Stihl QC Slipping?

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
They've looked the same from the beginning.
So it wouldn't matter which saw got ported. If I get a new one I'll have that one turned up. If I get one used with more hours on her I'll have my current saw done. Thinking I'd like at least one MMWS. Why not the 461?
If it ends up being my low hour saw I'll give her a good douching so she don't stink.
That's if your interested. :D

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So it wouldn't matter which saw got ported. If I get a new one I'll have that one turned up. If I get one used with more hours on her I'll have my current saw done. Thinking I'd like at least one MMWS. Why not the 461?
If it ends up being my low hour saw I'll give her a good douching so she don't stink.
That's if your interested. :D

I'm really slow. But I do terrible work.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
had to fixdit for you ;) cos we all ready know,
#your nearly one of the best spinny thingy cylinder ticklers here.

:D

Not true.

I don't do any better than any of these other guys. I'm not after a perfect finish, or anything like that. Just try to make a reliable saw.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm not after a perfect finish, or anything like that. Just try to make a reliable saw.
I had to go back to that school of thought. Last two jugs got trenches dug in them right quick where the meat needs to come out. That dicking-round takes too long. I'll get better again with time. Pretty much gave up on trying to measure cross sections in the transfer ports or the exhaust. It was a waste of time.

I just looked over a 385xp, 461 and a 460 jugs.
460 was the clear winner in the nicest casting imo.
One 066 decomp here is very very nice as is with good stock numbers. Never ran it, yet.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not true.

I don't do any better than any of these other guys. I'm not after a perfect finish, or anything like that. Just try to make a reliable saw.
That's what I like. A reliable work saw. I've two I'd like ya to do. Why you? They're both Stihls and I know ya like em.
I've got a couple I'll play with myself. Just some minor massaging. I've got a ways to go before I'll play with port timing.
Playing with 4-strokes is a little more forgiving ..... which is what I'm familiar with.

Stihl Potlicker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 461 is gone BTW. I just got a message that once those that are in the system are gone, there will be no more.
that's why i walked out of my dealer with a 462 and a 461R when i ordered a 881 back in Feb. glad i did because he has over $50G in pro saws on order and does know when he will be getting them.

Homelite750

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been accused of bashing Husqvarna "unfairly". In my defense, I've said that when you take apart a new saw, and find the sort of things I've seen, that the members of our forum need to be made aware of it.

Well....here we go. Brand new MS461 with the spark plug cross threaded, and run in all the way. Made it thru the test run, and quality control too.

I'll be replacing this top end.....its scrap metal now.

View attachment 294868 View attachment 294867 View attachment 294866
Does anyone know how stihl installs spark plugs from the factory? That new spark plug looks jacked up, like someone used a 20 mm impact socket on it.... not saying you did. Over the last year the amount of factory mistakes I’ve seen has been more than normal. This year is the first time I found something wrong with something new from echo. They forgot to install the tank vent on a pole saw attachment. Easy fix but the bar oil mess sucked.

Attachments

• AE1786F7-FDD9-4975-B6D3-40ED079B0D47.jpeg
    AE1786F7-FDD9-4975-B6D3-40ED079B0D47.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 32

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The least they could do if they are going to forget parts is to leave out the spark screens and baffles, and use the wrong base gasket (liquid instead of solid).