High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl usg

mitchm1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I’m probably just too ingrained to the Oregon/Tecomec types but... what I can’t seem to get used to is that, like a lot of stihl stuff, the USG is set up different/opposite/backwards of virtually everyone else. Just because, I guess.

And because it has no reverse, to me it’s useless for rakers. I use a dedicated cheapy model Tacomec that has reverse for that anyway.

They may hold up better for commercial use but for my own purposes I wouldn’t have bothered if I hadn’t gotten it for a price I couldn’t refuse. A 511ax will do everything it will or more...

I just put one of those blue ceramic Oregon wheels on mine, easy to adapt due to the small arbor size of the usg, just a little washer required.
Not much time on the wheel but I like it well enough so far, though I like the cbn better and seems like $ for $ a cbn is a better deal for the long haul.

Can you post a picture of your cutter after sharpening from the blue ceramic?
e7bd01a959eb71c3c26c2bbab397a41d.jpg

CBN wheel but looks a little corse to me .
After a tank of fuel I run a file through it and comes back to life or as better than when I started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mitchm1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of your cutter after sharpening from the blue ceramic?
e7bd01a959eb71c3c26c2bbab397a41d.jpg

CBN wheel but looks a little corse to me .
After a tank of fuel I run agile through it and comes back to life or as better than when I started

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry not home til tomorrow but can post one up then.

One thing I don’t like about the ceramic wheel is that it’s fairly coarse, maybe more so than your cbn. With the cbn you have a choice of grits, I believe the Oregon ceramic just is what it is, no options.

Good thing with either of mine is they both cut more or less equally cool but most any coarse wheel typically has the advantage there anyway.
Thing is here, my cbn is a much finer grit and leaves a nicer finish.

Down side of course is the cbn is almost three times the $’s...

mitchm1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry not home til tomorrow but can post one up then.

One thing I don’t like about the ceramic wheel is that it’s fairly coarse, maybe more so than your cbn. With the cbn you have a choice of grits, I believe the Oregon ceramic just is what it is, no options.

Good thing with either of mine is they both cut more or less equally cool but most any coarse wheel typically has the advantage there anyway.
Thing is here, my cbn is a much finer grit and leaves a nicer finish.

Down side of course is the cbn is almost three times the $’s...

True on the cost but my dealer has documented 2,000 loops + on a CBN
So I bought them and they have paid for themselves
But for a guy that was only sharpening his own chains it would never pay for itself in other he would never have to dress it

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agree completely about cbn, by far my favorite go to wheel, well worth the price of admission even for my limited use.
I got the ceramic wheel partly out of curiosity and needed something on the usg anyway. Plus I want to play around with some different wheel profiles, trying kind of pseudo square looking stuff. Have only done one complete chain though.

mitchm1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Agree completely about cbn, by far my favorite go to wheel, well worth the price of admission even for my limited use.
I got the ceramic wheel partly out of curiosity and needed something on the usg anyway. Plus I want to play around with some different wheel profiles, trying kind of pseudo square looking stuff. Have only done one complete chain though.

There is another guy with a USG on another site that is duplicated the square grind with it
And I have looked into it but I think my wood in my area might be to much for it to handle

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only way I know of to get true beveled square on a usg is with the attachment or a mod that lets the chain/holder move sideways in toward the wheel that has been first lowered in front of it.

mitchm1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Only way I know of to get true beveled square on a usg is with the attachment or a mod that lets the chain/holder move sideways in toward the wheel that has been first lowered in front of it.

That’s what I thought
But he Laying the head over more and shaping his wheels to match

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That will work to some degree...

species8472

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is another guy with a USG on another site that is duplicated the square grind with it
And I have looked into it but I think my wood in my area might be to much for it to handle

Tried this on my USG cut ok. bit of stuffing around for the gains you get. So I just got a square grinder.
20180326_153414-jpg.117756

Nighthunter

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's your power Nighthunter?
We get 240 volt with a 3 pin plug. Why won't Stihl sell the grinder there? Just the power supply issues?
we have 220v different but different 3 pin plug, should have been clearer about importing a tecomex grinder but I can buy a USG here for a little over 500 euro

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a lot of chainsaw equipment and saws. In my stash is a Stihl 034S and a USG, Ive decided those are the last 2 things I will ever sell. Ive paid for my USG so many times over. I will also recommend the foot cable clamp, speeds up the process.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can look this eve, but sure someone can come up with it sooner on here. I was surprised it was not that expensive.

Pony

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
we have 220v different but different 3 pin plug, should have been clearer about importing a tecomex grinder but I can buy a USG here for a little over 500 euro

Yeah the RRP of the USG over here is about $1100 Aust, which roughly equates to your price.
I got mine somewhere around $5-600, which is roughly the RRP of the Oregon.
I still believe the USG is the superior machine and if you can find the $$$$ it will last you a lifetime and you will be more than happy with it .

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get Stihl wheels. Stihl has a different arbor or shaft diameter than most other grinders. You can make it work if you can turn down a bushing or collar to offset the difference. I made one but do not use it, because I enjoy the Stihl wheels and get them at a very reasonable price. Order the Stihl honing or shaping stone right away also. I posted it with the part number in the past. I will try and find it.