drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
4:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another Lisle owner here, but used all of one time.

Once @angelo c told me to knock one side deeper in with a punch as my first step, I’ve never had a single problem removing with needle nose pliers. Even on the little guys.

Money better spent on the OEM seal install tools IMHO.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
1:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never had good luck with the Stihl or similar seal pullers either, and I've owned both the Stihl version and knock-offs.

I just made my own seal pulling tools by getting a bunch of used flathead screw drivers at a pawn shop for 25 cents each and bending them
into a variety of configurations to suit different motors. In fact, that's a good way to get a lot of the special tools you need for saws - buy used
tools/drivers/sockets at a pawn shop or garage sales and then modify to suit. I have a whole box of "specialty" tools now done that way.

Boomhower

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I've never had good luck with the Stihl or similar seal pullers either, and I've owned both the Stihl version and knock-offs.

I just made my own seal pulling tools by getting a bunch of used flathead screw drivers at a pawn shop for 25 cents each and bending them
into a variety of configurations to suit different motors. In fact, that's a good way to get a lot of the special tools you need for saws - buy used
tools/drivers/sockets at a pawn shop or garage sales and then modify to suit. I have a whole box of "specialty" tools now done that way.

Got a stihl seal puller lined out. Still need a crankcase splitter though.

I did what your talking about with a couple of 026’s. What I dont like about that is there is a chance I will scar up the case or the crank with a screwdriver. I try to eliminate as much error on my part.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Got a stihl seal puller lined out. Still need a crankcase splitter though.

I did what your talking about with a couple of 026’s. What I dont like about that is there is a chance I will scar up the case or the crank with a screwdriver. I try to eliminate as much error on my part.
usually...and I stress the "Usually" part...the crank is harder then the tool...My fear was always that I would scar the crank as well. But haven't yet...( knocks on forehead)

Boomhower

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
usually...and I stress the "Usually" part...the crank is harder then the tool...My fear was always that I would scar the crank as well. But haven't yet...( knocks on forehead)

Man i looked at those cranks no less than 10 times to be sure I hadnt messed them up before i pressed the seal in.

Boomhower

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I got a stihl seal puller Ill give it a go. Still need a case splitter if anyones got one.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the record, I like my Stihl puller. The secret to success is to punch one side IN some to break the seal to the case. Then it will easily pull.

Boomhower

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
For the record, I like my Stihl puller. The secret to success is to punch one side IN some to break the seal to the case. Then it will easily pull.

Looking forward to trying mine out. Have a 024 project inbound soon.