now though. With the USG the chain can get "grabby" pretty quickly when cutting hardwoods.

Last edited:

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since you have both, would you translate the angles from one to the other? Please and thanks.

I don't have the angles set on my Speed Sharp (Tecomec) any more. It's set at 90 and 0 for grinding rakers.
The return spring broke on the Northern Tool grinder years ago. It's in a box in the basement somewhere.
I really like the old Northern Tool Grinder. Had a special washer/spacer made up for it that centered the vise. It could be swung from one side to the other with no adjustment and be within 3 or 4 thousandths.