Stihl MS500i

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's an extremely interesting debate chaps, if none of you have ever cut Aussie hardwoods you would be in for a real shock. The Sydney Blue Gum that I'm cutting has a density of 850kg per cubic metre (Osage orange is 775kg per cubic metre) and although it isnt as dense as it is when it grows in its native habitat (we have a far higher rainfall than Australia - parts of the West coast of the South Island get over 20ft of rain annually) it still is incredibly hard and heavy. Then, if the choice is between the 462 and 500, regardless of the 661, I think the 500 is better suited. I want to keep one 90cc saw and this will be the 660 (for personal reasons beyond this debate) and would like a saw between it and the 261c. I'd love to get a ported one but Randy doesn't have access to them at the moment unfortunately. The 500 is also readily available here too and my friendly dealer has given me an offer of $400 off retail with an out the door price of $2100nz ($1290usd).
1150 kg m3 green for Blue Gum not what I'd call a very hard hardwood like cutting butter really compared to our really hard hardwoods.
Only reason to keep the 661 would be if you run .404 and need the grunt to pull it all day every day.
If you like sharpening more often go one of the smaller saw's run 3/8 and don't look back.
1 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1150 kg m3 green for Blue Gum not what I'd call a very hard hardwood like cutting butter really compared to our really hard hardwoods.
Only reason to keep the 661 would be if you run .404 and need the grunt to pull it all day every day.
If you like sharpening more often go one of the smaller saw's run 3/8 and don't look back.
View attachment 242100
I hear what you say, I don't actually know what it is because it's been down for 12 years and all the sap wood and bark has rotted off, all I know is that it is some sort of Eucalyptus. The heart wood is seriously hard though and burns hot.
20200124_125546.jpg

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear what you say, I don't actually know what it is because it's been down for 12 years and all the sap wood and bark has rotted off, all I know is that it is some sort of Eucalyptus. The heart wood is seriously hard though and burns hot.
View attachment 242115
Hard to tell from the pic what it is. Doesn't seem to have much of any color to it might just be the lighting does any of it have a light pink color to it?
It's definitely nasty twisted grain looking gum hope you have an hydrologic splitter although it may still spilt ok by hand it will just follow the twisted grain when splitting.
Looks dirty all that dirt and crap from sitting so long I'd be running .404 myself it would trash 3/8 fast by the looks.

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to tell from the pic what it is. Doesn't seem to have much of any color to it might just be the lighting does any of it have a light pink color to it?
It's definitely nasty twisted grain looking gum hope you have an hydrologic splitter although it may still spilt ok by hand it will just follow the twisted grain when splitting.
Looks dirty all that dirt and crap from sitting so long I'd be running .404 myself it would trash 3/8 fast by the looks.
Yes, it has a very reddish pinkish colour when cut that fades to a yellow when weathered. Leaves horrible black stains in your trailer if you leave it out in the rain before you have a chance to unload. It's not too dirty actually as long as you dont hit the dirt. Buck everything nearly right through and then use a cant hook to roll the whole lot over before you finish the cut