AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
2:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn’t want to use anything else now that I have mine set up the way I do.
And we have one at work that is just bolted to a wall no vacuum and no additional lights and for some reason I don’t enjoy running it

CBN wheels are must for me
ab1440f5df0825969bf43a6bb3912f19.jpg
3e0e94d91c9996bc9f7103d3ac4683be.jpg

Long chain set up
Not the most professional look but works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just watched your video on the Tube the other day. Cool setup indeed.

mitchm1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I just watched your video on the Tube the other day. Cool setup indeed.

I put some thought into it over the years running other brands and thought if could afford a Stihl I would do like this
Plenty of light , vacuum is 40’ away and a comfy stool

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn’t want to use anything else now that I have mine set up the way I do.
And we have one at work that is just bolted to a wall no vacuum and no additional lights and for some reason I don’t enjoy running it

CBN wheels are must for me
ab1440f5df0825969bf43a6bb3912f19.jpg
3e0e94d91c9996bc9f7103d3ac4683be.jpg

Long chain set up
Not the most professional look but works

What numbers do you use on yours? The chart says 40, +-15, and 30. 40 seems awfully steep; I think it would be 50 on an Oregon wheel. Where did you get your CBN wheel?

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
12:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just looked at the cost here in the uk :eeek:

it wasn’t that long ago they were just over £500 aprox $600

According to the interwebs, Now it’s just over £700 :eyepop: ($840]

I could say I was lucky 4 months back I got one off the bay with the make an offer £300 + £20 postage ($380)
iirc it was up for about £400 ($480) maybe it was a bit more.?.

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used a few over the years.
Started out with the one from Northern tool. Then a Speed Sharp (Tecomec Hydraulic) which is now raker duty only.
Have a little Jolly I bought used but not used myself yet.
Currently running a Stihl USG. I like the USG the best. Great adjustment features.
40 deg tilt, 28 deg angle on the vise, and 15 deg offset.
I run the Stihl wheels. They do a nice job for me.

~Edit~ All of my grinders were purchased prewoned except the Northern Tool. I still paid quite a bit for the USG used.

IMG_5389.jpg

Last edited:

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Started out with the one from Northern tool. Then a Speed Sharp (Tecomec Hydraulic) which is now raker duty only.
Currently running a Stihl USG. I like the USG the best. Great adjustment features.

~Edit~ All of my grinders were purchased prewoned except the Northern Tool. I still paid quite a bit for the USG used.

View attachment 342882

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I remember correctly, I believe it's the angle that matched a chain I though cut extremely well.
It could be the angle for the Husqvarna X-cut chain, or some old Homlite semi-chisel I bought a bunch of years ago.
It's been so long since I set that mark, I really can't remember which chain it came from.

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I remember correctly, I believe it's the angle that matched a chain I though cut extremely well.
It could be the angle for the Husqvarna X-cut chain, or some old Homlite semi-chisel I bought a bunch of years ago.
It's been so long since I set that mark, I really can't remember which chain it came from.
Good logic, I,ll give it a go!

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good logic, I,ll give it a go!

Please post how the chain cuts.

I was reminded that it doesn't matter what angle the cutters are, they do NOT perform well on the little glass electric fence insulators.
2" up or down I would have missed it and the little bit of wire out either end. Hit that thing right in the middle last week with a felling cut.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 342882

40º seems to make an almost razor thin top plate. I changed mine to 35º to see how it does. What does changing the 15º offset do? Say changing to +-10? Any idea?

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 342882

The Stihl wheel seems great imo also. What I like best about the USG is you can set it and both cutters (L and R) will have the same geometry and length. My Oregon would not even be close.

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With semi-chisel and a 15 deg offset, I'm getting decent longevity out of the cutter and the chains seem a little sharper than when I used to grind at Zero Deg offset.
Could all be in my head! Some voices tell me it is and the others tell me it's not...

I tried the offset feature on the Speed Sharp and didn't notice any improvement from zero to multiple deg offset. I do notice improvement on the Stihl at 15 deg offset. I have not tried any other offset settings on the USG.

All this about the Stihl USG, It's still not quite as good as hand sharpening. Once in a while I get the hankering for a sharp chain. I'll sharpen with the grinder, touch up with a hand file, then round off the depth gauges with a flat file. That's a sweet set up for felling right there! Although, a machine ground chain does fine 99% of the time.

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had to grinder sharpen X-cut chain a couple of times now. It seems to do fine. I have not hand filed the X-cut yet.

I think I'm running the C-83

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Messing with making “baby C” with 1/8” thick wheel, worn down a bit on my USG. I used the offset for the first time. The rear is 0 offset the front is 15. Makes quite a difference. I suspect it will cut faster and be less durable. I like how it hollows out the side cutter under the top plate, theoretically making the side cutter sharper and dumping chips better.

22E258F7-8CE9-4BD3-AD97-4CEF66F19B97.jpeg

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 342882
Since you have both, would you translate the angles from one to the other? Please and thanks.