Stihl SHE81 Leaf Vacuum Blower cuts out

MikeyMike

New OPE Member
Local time
4:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi, new to this forum and hope someone can help. I have an electric Stihl Leaf Vacuum which works great when it’s going but only runs for 4-5 minutes and then cuts out. If I leave it for about 10 minutes it will go again for another 3-4 minutes but then cuts out again.
I’ve checked the wiring inside and all seems to look immaculate. The main electrical cord is also immaculate. I’ve also made sure that the elbow and suction tube are properly mounted so that the union nuts activate the switch which closes the circuit to allow the motor to be switched on.
Any ideas or advice on what to do would be appreciated. Thanks

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome @MikeyMike , how old is the unit, is it still under the warranty period? If so take it into a dealer to have it looked at. The battery units are more challenging to work on with less moving parts to look at. Most of the time, on battery units, it's the battery that's causing the problem. I've not seen that unit before, does it have a removable battery or is it located inside the unit?

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Welcome @MikeyMike to OPE.

Is the power cord that you are using heavy duty enough for the power consumption rating, including a good bit extra for a long length power cord?

If this is covered, if in warranty take it in. Hopefully there isn't damage to the fan blades. I read a couple of reviews.

MikeyMike

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome @MikeyMike , how old is the unit, is it still under the warranty period? If so take it into a dealer to have it looked at. The battery units are more challenging to work on with less moving parts to look at. Most of the time, on battery units, it's the battery that's causing the problem. I've not seen that unit before, does it have a removable battery or is it located inside the unit?
Hi @hacskaroly, thanks for your reply. The unit is about 5 years old so outside warranty and it's plug-in via cord not battery. I asked our local Stihl dealer and he'd never heard of the problem but they're so busy it will be several weeks before they can look at it. I'm worried about throwing money at it if there isn't a known problem and fix.

MikeyMike

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome @MikeyMike to OPE.

Is the power cord that you are using heavy duty enough for the power consumption rating, including a good bit extra for a long length power cord?

If this is covered, if in warranty take it in. Hopefully there isn't damage to the fan blades. I read a couple of reviews.
Hi nbbt, thanks for your reply. Good point. I've been using a heavy duty cord, and tried another one to see if that is the problem but it doesn't appear to be the cord. The unit is about 5 years old so outside warranty. Our local Stihl dealer said he'd never heard of the problem and that they're so busy it will be several weeks before they can look at it. I'm worried about throwing money at it if there isn't a known problem and fix.